Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: A Multihull friendly marina
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2008, 21:27   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
In the UK The Multihull Centre operates just such a boat yard. It is also the oldest multihull boatbuilding yard in the world, we think, having been started in 1968. You can see more at The Multihull Centre

There are about 100 multihulls there and three monohulls. The reason is twofold. 1) the yard owners are multihull people. 2) the tide goes out so all boats must dry out for 12 hours a day. Thus no monohulls.

There are many other similar yards in Europe.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 21:49   #17

I would like to see a Multihull liveaboard marina

With half and half mono and multi hull slips, keep everyone happy.
Wide ones for 50 ft Cat that are 27ft beam so they would need a 29ft wide slip. Lets say around $5ft with wifi. Maybe let people buy shares
into the marina and they will take care of it better.People that bring in new people get some discount points maybe for fuel supplies etc.
Once a month get together to clean up the marina and pass around ideas
to make it better.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 21:59   #18

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Guys,
The original post made me smile and the subsequent ones almost laugh.
'What ifs' are sadly the stuff of children and best confined to those letters we used to write to Father Xmas. People don't set up and run marinas to fit the dreams of the users - they do it for money. So whilst it might be a nice dream to post vews of what one would like in a dreamworld, simply posting them ain't going to make it happen.
Sorry.
JOHN.
Old 30-06-2008, 22:47   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
A managed liveaboard community would be an outstanding idea. There are tons of places where you can get a condo with a dock. That seems to be the formula.

What is proposed is the dock without the condo.

I like the idea - I think to be viable it has to be expensive and well run. I would not mind paying "condo fee" prices for a top run facility.

How about owner's slips? You buy the slip as part of the development and then you don't pay dock fees, you pay a "condo" fee.

Then the idea of who pays what is simply a matter of market driven prices.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:36   #20

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
What's your beef with monos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
Okay well then how about a marina built specially for multihulls, where monos pay higher slipfees?
I've seen plenty of multis that I wouldn't want to dock near, so what's your beef with monos Y'ALLLLLLLL?
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:37   #21

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
They tried that condo docks here in stuart at one of the new marinas, you buy the dock then you pay condo fees every month, after about a year i think they had 4 or 5 boats in there and started renting the slips monthly to anyone who would walk in the front door.

I don't think they offer the condo option anymore. For me personally we wouldn't want to "buy" into a dock because we don't plan on being anywhere long enough to pay it off, nor do I want to feel obligated to stay in one area because I bought a dock.. hell I bought a boat so I could go where I wanted when I wanted for however long I wanted, buying a dock seems to be the opposite of the whole idea, but maybe that is just my view.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:40   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Swagman,

There you go raining on Little Otter's parade.

Little Otter,

Swagamn is direct, people do it for the money. Besides what's wrong with mingling with the mono's. They can be just as nice, trashy, and intelligent as any multi. The marina I am in doesn't allow things to accumulate. Yes you can work on your boat, but then there is a limit.

We have all sorts of boats, and just recently a troublemaker was asked to leave. We keep a pretty happy family, and mono's, multi's, and power folk all gather often in the crew lounge for potluck. It's no Nirvana, but it sure is pleasant, and rather inexpensive too. Multi's pay the same as mono's, by the foot in length.
Besides.....VARIETY is the spice of LIFE
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
There are marinas with nothing but live aboards. They are houseboat communities and have a homeowners association, rules for noise, how your boat looks, behavior and rules for storing personal crap on the docks. They also have permanent sewage hookups so that element takes care of itself. They work very well in general.

What you are imagining for boats with their own self-propulsion, could be modeled after houseboat communities. In the SF Bay Area, there are a few houseboat communities in Alameda and Sausalito that look like pretty decent places to live.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I like the idea of primarily multihull slips, as that makes twice as many for the rest of us real yacties!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:32   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I smell BAIT!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:56   #26
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Yeah .. First off - Little otter, at 16 years old, I'm not sure you understand what you are asking. Second, please don't bait the mono vs. multi situation. I will personally put you on vacation and close this thread ASAP. I don't wanna hear your "reasoning". Stop NOW.

All the rest of you all - GREAT job in resisting!! And some decent enough comments overall!! Well done.

Thomas
Cruiser's Forum Moderator
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 13:09   #27
Senior Cruiser

On the subject of liveaboards, I believe that if it is done right (subjective) that you don't have the run down look or the people who create that run down look. In the marina I'm in, we are 50% liveaboard (dying breed in CA!!). Dock Security walks all docks 2x a day and the rules are published and enforced. Further, the harbor requires a yearly 'liveaboard' inspection. No cost if you travel to their dock, $30 if they come to you. (you still have to prove mobility).
Old 01-07-2008, 13:14   #28
Senior Cruiser

Little Otter .. Please refer to your OTHER post that is almost identical to this .. I'm merging the two. Please read MY post in that thread to you.

which, since they are now merged, is just above.
Old 01-07-2008, 14:20   #29

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
S/V Elusive i'm not trying to start something or make anyone mad most of my friends that have boats are monohullers for petes sake, i like cats for their stability and speed therefore i'm a multi, I was thinking if i can't get the boat mabye my dad could do this ( he's tried crazier stunts before and made them work) and the thing about proving mobility is good that way there arne't junk heaps sitting there that can't move and guys plaese don't argue about the diferent designs i just saying mainly multis because there aren't that many marinas that can accomadate them.
Old 01-07-2008, 15:17   #30

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I think there's more "multi-hull" friendly marinas then you think. Many have side ties for multi's (here where I am is a good example). Here at nettles we've got one entire dock for side ties and two t-docks with 80 some feet on the end of each. How many multi's do we have in here? ONE and he's a transient. Let's face reality, multi is gonna take more real estate and when it comes to marinas the real estate is valuable. If you don't charge for it you won't make a go of it, if you charge regular rates for multi's and high rates for mono's you'll just insure a mostly empty marina with a few multi's in it.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas