Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 06:02   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46
Gennaker Setups

Hi all,

Has anyone mounted a socked gennaker or other large asym to the top of the gull striker triangle? Yes, I have also researched Forespar setups.

Any opinions or alternate options are appreciated.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Gennaker Setups

Gaelen,

You don't want to fasten anything to the top of your seagull striker. It's only function should be to keep the mast out of the cockpit. It does this by acting as a jumper and spreading the upward pull of the forestay to the well supported ends of the forward crossbeam. Any additional pull in this area may overload the jumper stays which are already loaded far more than the forestay, but more importantly any torsion from a force applied to the top of the jumper/seagull striker could cause it to fail as it is not supported for a load from this direction. Hope that makes sense.

Far better to use the system you are no doubt familiar with; either a bridle or a bridle-supported pole.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Gaelen,

You don't want to fasten anything to the top of your seagull striker. It's only function should be to keep the mast out of the cockpit. It does this by acting as a jumper and spreading the upward pull of the forestay to the well supported ends of the forward crossbeam. Any additional pull in this area may overload the jumper stays which are already loaded far more than the forestay, but more importantly any torsion from a force applied to the top of the jumper/seagull striker could cause it to fail as it is not supported for a load from this direction. Hope that makes sense.

Far better to use the system you are no doubt familiar with; either a bridle or a bridle-supported pole.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I figured as much but I just thought I'd throw it out there. You never know unless you ask :-)
Old 01-02-2012, 19:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post

Mike
Hi Mike,
Where could I read up on a bridle-supported pole setup?
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 19:42   #5

Boat: Catana 411 glory days
Hi I installed a code zero on a catana 411 about 2 years ago. Bought a six ft pole from a Florida rigger it came with a end fitting for a spinnaker pole. Mounted it to the from beam put 2 pad eyes in lower part of bow. Had to reinforce the bows from inside ran 2 cables up to pole. I fly it in 15 knots of apparent wind. From about 70 degrees to about 190 works great
Gary russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 20:47   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

You really don't need the pole anyways. If you do a CF Google search for "multihull catamaran spinnaker" you will find several threads specifically discussing this.

FWIW, I also wouldn't tie ANYTHING to the seagull striker. Any pull forward would bend it out and render it useless.
Old 02-02-2012, 22:04   #7

Boat: boat less ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
You really don't need the pole anyways. If you do a CF Google search for "multihull catamaran spinnaker" you will find several threads specifically discussing this.

FWIW, I also wouldn't tie ANYTHING to the seagull striker. Any pull forward would bend it out and render it useless.
I second the above advice.

The PO pf my previous cat used to tie the tack line of the assymetrical off on the gull striker. I did as he said BUT I did not like the sight, after the loud bang, of the gull striker floating forward of the bow after it broke off at the beam weld. I don't think I have ever got a sail down quicker.
EXPENSIVE LESSON
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:30   #8

Thanks guys. In general I agree with you. I was only considering the vertical force, not the horizontal.

My base logic was, since the jib and furler fuller is applying similar forces vertically on the forward crossbeam, why couldn't you simply shift the attach point up to the top of the striker . . . however, as stated the lateral forces could prove devastating.

Considering the eventual installation of a proper bowsprit, I am planning to have a roller-prepared code 0 built, fly it with sock on a bow set bridle setup and have it installed onto the furler when the bowsprit setup installed so I don't have to buy two sails.

Tags
gennaker