Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2020, 16:01   #61

Re: Florida Hurricane Safe Marinas

When looking for insurance the cheapest areas to leave a boat were St. Augustine and Tampa. That says these areas have Not been hit as hard by hurricanes as other areas in Florida. We are in St. Augustine!
Marjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 19:02   #62

[QUOTE=flagatorclearwa;3186551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post

Curious how far up the Suwannee you went and did you have plenty of depth the whole way? I live on the river and I'm toying with the idea of buying a cat that needs lots of work and bringing it here to do the work behind my house. I'd need to remove the mast (or buy one of the demasted hurricane boats) to get this far north (bridges at Fanning Springs and Old Town), but I'm talking about a refit that would take 4-6 mos., so could be worth it.
It was a couple miles upriver at a small marina in the town of Suwannee, my boat draws less than 3ft & had to sneak in at high tide & once in the river we were good! Had to dodge a few trees getting into what was normally a houseboat marina but hey! Was a storm! They were building a restaurant when I was there a bit over two years now
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 05:49   #63
CLOD

Boat: none

There aren't any hurricane safe harbors in Florida. Lets be real, it is just a matter of whether the hurricane hits "wherever".
Old 18-07-2020, 06:00   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

yep, not much point on belaboring this issue....there are no safe hurricane harbors, ports, marina's, locations, spots, etc, anywhere in Florida, end of story.

Folks used to think the Abaco Islands, Hope Town harbor, Man-o'-War, Green Turtle White and and Black sound, and even Marsh Harbor, and some other area canals would provide some kind of "safe" hurricane refuge. Same goes for boats that were hauled out in area yards. Hurricane Dorian proved conclusively, that all these previously considered "safe" hurricane holes and haulout yards were hopelessly outgunned by hurricane Dorian.

That should set the example for anyone thinking there might be a "safe" hurricane refuge in Florida..there are none !!

You throw the dice, do the best you can, but after that.......
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 08:22   #65

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Everyone that lives here knows..........

The west coast of Florida is protected by Indians........ probably the safest place in Florida...........

https://www.heraldtribune.com/articl...s/605217769/SH
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 16:29   #66

Can anyone suggest a marina, without a fixed bridge to the ocean, well protected from storms, on the east coast of FL between Ormond Beach and ft Pierce?
jimbarnebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 15:45   #67

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
Green Cove Springs just South of Jacksonville is good. Affordable too.
Just called them today and sooo confused.

They list "Catamarans charged 1½ times standard rates."

Yet they said they couldn't hall out our Prout Snowgoose 35 which is only 15' wide which is not very wide for a Catamaran.

????
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 14:40   #68

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Hi David. Do you still keep your boat in Loggerhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
There's really no such thing as a hurricane safe marina anywhere, far too many factors play into it. But, as someone else mentioned, try to find one that is surrounded by land to minimize wave action. Any open stretch of water, or fetch, will allow the storm force winds to pile up big waves, and it's the waves that do the majority of the damage.

That said, the marina where I live on my boat meets my personal criteria for a hurricane "safer" marina, as it has only a narrow inlet off the intracoastal, no open stretches of water, and is also far enough from major inlets to reduce the effects of storm surge. No guarantees, but short of a major cat 4-5 storm, it should help reduce the likelihood of damage. The marina is Suntex Hollywood (about to be renamed back to Loggerhead Marina). I like it, both for the relative safety, and the amenities and people.

-David
PM2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 14:43   #69
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
Harborage Marina in St. Pete is as safe as you are going to get in Florida. Surrounded on three sides by land, and the seaward side (Tampa Bay not the open Gulf) is protected by a 15 foot seawall. The concrete floating docks are floating on 13 foot concrete pilings. I haven't seen an open slip in a while, but this is the season where everybody shifts. Give them a call.

yep good place. no storms have hit Tampa or St. Pete. yet

Tags
florida, hurricane, marinas