Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 05:24   #1

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
FP Helia Help, please.

The pump for the shower sump in the port hull isn’t working. Shower and sink water overflows into the bilge. Owner says it was working a couple of weeks ago. I have been unable to find a switch on the 12 volt panel for shower sump. Any hints or tips? I’d like to get that sump working. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607347436.175671.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	228235
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:12   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: FP Helia Help, please.

It's trying to suck out shower water, so presumably it's clogged up with hair and soap scum. Give it a clean out and hopefully thunderbirds will be go.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:45   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

No direct experience. Page 22 might help, looks like maybe a reset button near the discharge?

https://noshoes-resoled.com/wp-conte...ers-Manual.pdf
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:45   #4

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
The pump for the shower sump in the port hull isn’t working. Shower and sink water overflows into the bilge. Owner says it was working a couple of weeks ago. I have been unable to find a switch on the 12 volt panel for shower sump. Any hints or tips? I’d like to get that sump working.
Sounds to me like you're going to need to shut down all the power inside the boat and hook up a multimeter to the shower pump wires. Then turn on the switches one at a time until the meter tells you the circuit is live.

I'm thinking the shower sump pump is probably on the port bilge circuit based on your pic. Do the circuit tracing I outlined above. If it is on the bilge breaker, great, you found it and can label the panel if you want. Now that you know the circuit is dead when you turn off the breaker, you can pull the shower pump and solve the problem.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:56   #5

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Isn't working. Does this mean when you turn it on it's dead silent? Nothing? Or is is it making noise but nothing is happening?

Dead silent means you have a dead motor or no power to the wires. Check with a multimeter. If it's making noise but nothing is happening you probably have a strainer somewhere in the line that's filled up. I have to clean mine every few months. In rereading your post it sounds like you may have a separate shower sump. A bilge pump in a box. If so, test out the electricity to those wires and then check the switch for proper operation.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:13   #6

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

I will have to double check, but on both my Lipari and Saona the shower sump pumps were tied directly to 12V, just like the toilets and are not tied to the 12V panel near the helm. If there is a switch of some sort, it is likely at the panels in the engine compartments, or it is just fused. I will almost bet that the pump blew a fuse, many oil which are the resettable type.

Our Lipari had manually switched sumps and our Saona has automatic ones. I have had the Saona go into a continuous pumping state. Popped the top off the sump tank and gave it a good clean, fixed the issue.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:21   #7

Some progress!
I popped the top off of the sump and wiped off the float switch. It’s not one of the floaty-type; its the solid state type with the two contacts. When I cleaned off the float switch, the pump kicked on and emptied the sump. However, now it won’t shut off! Arg!

The manual says the pump is controlled by a 10 amp circuit breaker. I’ve shut off every switch and breaker, even pulled some fuses. Nothing. The pump still runs. I have a call into an FP service center in aft Lauderdale but so far no response. The sound of the pump running continuously is driving Mrs crazy. May have no choice but to cut the power wire to the pump.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:22   #8

Solved. Float switch. Uber’d to a marine supply store and picked up another one. Will be back in business soon. Thanks for everyone’s help.
Old 07-12-2020, 23:47   #9

Boat: FP Helia 44 Evo

There are 3 12v distribution panels on the Helia located in the saloon just to the right of the mast with an access panel behind a saloon cushion, in the lower cupboard just outside the owners cabin starboard side and on the port side it is in the hanging locker just outside the rear cabin. For future reference the fuse for the starboard shower is in the saloon panel and is fuse No 5 of 10. Might be worth opening each panel and taking a photo of the lid that has a table listing each fuse and size etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E0C824B1-DCFD-44F8-BFA1-C67813514477.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	228284  
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 00:13   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
Solved. Float switch. Uber’d to a marine supply store and picked up another one. Will be back in business soon. Thanks for everyone’s help.

I keep a spare pump and a spare float switch on board. Seems like I replace parts on it every couple of years. I also clean the sump and switch every couple of months to reduce the build up of soap scum.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 13:38   #11

Boat: FP Helia 44

Sorry to switch but I cannot find a related thread. We have a Helia 44 Evo Owners version. I am trying to find a recommendation of which washing machine fits into the hull and then the space left in front of the master shower? Does anyone know if there is one that does not require major surgery to get it in location? Regards.
Douglaskimkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 14:25   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglaskimkaty View Post
Sorry to switch but I cannot find a related thread. We have a Helia 44 Evo Owners version. I am trying to find a recommendation of which washing machine fits into the hull and then the space left in front of the master shower? Does anyone know if there is one that does not require major surgery to get it in location? Regards.
The splendie unit fits on the shelf.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease