Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 07:25   #1

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI
FP Athena Construction

We are looking for a cruising cat in the 37'-38' size range and the FP Athena is one of the boats we are interested in. However, it seems difficult to get infornmation on hull construction and durability. I believe that it may be solid glass below the watter line, but I am not sure. One review states that the hull is "solidly built" to withstand charter abuse, but another source indicated a hull thickness of around 1/8 inch. Also, I was recently on an Athena and noticed a spongy deck forward on the starboard side. Can anyone give personal first hand information on the construction of the hull and on the overall durability of the hull and deck?
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 12:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: FP Athena Construction

We have 3 Athena's on our chater fleet and all of them have been in chater from their first day, respectively for 20,18 and 17 yeas. I don't know the thickness of their hull, but they are still in very good shape.
They are vey simple , easy to keep, seaworthy and they sail perfect.
Ealier models have a frigo driven from the engine and don't have a compessor. That means , unless you run the staboard engine, no cooling. Obviously, the saloon and the cabins are not as spacious as in the new models.
If you can find one in good shape, don't miss it..

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 13:17   #3

Boat: FP Athena 38

I have lived on my 1994 Athena 38 for 6 years. We have taken her from the USVI to Maine. She handles fantastic in snotty seas and is very easy to sail.
I can dig out the owners manual that had a lot of info on the make and build of the boat to find out about hull thickness. I do not know off the top of my head.
My Athena 38 has never been in charter and when we got her she was a very simple good boat. We have added some toys to help make living on her easier. Over all we have been very happy with the boat. She is a good size for us and our crew. We have been very happy living and sailing on her.

Good Luck!
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 13:33   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Fixing a post hurricane Dean Lavezzi in StMarteen we found in the starboard hull topside a laminate consist of : 5 mm glass ,15 mm core , 5 mm glass above the waterline , im not sure in the bottom but the hole run almost to below the waterline but we dont grind further..
Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 19:19   #5
Marine Service Provider

They are certainly not Balsa below the water-line so don't be worried about that part at least.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 02:56   #6

i owned a fp tobago 35, 1994. i hit a submerged object in vineyard sound. the bottom was solid glass.

when we sold her, the surveyor found a slight area on the forward deck, portside. was less than a 5" area. btw, i'd told the surveyor that she'd had a repair done on her bottom, but said i'd tell him where after the survey. he never found it.
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 06:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
i owned a fp tobago 35, 1994. i hit a submerged object in vineyard sound. the bottom was solid glass.

when we sold her, the surveyor found a slight area on the forward deck, portside. was less than a 5" area. btw, i'd told the surveyor that she'd had a repair done on her bottom, but said i'd tell him where after the survey. he never found it.
Can you give more information about what you hit, how fast you were going and how much damage it did? Also, what kind of repair was done and did you see how thick the hull was? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 27-09-2011, 11:54   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Hi Mike,

Unless you hit a wall, it's quite unlikely that that you hit with the hull but rather with keels. FP has a sacrificial keels and even if you completely destroy them, the hulls remains intact. In other words, the thickness of the hull doesn't matter much. I hit a submerged rock last month with my Orana sailing at 7+ knots. The port side keel was in terrible shape. I still sailed another week and it was fied in two days. The keels -intentionally- are made of very light material: balsa laminated with thin layer of GRP.
The thikness of the hull alone doesn't tell you much about the strength anyway. The resin used, the way it was applied, the shape of the hull and many other factors will determine the final strength..
Lastly, many FP cats -unfotunately- suffer osmosis, never seen yet any Athena with this problem..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 07:40   #9

I went by the local boat yard yesterday to look at an FP Athena that was in for some work. I sounded the hull with a nuckle (don't laugh) and the sound was definately different above and below the water line. To my inexperienced ear, the sound below the water line seemed "sharper", which I interpreted as an indication of solid glass. Also, the area below the water line "sounded thinner" in some areas and "less thin" in others. I am led to the possibility that hull thickness varies from one area to another, perhaps due to the designer's expectation of the level of stress or damage likely to be experienced by different areas of the hull. If true, perhaps this can reconsile the claim that the hull is solidly built with the observation of some that it is thin (in some places).
Old 28-09-2011, 08:24   #10

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

All FP hulls are solid fiberglass below the waterline.
Decks are 1/8 inch fiberglass exterior, 1 inch foam core, 1/8 fiberglass interior.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 15:42   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sibley View Post
Also, the area below the water line "sounded thinner" in some areas and "less thin" in others. I am led to the possibility that hull thickness varies from one area to another, perhaps due to the designer's expectation of the level of stress or damage likely to be experienced by different areas of the hull. If true, perhaps this can reconsile the claim that the hull is solidly built with the observation of some that it is thin (in some places).
Are you sure you were not knuckle rapping over bulkheads as you moved down the hull? Bulkhead spots will sound very solid vs. non-bulkhead spots.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 16:19   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Though I didn't measure the thickness when I added a thru hull I'd say 1/8" thick below the waterline is accurate.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote