Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2008, 13:08   #1

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
full batten main -sail slides

i have rutgerson batten cars on my cat and as the sailmaker has fitted overlength webbing on the intermediate plastic slides , thereby 30mm longer than the distance set on the cars ,i am considering replacing ALL the plastic slides with more rutgerson batten cars ,giving me 11 cars in total it seems logical to have them all the same , any feedback on this appreciated .
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:12   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Did you check the prices of the cars! I replaced mine recently, cost me $500 or so. Was that a shock!!!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:54   #3

Boat: FP Tobago 35
The only issue I can foresee is the fact that the cars are higher than the slides, so the height of your sail when down will be higher, and you might need to rework your sail cover.

The Rutgerson cars are not so expensive compared to bigger name brands.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 13:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
The only issue I can foresee is the fact that the cars are higher than the slides, so the height of your sail when down will be higher, and you might need to rework your sail cover.

The Rutgerson cars are not so expensive compared to bigger name brands.

Regards

Alan
yes i can accomodate the extra height in the bootbag ,i have used the old rutgerson cars as intermediates , which were not well designed and resulted in bending the axle on each one , which caused them to jam under side load . the 3rd series were better but the vertical pin was made from thin alloy and just got crushed ,i remade all the pins using s/s bolts /heated ,flattenned and drilled and then ordered 2 extra cars and ,lo and behold , rutgerson had gone to s/s pins too !! why do these manufacturers use us as guinea pigs ?? why don,t rutgerson research their products properly ?
Old 08-05-2008, 13:53   #5

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramos View Post
why do these manufacturers use us as guinea pigs ?? why don,t rutgerson research their products properly ?

Well.... maybe; These cars where not originally intended for use on large fuly battened mainsails with large roaches on heavy cruising multihulls. the loads on these designs are much larger than for a comparable length monhull. This is why we always reccomend that users consult us when in doubt.......

Reckon I could get a job in the marketing department somewhere?????

I guess it happens everywhere, in all kinds of stuff. Price pressure in the design cycle leads to this, but we are all guilty, how often do we choose the cheapest solution we think we can get away with?

Look at how many boats have undersized winches.

Cheers

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 13:58   #6

Just watch stack heigth.....
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 16:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Well.... maybe; These cars where not originally intended for use on large fuly battened mainsails with large roaches on heavy cruising multihulls. the loads on these designs are much larger than for a comparable length monhull. This is why we always reccomend that users consult us when in doubt.......

Reckon I could get a job in the marketing department somewhere?????

I guess it happens everywhere, in all kinds of stuff. Price pressure in the design cycle leads to this, but we are all guilty, how often do we choose the cheapest solution we think we can get away with?

Look at how many boats have undersized winches.

Cheers

Alan
I agree 100%. You will find that these cars were designed for mono-hulls and not larger fully battened mainsails on Multihulls.
The biggest problem we see is people trying to use product not designed to take the loads that their boat generates. This is mainly price driven.
Nothing less that a proper batten car system should be used on Multihulls above 38’.
Fard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 18:58   #8

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24
I spoke to a guy at Windslyce about their car systems, seemed pretty knowledgable on cat set ups, any one had experience with their products?. regards from Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 12:20   #9
cruiser

Or you could think outside of the box..........

Unless you design a rig that dispenses with them, you need really good ones, which are quite expensive-and track to match, of course. This is just one more example of taking a user-hostile rig and spending big bucks on highly loaded little stainless bits to tame it-and then having to replace them from time to time as they wear / corrode. So, do you spend big bucks to replace them, maybe too soon, or do you wait for the parts to fail in service, with perhaps serious consequences? Of course, it takes courage to think outside of the box...............
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 18:54   #10

Windslyce make a slider and a ball car system. The price is pretty good as well.
If my boat was anything over 40’ (12mtrs) then I would use the Ronstan product.
This is by far the best batten car system on the market.
Old 14-05-2008, 19:09   #11
cruiser

A couple of grand here, a couple of grand there, and pretty soon, you're talking real money-to paraphrase a senator.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 19:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
A couple of grand here, a couple of grand there, and pretty soon, you're talking real money-to paraphrase a senator.
Big Cat I do respect what you are trying to achieve with your design. However my concept of design is vastly different to that of yours.
I look at the cutting edge technology and try to apply it into state of the art sailing boats that been Mono or Multi hull boats. Your designs may suit a certain market place but it is not direction the majority of the market is going nor the Company I work for.
The yachting industry has a diverse range of characters within its ranks and is benefited for their input. And I thank you for yours.

Old 15-05-2008, 02:36   #13

Boat: Schionning Cosmos 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by waikikin View Post
I spoke to a guy at Windslyce about their car systems, seemed pretty knowledgable on cat set ups, any one had experience with their products?. regards from Jeff.
I have Windslyce rod style on a Schionning Cosmos 11. Work well. I understand they can be fitted to various tracks.
raw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 04:22   #14

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Raw1
High from around the corner. Like your choice of boat

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 11:05   #15

batten cars ...

well , i tried the old rutgerson slides today as intermediates and it was a mismatch ! the main would not run up in 2 knots of breeze and i had to jump onto the coachroof and pull down the main ! never before - it always piled into the stacpack on its own , so i have gone back a few years and fitted slides !it worked , it seems there was too much conflict/ friction between old and new rutgerson cars and not designed to be used together .