Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:41   #16

Re: Gemini Catamaran Charter near DC / Annapolis?

RE: "Performance Catamarans" I think Mr. B meant "Performance Cruising" which is in fact Gemini (eg.,www.performancecruising.com). I spoke with them and they aren't aware of any charter opportunities in Annapolis. They also agree the situation is both unfortunate and ironic given the boat was originally designed and built here.

RE: Sailtime, I've spoken with them too. They basically divide a boat up by eight members who then share the time. Unfortunately, their membership system (~ $1000/month) only guarantees you ONE (1) weekend day (Sat OR Sun) each month and 2.5 weekdays. That's for the "full" or "classic" membership too btw.

But since most of my sailing is on the weekends (preferably Sat AND Sun), their system doesn't work for me.

:-(
marvinmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00   #17

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinmartian View Post
RE: "Performance Catamarans" I think Mr. B meant "Performance Cruising" which is in fact Gemini (eg.,www.performancecruising.com). I spoke with them and they aren't aware of any charter opportunities in Annapolis. They also agree the situation is both unfortunate and ironic given the boat was originally designed and built here.

RE: Sailtime, I've spoken with them too. They basically divide a boat up by eight members who then share the time. Unfortunately, their membership system (~ $1000/month) only guarantees you ONE (1) weekend day (Sat OR Sun) each month and 2.5 weekdays. That's for the "full" or "classic" membership too btw.

But since most of my sailing is on the weekends (preferably Sat AND Sun), their system doesn't work for me.

:-(
Thats the Mob, They used to make the Gemini, They also used to send me emails stating they had Gemini's to charter, ???????

But I dont think they have any thing to do with Gemini's these days,

I just wasnt interested as I owned one,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:53   #18

Unfortuantley rental rates show you how much it really costs to own and operate a large boat, especially if you only want to use it occasionaly.

Assuming a 15 yr loan at 8% on a new $250k boat, you are looking at monthly payments of over $2400 or $300/month for a 1/8th share. Add another $5k/yr for slip fees and winter storage, another few grand for general maintenance and repairs, insurance is probably crazy high because it's considered a rental boat, you need to pay someone to manage it and then add a reasonable profit margin. Several hunderd per month is what it costs to do buisness.

Do an on demand rental and those numbers go up even more because you can't count on any rentals over the winter months. Also after 5yrs, you no longer have a recent model so people expect lower rental rates.

It's probably cheaper to pick up an older rough around the edges 3200 model for $30-40k, do the maintenance yourself and get a cheap slip and let her sit most of the time.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 14:38   #19

I understand the challenges involved when renting out assets. Trust me, it is even worse in aviation.

The thing is though, here in Annapolis there are several groups who charter both relatively new and recently-out-of-charter boats like Lagoon 380s, several manner of FP 40+ and even a Leopard or two.

It feels though Gemini charters would be ideal in the area, being able to charge a bit less for a boat quite qualified for the job on the Chesapeake.

But of course, I am and will continue to look at all opportunities. Yachtworld is bedtime reading for me.
marvinmartian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, catamaran, charter, gemini