Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2016, 16:36   #16
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
Re: Foiling Cats offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
The G4 capsized because the person on the mainsheet was asleep.
Exactly. I kept waiting for the mainsail to be de-powered, but it never was. Maybe at that angle of heel, it was too difficult to get to the main sheet. There needs to be a block that automatically releases at a certain angle of heel.
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 17:04   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I think the new Macif and (Banque Populaire???) tris are going to be foiling ones. These will be (I think) first ocean going foiling multis. So then add a moment for it all to trickle down to cruisers.

I think around 2060 or thereabouts you will get foiling Lagoons.

Or just buy a foiling mono when this VG ends. 20+ knots and stability to match a cat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 17:21   #18

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think the new Macif and (Banque Populaire???) tris are going to be foiling ones. These will be (I think) first ocean going foiling multis. So then add a moment for it all to trickle down to cruisers.
b.
You are distracted some posts above I posted a video of a foiling ocean trimaran, Maserati and it is not the only one.

I have some posts about them with videos and tech talk on my blog. Look at the Index for:
FOIL REVOLUTION ON OCEAN RACING TRIMARANS
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 17:40   #19

Arghhhhh. Yes. You caught me unaware!

Nice ship. Looks heaps unstable but I am sure once enough development time and a handful of capsizes done ... things like this ARE the future of fasssst cruising.

b.
Old 16-11-2016, 17:57   #20

Quote:

Or just buy a foiling mono when this VG ends. 20+ knots and stability to match a cat.

b.
Its all been done before almost 50 years ago.

David Klepper in WILLIWAW 1967.

Sailed the pacific.

Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 20:12   #21

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

^^+1 I wondered when Williwaw was going to come up, it seems to me that this approach is far better for cruisers, the foils hinge up for light airs, and aid safety in strong winds by lifting the bow, giving enormous fore and aft stability. Its not the fastest configuration, but it may prove to be the most seaworthy.
Old 16-11-2016, 22:51   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Nice ship. Looks heaps unstable but I am sure once enough development time and a handful of capsizes done ... things like this ARE the future of fasssst cruising.
Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 05:58   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

[QUOTE=barnakiel;2259466]I think the new Macif and (Banque Populaire???) tris are going to be foiling ones. These will be (I think) first ocean going foiling multis. So then add a moment for it all to trickle down to cruisers.

b.[/QU OTE]

It will be very interesting how the VG foiling boats do. Sure there fast, but it's a large question that they can go around the world without the foils breaking. There is a lot of junk in the oceans, not large containers but little pieces of garbage that can accumulate on the wings and cause damage.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:05   #24

Quote:

b.
I don't think a big trimaran would be more prone to capsize on foils than without them. The same cannot be said on a small cat like the G4.

On a big trimaran to go faster they take one ama out of the water and sometimes the full hull. When they are foiling they don't need to do that to go fast and to have less drag.

Regarding cruising and multihulls I believe that will only be used on very big fast cruising multihulls (I don't know of any that has the size and the lightness to have them mounted) due to the capsize risk. Maybe they will appear in the Future, I mean very big cruising multihulls with foils.

The G4 is a good example. I believe that it would be suicide to take that boat foiling without a full very competent crew. As you saw even with a big and competent crew there is some rosk of capsizing.

On monohulls the risk is way less and I believe we will see soon top performance cruising yachts (cruiser-racers) between 50 and 60ft using them.
Old 17-11-2016, 12:59   #25

Yes. You are right. Foiling can actually be the more stable option.

b.
Old 18-11-2016, 01:52   #26
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

How about mini foils for offshore that just raise the hulls a bit to reduce wetted area?
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 02:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
How about mini foils for offshore that just raise the hulls a bit to reduce wetted area?
That is what monohull foils are intended to do and yes I believe that it will be in the near future for cruising performance monohulls and multihulls. The real problem will not be the technologie or safety but the price of it.

On my blog the last post is about a small 26ft cat designed to be easily operated while flying and I believe they manage it (it is the opinion of the ones that sailed it) but the boat price is 150 000 euros (not a cruising boat, no interior).

For that to work on a cruising boat the boat has to be very light, the hull has to be very strong at the insertion foil points and the foils itself has to be very strong. That probably will not dispense the use of carbon and even if the material has become cheaper in its utilization and some performance cruising boats and big maxi yachts are made with it, it still remains expensive.
Old 18-11-2016, 04:58   #28

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron.
No
Old 18-11-2016, 09:49   #29

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
That's exactly what they did on the Gunboat 66, but the boat nearly pitchpoled 1000 miles from land.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 10:03   #30

While they were racing and pushing the boat hard.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore, oil