Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 19:07   #16

Boat: Future FP
Re: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Great posting and website. I look forward to hearing about and watching your adventures on your wonderful Saba.
Livelifeday2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:01   #17

Boat: Saba 50

Thanks guys

we certainly will follow your adventures and the info you have provided will be most useful. The limited amount of sailing we have done Jani Deux with 2 of us has been outstanding, and as you say the space is excellent and does offer so much more over other models.

Was the anchor upgraded and what are your thoughts on what you need and can fit ? and have you opted for a spare or a kedge

will definitely follow up on the Wingaker as well

interesting about the keel crawler, as finding 8 meter lifts do seem to be a bit far apart - was thinking we need to list ones so far have fond 1 in Portugal and 1 in Spain OK. when FP get their 'club' going would be helpful to have this.

how are you going with anode changes have they lasted more than 6 months and have you changed them from diving rather than lifting which the split ones allow you to do?

the canoe boom is wider and allows the sail to drop in a bit easier as the lazy jacks are about double the width apart.

we do have the Onan genny but as I said it is a bit of a beast and I don't rate it as good as the Kholer I have on my old boat - but not much I can do about that.
we also had the TV fitted in the master cabin rather than where they put in in the lounge. This has allowed us to put a splitter in inside the chart table area and then we can have a small TV / video player on the area in front on the frontt window and keeps the 'book case' to starboard as you come in for books or displays. this is really info for people contemplating buying.

overall I would still pick the Saba over all including the new 47 and the Lagoons ( if you can afford it )as the space and handling do offer so much.
look forward to your progress
jjrquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:55   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50 catamaran

Hi Jani. Great to get more details from you so others can see what's possible.
1. We had a galvanised Lewmar Delta 25kg anchor that came with the boat on 70m of 12mm galvanised chain. In May we took the Delta off and replaced with a 35kg Stainless Bugel anchor. In the new year we are changing to 100m of hi strength 10mm stainless chain manufactured in Germany. The total weight will be less. The strength greater and we gain 40m of length. The galvanised chain is a huge hassle. We keep on having to climb inside the anchor locker to push the chain which piles on top of itself over to the side of the locker to prevent the chain from slipping off the gypsey when the chain piles up. We will have to change the windlass gypsey to accommodate the 10mm chain (not too expensive) We have a Quick Dylan 1200w windlass. We absolutely love the stainless Bugel. Sets like a rock in all conditions. Very easy to keep clean.
2. We have a spare Lewmar 25kg Delta and a collapsible 25kg aluminium Fortress. We will try to sell the extra Delta we took off to fit the Bugel when we replace the chain. Both are only 1 year old so hopefully we should be able to offload them.
3. Anodes replaced last September. Looked OK when I was in the water last week. Hoping they will be fine through to next May but will check via a Gopro before then. The previous owner replaced them so next year will be our first time. I believe the Volvo sail drives do take a split anode.
4. Now I understand about the boom. Thanks.
5. We have TV in saloon where your bookcase is and one in master cabin. Have used both and love having them.
6. I totally agree with you about choosing the Saba 50 over any other catamaran in that size range. We sailed Lagoon 450 & Leopard 48 as well as Lagoon 440, Lagoon 400S2 and Salina 48 and the Saba just jumps out at you in so many ways as being head and shoulders above the rest. I could list so many reasons we love the boat that this thread would get too long!!

Sent from my SM-N920C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Lady Roslyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fountaine pajot, Saba