Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2021, 14:05   #16

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Going offshore in a homebuilt catamaran?

Some of the best Multihull builds I have ever seen have been home built
Some of the worst Multihull builds I have ever seen have been home built
Some of the worst Multihull builds I have ever seen have also been factory built
Old 21-04-2021, 14:16   #17

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I'll say one thing - If nothing else, I love the warm look of that catamaran's natural interior.

I'd almost be content just sitting in a cove and looking at the interior. When the anchor rode swings you over to the other side - you've arrived.
Old 21-04-2021, 14:50   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
You can't sue anyone if there is a manufacturing defect. At least anyone with money. That's why the clown BIH, no money.
Rather snarky, nasty, and misinformed.
Old 21-04-2021, 15:21   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
He was lucky in one respect. He had a capable woman on board who saved his arse--and Zingaro was a Crowther which unfortunately had been fatally modified but no one had noticed until the thing came apart.

Please tell us more about the modifications.
Old 21-04-2021, 17:10   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Please tell us more about the modifications.
I believe a crossbeam was modified and reduced for extra clearance through a passageway. It also was deteriorated. The cat had a lot of miles under the hulls though.
Old 21-04-2021, 17:40   #21

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Rather snarky, nasty, and misinformed.
I’m going to have to agree. Often, you choose to build a boat yourself because what’s on the market is poorly designed and built.
Old 21-04-2021, 17:50   #22

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Wow, I didn't know any Jarcat had done Europe!

Ross, the designer, took his CC29 from Brisbane to Noumea I believe (could have been New Caledonia).
I resided on the boat for a couple of months on his mooring and went out a few times. They are good boats with a great centre cockpit design (I think a few were built with aft cockpit). Modestly rigged, they go well but aren't overly dangerous. They were designed to be light weight though and, like all cats and certainly anything like 29' long, don't do extra weight very well (like water and food for a huge trip!).
Ross' boat had a central small diesel in the cockpit with drop-down coupled shaft. I've seen the same on some Wharrams.
As always, the quality of build is important - encapsulate the ply properly, do the joins well, buy reasonable/good quality ply in the first place, etc.
The CC29 points pretty well into the wind by itself. I can't see the photos, but if you're lucky you got one with the tack-track. This is a elliptical track with car that the front stay move across on. It only works on boat that are very stiff all the way to the bows (typically built in upfront) but it means you can generally point higher and go wing-on-wing a bit more safely with less chance of gybe.
She's a light boat though, and at 29' does tend to hobby horse in chop. I'd put her on the above-average end of sailing cats 28-34'. The centre cockpit is extremely safe feeling though and I was never worried (though never out in shocking conditions!).
Old 21-04-2021, 18:12   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I believe a crossbeam was modified and reduced for extra clearance through a passageway. It also was deteriorated. The cat had a lot of miles under the hulls though.

I think you got one part right, deteriorated. The crossbeam from what I saw was probably built according to plans.
Old 21-04-2021, 20:57   #24

Boat: Beneteau

Looks to be a fun boat. A good crawl through should tell you a good deal about the build quality.
Old 21-04-2021, 23:02   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
He was lucky in one respect. He had a capable woman on board who saved his arse--and Zingaro was a Crowther which unfortunately had been fatally modified but no one had noticed until the thing came apart.
Ya...In his youtube he says they split up. More likely she had enough of him. The "fill in", he has now is...well...never mind. His new boat (thank you Zingara supporters) was in worst shape than he thought. Seems to be a pattern with this guy.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, offshore