Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2019, 17:55   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Galley Down and Store Bought Refrigerators (headache)

So I've decided to move my galley to amidships in one of the hulls, leaving it wide open above to enjoy light and airflow.

I have narrow hulls (boat is built for speed).

I'm trying to find a very wide refrigerator with a very shallow depth. Depth is the distance from the front of the door to the.bsck of the refrigerator.

Does anyone know of wider refrigerators with a depth of about 18-20 inches?

Other ideas include putting individual small refrigerator and freezer on the bridgedeck facing into the galley. This is above counter height so my girlfriend can't reach that well.

Also was looking at putting a full size brefrigerator up on the bridgedeck and walking up the stairs for each trip to the fridge.

It's been a brain buster trying to figure this out.

Current galley is aft of amidships in a spot many boats have an aft stateroom and it all works perfectly. But not enough cooling or light back there. Girlfriend is dead set against it staying there.

Thoughts? Galley up is not an option. Too small.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 18:52   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Galley Down and Store Bought Refrigerators (headache)

Multiple identical portable Engels, sideways under a counter on HD sliders.

Height as comfortable as possible for a human your GF's size or a little shorter if she's taller than your average.

Any can easily switch between being fridge or freezer, or turned off used for general storage once emptied of perishables.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 21:34   #3

How big a fridge do you want? I've seen a 140 litre one that would have fitted where our 100 litre one is, just would have been taller.

Ours is mounted on a lower section of the galley bench, where there's plenty of depth, but doesn't put the top out of reach.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Multiple identical portable Engels, sideways under a counter on HD sliders.

Height as comfortable as possible for a human your GF's size or a little shorter if she's taller than your average.

Any can easily switch between being fridge or freezer, or turned off used for general storage once emptied of perishables.
Reasonable idea, but Price. Omg. Ha ha.

I'm trying to use all off the shelf, reasonably priced items that can simply be replaced when they wear out. It's part of the boat's design philosophy. Need front opening/upright as well. It currently has a Norcold n641 which is 7 cubic feet (200 liters) which includes a 3 cubic foot freezer and 5 cubic foot refrigerator. That's a propane fridge. Works perfectly and is in a perfect location. However, we are changing the galley location. Trying to move away from the propane so we don't need to go get it every couple months.

Girlfriend is shorter than average, so while I can reach something on the bridgedeck from the hull, she can't.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
How big a fridge do you want? I've seen a 140 litre one that would have fitted where our 100 litre one is, just would have been taller.

Ours is mounted on a lower section of the galley bench, where there's plenty of depth, but doesn't put the top out of reach.
Do you have a picture of this setup you could upload?

I'm picturing it but have difficulty picturing this on my boat because the depth of the counter is so small. Hulls are narrow for speed so possibly it's a problem unique to my boat.

Currently have a 200 liter propane refrigerator installed and it works great. Need that size or larger (including freezer). That's currently against the aft beam bulkhead. However, we are moving the galley forward to the dagger board trunk area of the hull fir weight distribution and light/air purposes.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:23   #6
cruiser

Gotta pay to play with energy efficient DC compressor fridges.

With an off brand I am 98.4% certain you will not get the same length of service, and if anything goes wrong more difficult to get repaired.

A custom box with OTS kit if you do all the work yourself, maybe $1500-2000 for a single compressor, smaller box, but it's a big job, easy to screw up if you have no experience.

Of course if you are on shore power every other night, or run the genset a lot, then maybe never mind about energy efficiency, get a few cheap little "dorm fridges" and run them off inverter(s)?

Or maybe just do the cabinetry work for the Engels and buy just one to start, put ice coolers in the other slots, see how you go, save your pennies in the meantime. . .
Old 11-12-2019, 01:24   #7
cruiser

Or get a new GF. . .
Old 11-12-2019, 01:25   #8
cruiser

Or a different boat?
Old 11-12-2019, 02:09   #9

Quote:
Gotta pay to play with energy efficient DC compressor fridges.

With an off brand I am 98.4% certain you will not get the same length of service, and if anything goes wrong more difficult to get repaired.

A custom box with OTS kit if you do all the work yourself, maybe $1500-2000 for a single compressor, smaller box, but it's a big job, easy to screw up if you have no experience.

Of course if you are on shore power every other night, or run the genset a lot, then maybe never mind about energy efficiency.....
Our $200 Westinghouse bar fridge has performed flawlessly 24/7 for 10 years. We're virtually never on shore power.

Probably not as efficient as a fridge costing 10× more, but with the money saved you can easily get more solar and batteries.

And if it gives trouble, $200 gets a brand new one. $200 wont even get a fridge mechanic on your boat when the $2000+ fridge goes wrong....

John McEnroe
Old 11-12-2019, 02:15   #10

Quote:
Our $200 Westinghouse bar fridge has performed flawlessly 24/7 for 10 years. We're virtually never on shore power.

Probably not as efficient as a fridge costing 10× more, but with the money saved you can easily get more solar and batteries.

And if it gives trouble, $200 gets a brand new one. $200 wont even get a fridge mechanic on your boat when the $2000+ fridge goes wrong....
Precisely the theory for my entire boat, actually.

Plus Engles are also ugly and impractical.

No reason to use them at all in my opinion. I don't have a shortage of electricity.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Do you have a picture of this setup you could upload?

I'm picturing it but have difficulty picturing this on my boat because the depth of the counter is so small. Hulls are narrow for speed so possibly it's a problem unique to my boat.

Currently have a 200 liter propane refrigerator installed and it works great. Need that size or larger (including freezer). That's currently against the aft beam bulkhead. However, we are moving the galley forward to the dagger board trunk area of the hull fir weight distribution and light/air purposes.
It's unlikely your hulls would be skinnier than ours. 12..5 :1 on a 44' er.

I raised the galley bench to bridgedeck level, so I got more width. Had to put a raised floor in too, so the bench height was ok. The hulls widen a lot at the chamfer panels. The fridge is fitted in this wider part.

There's a photo here: Galley - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

John McEnroe
Old 11-12-2019, 02:21   #12

Quote:
Or a different boat?
Bro, you need your coffee the morning. Ha ha ha. I'd suggest brewing a pot. Lol. Wrong side of the bed or something.

I'm doing an entire fit out off grid nevermind being tied to the electrical teet while using the finished product. You have the wrong guy. Haven't had an electric bill in decades. Ha ha

In any case, an extra solar panel makes Engels completely obsolete. No need for those igloo coolers on steroids.

Looking to have a household type refrigerator/ freezer.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:27   #13

Quote:
It's unlikely your hulls would be skinnier than ours. 12..5 :1 on a 44' er.

I raised the galley bench to bridgedeck level, so I got more width. Had to put a raised floor in too, so the bench height was ok. The hulls widen a lot at the chamfer panels. The fridge is fitted in this wider part.

There's a photo here: Galley - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

Thank you!!

Despite measuring, I was having a lot of problems envisioning the refrigerator floating in the right spot as you have it. Do you have a freezer somewhere else?

Ceiling height was ok in the galley after raising the cabin sole? I was looking at doing a raised cabin sole also in the galley to help with this issue. Felt the ceiling might be getting a bit low.

Putting together the same exact galley you have pictured here. Same open to the bridgedeck style as well.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:45   #14

Yes, we have a 100 litre freezer in the other hull.

Headroom is fine. I'm 6'7", just about brush the ceiling if I'm wearing sneakers.

John McEnroe
Old 11-12-2019, 03:08   #15

Quote:
Yes, we have a 100 litre freezer in the other hull.

Headroom is fine. I'm 6'7", just about brush the ceiling if I'm wearing sneakers.
Ok! I'll start playing with these measurements again to see how this can fit together. Thanks!

Tags
galley, head, refrigerator