Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2009, 01:38   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlattitude View Post
A quick scan of Google Earth shows what appears to be 11 catamarans in Nelson Harbour, plus 2 tri's.
Yes that sounds correct (we visit there quite often). As I said in my post Tasman Bay (where Nelson is) is where most cats are because of the more benign conditions in Tasman Bay. Even so there are over 500 berths in the Nelson Marina (510 from memory) so using your figures even in Nelson only 2.5% of the boats there are multihulls.

EDIT: Have just had a look at Google Earth and would seem to me that since the photos were taken there are now a few more cats in Nelson as some seem to me to be missing from the area of the marina where most are - so maybe 3 or 3.5% of fleet there are multihulls.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 01:41   #17

Boat: Simpson, Sinewave 9m
insurance

$80k damages?? How much is/was the boat worth? Seamanship aside - how often do we read of mishaps at sea ... and what do you know ... uninsured. is it me or does it seem that a disproportionate mumber of mishaps occur to uninsured vessels? $80k ? based on cost of my insurance thats a sailing life time of premiums. PS: I am not in insurance sales
JacquiSydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 01:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlattitude View Post
A quick scan of Google Earth shows what appears to be 11 catamarans in Nelson Harbour, plus 2 tri's.
Which way up are they?
Old 20-02-2009, 01:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Which way up are they?
Yer should know that everything is upside down in the Southern Hemisphere. That is as long as they haven't gone down side up.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 07:23   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquiSydney View Post
$80k damages?? How much is/was the boat worth? Seamanship aside - how often do we read of mishaps at sea ... and what do you know ... uninsured. is it me or does it seem that a disproportionate mumber of mishaps occur to uninsured vessels? $80k ? based on cost of my insurance thats a sailing life time of premiums. PS: I am not in insurance sales
Actually, I think that you will find that in the world of long-term cruisers ti is the other way around. Those without insurance have a much larger reason to NOT get in trouble, and for the most part, behave accordingly. For sure it influences one's decision about abandoning your floating home in times of emergency. One tends to try to "self rescue" rather than lighting up the EPIRB at the first sign of adversity... or even the second sign!

We were dismasted in Insatiable I after 10 years of cruising. Cost a bundle to repair (after we got back to Australia on our own) but we were still money ahead compared to the 10 years of premiums for unlimited, short-handed off-shore cruising. Such coverage is always dear, and is often difficult to obtain at any cost.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone, Qld, Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 07:47   #21
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Cost of the cat is around $440k USD
insurance is around $6k usd a year
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote