Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 19:12   #31

Boat: gemini 105
Re: Gemini Noise Level

Hey Boatguy why you dogging on us Prout owners? (junky old Prout?) Mine is almost 40 years old and still on the water. Anyway along my adventures I saw the Gem with the 3 motors. he told me it was for handling and parking, everyone know 2 are so much easier than one. I had a old 3000 with twin 9.9s on it they sat lower couldnt even hear them at idle. rode on a gem with a 4 stroke honda talk about quiet thats the way to go. My friends gem 105 is louder than my prout, oh junky old prout and yes all the small cat got the same slapping problems. i sniffed around the hunter model, personal thought is hunter is a poorly made boat like the bayliner but you get what you pay for. I see the gem going down hill from here.
crazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 19:31   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Seriously, I can't see any justification for those 3 engines.

Most of the Prouts I looked at had either rotten bulkheads, waterloged rudders, dodgy condition drive legs, sagging/ peeling vinyl headliners or all of above.

I also have personal experience crossing the Pacific in comoany with a Prout Manta 38 which is consider a newer "refined" Prout design. I was sailing a much overloaded 35' 1975 IOR monohull and easily bested the Manta on all passages.

Was aboard the Manta watching a DVD in the Tuamotus when the wind kicked up. The chop in the ANCHORAGE during a squall began hitting the underwing so hard I thought we had drug anchor and hit the reef. A quick look outside revealed all OK and the skipper went on to explain I should see her at sea! His wife then mentioned the large quantities of whiskey required to get to sleep due to the noise. And they were sailing with 2 children!

My point was not to overly disparage the Prouts but point out for me the price of building my own custom boat was less than the initial cost of a well worn Prout.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 05-09-2012, 19:41   #33

Boat: gemini 105

Boatguy, I'm with you I got my Prout by default (price) got tried of mono no room and leaning. price was right so I thought? well added so much took her to the carib for a few years after retiring (wonder everyday why I came back?) a lot of poor preformance on cats because of the over loading of crap sailors put on them. checked out your blog, man good luck with the project looks like a one day at a time deal to me? 5 bucks says the guy down the street calls code enforcement on you before the first month!
crazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:49   #34
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Saw the new Gemini on the water today seemed to be labeled Gemini 341. A pretty ugly boat. Does look a lot like that Voyager 10 thing. Seemed to have about 6" bridgedeck clearance with twin diesels under power at 6 knots in flat water.
What's a Gemini 341? Never heard of such a boat. It also doesn't google, nor is it on Performance Cruising's website .... nor it is listed on the Catamaran Company Inc.'s website, they're the company which has the contract to market new Geminis..

So ... show me where it's sold or advertised. Show me specifications, drawings and photos.

Show me where anyone even called it a Gemini 341?????

I think you're confusing Geminis with some other kind of boat as any new boat product would be heralded as the 2nd coming....
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 18:12   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Could be wrong on the "1" is looked like 341 maybe 347 was about 75 feet away.

It really looked horrible in many ways so maybe will not see the light of day much longer. However, I would imagine its planned for the fall boat shows.

I know you're the expert (via google), but it is real and I did see it.

Cheers,
Jeff

Tags
gemini, noise