Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 10:42   #46

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: For the Aussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
All the CW cats have been built in Chile for some time now. There are a few CW home builds but not many lately.

Most of the Atlantic 42s were built in RSA though the OP isn't likely to find one within his budget.

Cheers,
Old 12-04-2019, 13:28   #47

Boat: Morrelli & Melvin custom 52-ft catamaran

I have been reading this thread with great interest. My custom 52 ft Morrelli and Melvin designed catamaran, ADAGIO, is now for sale in Hobart, Tasmania. She was built in New Zealand, launched in 2000, and has had a recent total refit, and all systems recently serviced and carefully maintained. My husband and I have sailed 60,000 nm in her, as she is designed for a couple to handle. See her on: www.derwentboats.com.au. Our web site is adagiojournal.com with 18 years of stories and photography of cruising the Pacific. I have recently lowered the price significantly because I want her to have a new owner who will enjoy her as much as we have, and because my husband passed away and I cannot sail her by myself.
WombatWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 14:00   #48

Boat: PC44 Beach Marine Sailing Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
Something missing from all the replies is price.
Expect to pay double the price for the same boat in Australia compared with the US.
Plus expect hyperinflated prices for work to be done on your boat, for survey, for repairs, for parts, everything at 2 to 3 times the price you pay in the US and with nowhere the vast array of expert advice and professional workshops you have over there.
TOTALLY second this comment be very wary.... have been in the industry over 40 years ... beware of surveyors who are ex “famous builders” too as they tend to prefer boats built by themselves or friends. I’ve bought and sold over 12 cats and 75 percent I’ve bought offshore and sailed home because in Australia owners believe their cats are gold plated. I’m NOT a broker fan BUT have used Ian mackenzie from Catamaran Company of the Gold Coast at Boatworks and had a very good experience. Surveyor I would suggest you look at Simon Lloyd-Parker from Marine Sureveyors Australia who is also the treasurer of the association I believe. He is totally independent of associations with builders etc and will give an honest fair survey. Another thing to be aware of in this part of the world is that MANY times a composite yacht here in Australia is ply / epoxy or ply / glass .... buyer beware. I’ll probably be shot down now by many trying to protect their territory but your call and good luck. You want the best value catamaran...they are not in Australia..... my opinion only after over 40 years playing on cats ....
Peterbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 14:26   #49

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatWhiskers View Post
I have been reading this thread with great interest. My custom 52 ft Morrelli and Melvin designed catamaran, ADAGIO, is now for sale in Hobart, Tasmania. She was built in New Zealand, launched in 2000, and has had a recent total refit, and all systems recently serviced and carefully maintained. My husband and I have sailed 60,000 nm in her, as she is designed for a couple to handle. See her on: www.derwentboats.com.au. Our web site is adagiojournal.com with 18 years of stories and photography of cruising the Pacific. I have recently lowered the price significantly because I want her to have a new owner who will enjoy her as much as we have, and because my husband passed away and I cannot sail her by myself.
Here's a direct link to the boat
https://derwentboats.com.au/derwent/...t-sell/225967/
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 18:31   #50

Boat: Cal 2-46

Before you take off to the land Australia (land of exotic bitey insects, crocodiles, jelly fish, snakes and shellfish). Have a look at New Zealand. The most dangerous thing we have here that you may come across is a weka. Try the website Trademe where most Kiwis sell their boats. Kiwis are sailing mad, the selection is amazing, some local designers are Ron Given (he designed some of the most fantastic offshore cataramans, actually designed to go offshore, not just salesman talk), and also Roger Hill who used to work for Ron. When you buy, do it through a registered broker and buy direct from him. He will be registered for GST, and by doing so you can get the GST off the sale price on the basis you will be exporting the boat. And if you need work done, try either Whitianga, or Tauranga. Quality boat builders and repairers, and well priced. And the haul out facilities are first class and reasonably priced.
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 18:56   #51

Boat: Riviera 40

Lots of good info here. Having had boats worked on in the U S and Australia, cost wise very similar with $ per Hr, Quality of work better in Australia, and more reliable.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 21:18   #52

Lots of Aussie cats here in Malaysia and Thailand too. Some being built here now even Grainger designs.
Prices are much better than Oz and its easy and cheap to register in Langkawi.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 00:00   #53

Tour,

You say: "We would register in Britain, small ships registry, due to registering in SA is just expensive and a pain in the arse."

