Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2023, 12:08   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Gearshift Ultraflex/Morse

Hello friends,
I would like to replace my old gearshift and have a brand new gearshift from the previous owner for a twin engine system as a replacement. It is an Ultraflex B74. I also have a new gearshift from Morse. It is a Morse MT3 for twin engine systems.
The Morse MT3 has an installation depth of 219 mm / 8.62". This gives me a tighter bending radius and possibly a chafing point on the throttle cables. I would therefore have to change the existing mounting hole as a whole.
The Ultraflex B74 only has an installation depth of 133 mm / 5.23". This means that the bending radius for the throttle cables is better and I would only need to adjust the mounting hole slightly.
Apart from the style, which shift lever is also better in terms of handling? I have the subjective feeling that the Ultraflex B 74 is more sluggish. What are your experiences?

Many thanks and best regards
Carsten

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
Keep Calm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 13:40   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Gearshift Ultraflex/Morse

We have a b74, and I don’t find it sluggish, but that’s just me. I recently sanded/painted it, got new forward/reverse stickers, and new handles. Looks like new.

If it’s sluggish, are you sure you don’t have a loose throttle cable or an incorrect cable adjustment at the throttle control on the engine?

If I had a gripe about the b74, it’s that shifting in and out of neutral could be a lot more crisp.
Old 13-12-2023, 23:07   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Gearshift Ultraflex/Morse

Thank you for your comment. I have already replaced the shift cables. They are Ultraflex MachZero and with the old shifter fitted it is also easy to shift gears. I have only tried the new shifters "in the hand" and it seems to me that the Ultraflex B74 shifter is more sluggish than the Morse MT3. This makes it easy to be tempted to step on the gas immediately after shifting. But as I said, this is just my subjective feeling when I try out both shift levers "in my hand". In practice, i.e. when the Ultraflex is installed, it may be completely different. And as you wrote, shifting from neutral to forward or reverse could be crisper.

best regards
Carsten

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
Keep Calm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear