Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2009, 07:18   #1

Boat: 30' Gemini Cat Tigger
Gemini Cat Texas to Chesapeake Bay

We have purchased our second Gemini. Owned a cat, went to a lovely classic sailboat Rose, now back to Gemini. We are picking her up in Texas and have to bring her from there back to Chesapeake Bay. Hop by Hop. Has anyone sailed Houston to Gulf Coast of Florida or taken the inland parts? Love to know more.
Cheryl Spauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 07:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and welcome aboard Cheryl.
Texas to Chessie should be fun. I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 16:04   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I was looking asome boats there, but found what I wanted closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Spauldin View Post
We have purchased our second Gemini. Owned a cat, went to a lovely classic sailboat Rose, now back to Gemini. We are picking her up in Texas and have to bring her from there back to Chesapeake Bay. Hop by Hop. Has anyone sailed Houston to Gulf Coast of Florida or taken the inland parts? Love to know more.
I know I was secretly hoping that I would find my dream ship in Houston and be "forced" to take a month or more off to bring her home. I blew it, I guess.

I would be a little cautious the first week. We lost both engines and had a few other minor surprises during our trip home. Nothing important... but we did end up sailing her into her slip... a good story I think I'm glad to have! We also had a through-hull fail - fortunately it was in a sealed compartment. This, after a survey.

We wish you luck, and perhaps we will meet in the Bay - it's kind of a small world for cats.
Old 30-03-2009, 19:02   #4

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We know folks in Corpus Christi that did the ICW all the way from Tampa. From their stories, it wasn't all that fun... Unless you have the time, the Galveston to Mississippi section is filled with LONG stretches without anchorages. But, they did it in winter, with short days. If you are leaving soon, I'd catch a norther (we just had one, and there may not be another until fall...), and go south, then east to Florida.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 05:32   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Congrats on your new boat, Cheryl, and welcome aboard! Check out Chuck Baier's blog. He describes the trip you're contemplating.
Old 31-03-2009, 05:37   #6

Boat: 2010 Leopard 38
From the Alabama area towards FL, you might check this blog Cruising with Jim and Deb Faughn
They have a blog of most of the west coast ICW as well as Bahamas etc. Lots of good Gem info.

Brian
RonRicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 20:57   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420 Seas the Day
We sailed from Ft. Lauderdale to Mobile last Fall, and then from Mobile to Corpus Christi along the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway in December and January. You can read our blogs and see photos for these two trips at FL to AL Trip 2008 and GIWW Trip 2008.

We don't recommend the GIWW, although it might be a better trip in the Spring or Summer. We are watching this thread with interest as we are leaving Corpus Christi in a few weeks to sail back to Tampa, Florida, and then to Key West and up the East Coast to the Chesapeake Bay area or farther north for the hurricane season. We'd like to stay on the Gulf from Texas to Florida, but aren't anxious to do the "long stretches without anchorages" Bill mentioned. Cheryl, you will no doubt take the ICW up the East Coast, but we have a 68 foot mast so will have to go in and out depending on bridge clearances.

Jan

Tags
chesapeake bay, gemini, texas