Have you checked to see whether or not the European "CE" plate certification is necessary for registration in the UK? I think it is necessary for selling a boat in Europe so not having it can limit re-sale area. Many boats sold in Aus and US will not have it.

Someone may know whether or not retrospective certification is possible and if so how and how much.
MikeDofFreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 11:58   #54

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

Hmm, trademe kicks you out, if you don't have a NZ or AU address. Pity, don't they realize that for expensive and mobile stuff like boats, people from abroad might be good buyers as well?

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 18:04   #55

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

First a note on registration.
Boats that leave Australia usually need Australian rego but local boats tend to have their individual state registration which is simple to cancel or ignore when you choose your selected Country to register in .
If you have any intention of returning to Australia ask customs about an export number (agent provided) to set your details so when you come back they dont slug you taxes.
Advice regards Queensland is valid and you can browse the whole East Coast.
Your ETA puts you in a rather tight time line to get fully North beyond the Cyclone season which starts in November although you could enjoy a couple of months around the Whitsundays and then you can stay south for the summer of 2019/ 20.
Rallies through Indonesia from North Queensland start in July and are good value especially for the cultural experience.
Your brand criterior is valid in that you have listed some of the most progressive and influential Catamaran designers over the past 4 decades.
You can add to the list Grainger , Lidgard and Simpson the later with a variety of boats built earlier on and now in the cheaper range of your budget but none the less still very practicle cruisers.
I think you are keen on a boat that can provide some kind of decent sailing performance as you have mentioned the above designers therefore you would be wise to steer away from the molded Polyester rubbish that proliferates the American market .
Oh BTW next time your lady is outside spray her with the garden hose if she smiles and laughs the second time then go with an open deck boat ( she is a keeper).
The bridge deck saloon / covered cockpit is one of the main attractions of Cruising on a Cat.
I dont know where the guy going on about about prices gets his info , yes getting work done in Oz is expensive because we have Tradesmen of Privelege but I dont agree on asking price, has he noticed the 30% exchange rate difference on a positive from US .
As far as expert advice and proffesional workmanship goes then the Australian priveleged trades people are up there with the best of them .
I noticed some nice bargains lately as far south as Tasmania.
Also consider the Malaysia area for a potential buy .
Good luck.
P message if you want individual advice without any commercial interests.
Regards Lance
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 23:16   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
First a note on registration.
Boats that leave Australia usually need Australian rego

Only if "Australian owned".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 00:40   #57

pirate Re: For the Aussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
10 % GST, Every one pays that,
We have the free trade agreement with the USA so there is no duty payable,
If its got a motor in it, you need a licence to drive it in Victoria,
Other states, No Idea,
You may have to register it, That varies state to state, Approx $80-00 in Victoria, That varies wildly with other states too,
International Rego, No idea on that cost, It was about $1200-00 last time I checked,
These are AUD prices,

If you are taking out of oz (eg export this no GST and flag in the usa in would be Just a other visiting boat so all taxes etc would be on the return to the USA
oldtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 17:12   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Only if "Australian owned".
And if Australian owned, then not "usually need" but MUST HAVE
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 09:34   #59

Boat: Trimarans!

A bit surprised that an Aussie cat discussion went for three pages without bringing up the use of balsa core in most boats.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 12:10   #60

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Alot of boats are made with ATL Composites Duflex panels. They are either balsa core or Diab foam core, take your pick. Personally I would use foam core every time, and did.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote