Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 06:54   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Gemini Noise Level

Just curious about the noise levels in a Gemini 105.

1. Is the engine very loud under power, or is it easy to keep a conversation going in the cockpit?

2. At anchor if its is choppy out is there much hull slap? If so is it very noisey only in the rear births or even in the forward master cabin?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 07:14   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
From my experiance with a 2000 model 105 the engine is very noisy especially when compared to the older outboard models.
On the 3200 we owned in any kind of decent chop in an anchorage the bridgedeck would pound. Not sure about the 105 but it seems the 105 has less bridgedeck clearance than the 3200.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 08:08   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Gemini noise level

I was anchored at Block Island last year in front of a Gemini 105. The hull slap drove me crazy sitting in our cock pit about 75 feet infront of them.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 02:46   #4

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: Gemini noise level

My Catalc 900 has a very similar layout (double berth over the bridgedeck in front of the saloon) so I can report that yes, you will get a bit of noise in there but also that it's not unbearable and you will get used to it. I have slept soundly in there when under sail as well, only being woken when we turned into the waves to head up a coast and only then was it unreasonable.

Can't comment on the engine noise but adding extra soundproofing is always an option. Something i've done with the twin Volvos on my boat and it reduced the noise a great deal.
Old 22-05-2012, 03:48   #5

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Gemini Noise Level

I was on a friends Gemini and had no difficulty maintaining a conversation with the engine going. It did not seem any louder or quieter than the average boat with an engine running.

Can't speak to hull slap as we were tied to a dock in dead calm conditions.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 04:05   #6
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy
I was on a friends Gemini and had no difficulty maintaining a conversation with the engine going. It did not seem any louder or quieter than the average boat with an engine running.

Can't speak to hull slap as we were tied to a dock in dead calm conditions.
Was the engine at idle?
Old 22-05-2012, 04:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Was the engine at idle?
Some may think that was a sarcastic question but I'd be VERY surprised if this was not the case. 'Conventional' boats have their engines buried down below in a well soundproofed box. My experience of these is that the only thing you can hear, unless at FULL throttle, is the water being expelled from the exhaust.

Boats like the Gemini and indeed my own Catalac 900, that have their engines up next to the rear cockpit will always suffer from more engine noise, although it shouldn't be too bad, especially with extra soundproofing like I already mentioned.
Old 22-05-2012, 04:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Since this is all third person/ second hand; I sailed by one in the intercoastal a few weeks ago on my Trac 14. The engine is very noisy. I believe it is a combo with some noise from the drive unit and some from the engine. Clearly you will get tons of bridgedeck slam on a design like this. While they certainly sold a lot of this cats I don't think that is any indication of how good a design it is.

I had a Catalina 25 for a short time a few years ago. I've had dozens of boats and the Cat 25 had one of the most uncomfortable cockpits I had ever been on. Every time I went sailing; I keep think how bad a boat it was for them to have sold so many!
Old 22-05-2012, 04:36   #9
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd
Some may think that was a sarcastic question but I'd be VERY surprised if this was not the case. 'Conventional' boats have their engines buried down below in a well soundproofed box. My experience of these is that the only thing you can hear, unless at FULL throttle, is the water being expelled from the exhaust.

Boats like the Gemini and indeed my own Catalac 900, that have their engines up next to the rear cockpit will always suffer from more engine noise, although it shouldn't be too bad, especially with extra soundproofing like I already mentioned.
The question was not meant to be sarcastic just a logical query considering the circumstances.
Old 22-05-2012, 06:42   #10

Indeed, that's why I said 'some may think...' because i find it impossible to believe that it was comparable to conventional vessels at anything more than tickover.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:03   #11

Boat: gemini 3200

We have a gemini 3200 powered with a honda 25 four stroke and after a day of motoring at 6 - 7 knots against the current (ICW) it's nice to turn it off. Can we carry a conversation while under way, yes.

CHeeRS!
-dennis
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 10:46   #12

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Its interesting in the brochure pic they have the last 3400 pictured next to a new 105 and the bridge deck clearance looks much higher on the 105 and much more hydrodynamic.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 10:47   #13
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla.sailor
We have a gemini 3200 powered with a honda 25 four stroke and after a day of motoring at 6 - 7 knots against the current (ICW) it's nice to turn it off. Can we carry a conversation while under way, yes.

CHeeRS!
-dennis
We also had a 3200 with a Honda 40. Pretty quiet especially if you kept the rpm down.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:17   #14
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos
Its interesting in the brochure pic they have the last 3400 pictured next to a new 105 and the bridge deck clearance looks much higher on the 105 and much more hydrodynamic.
The original 3000 model Gemini had the best bridgedeck clearance by far. I was under the impression the bridgedecks got lower with each new model.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:31   #15

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Nope, this was while we were underway moving at a good clip against the current. Just didn't seem to be any louder than most boats I've been on. I remember one or two really loud boats but not the Gemini I was on.

Edited to add: Can't speak to hull slap because we were at the dock, then under way in the Magothy river.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, noise