Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 14:04   #16

How do the trimirans compare to the cats?
carraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 14:27   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Trimarans are basically a monohull when comparing interior space. But, they are very fast.

Have a look at this boat. It's in your price range and in good shape.

Boat for sale click here
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 14:29   #18

So you give up some space for more speed. I was using the search feature and also see they aren't as flat as the cats and aren't as stable in poor weather. Also that they can't hold as much weight.

I plan to use it as a live-aboard carousing the carribean from the Texas coast to the USVI and everywhere in between. No real desire to sail the world.

Thanks for all the help,
Carraig
Old 04-06-2008, 14:34   #19

Looks like a nice boat, but since I want it as a live-aboard it seems much smaller than most. I've also read that the smaller boats don't handle weather as well and not being an experienced blue water sailor I don't have any personal experience to verify or refute that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Trimarans are basically a monohull when comparing interior space. But, they are very fast.

Have a look at this boat. It's in your price range and in good shape.

Boat for sale click here
Old 04-06-2008, 14:40   #20
cruiser

Oh, bigger is definately better, there's no question.

It's just that bigger costs more than the stated budget. The 27' boat in that advertisement has more room in it than a 35-38' monohull. Remember... it's a cat.

I have the twin diesel version of the same boat. It was sailed here from England (not recommended). They were designed to sail the North Sea and are fine for anything you'll use it for short of an Ocean passage.
Old 04-06-2008, 15:10   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I've just looked thru the Catalac listings at Yachtworld.com and I'm very surprised by the differences in prices between the US and Europe. What's that all about?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 15:19   #22
cruiser

The difference is name recognition. In Europe these are premier small cruising catamarans. Unfortunately they were not a sales sucess in their time in the USA. There are relatively few of the 600 boats manufactured that made it to America.

Some think it was because of the brand name Catalac. The name was derived from Tom Lack Catamarans but here in the USA it's sounds like they were made by General Motors. Others think they were just ahead of their time as the company folded in the late '80's.

In any case, they are great boats and built like battleships.
Old 04-06-2008, 15:34   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
What is the head room in a 9m 10m??

I am 6'4.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 15:45   #24

I'm 6'6" ;-)
Old 04-06-2008, 15:48   #25
cruiser

It's 6'5" in the hulls.... yer not gonna want a 8M or a 9M. A 10M has more room but they are out of your price range and you have to move fast when one comes on the market..
Old 04-06-2008, 20:18   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
There is a Cross 36 trimaran for sale on the listings at Multihulls Magazine for 30K. The Cross designs are very good cruising boats. The Cross 38 would also fit your budget. There is also a Searunner 40 listed there for sale asking 69K. My personal favorite. They also come in 31,34, and 37 feet. With the trimaran you can go bigger in size to get equal or better interior space and load carrying ability and have superior sailing performance compared to a smaller cat or monohull in your price range. In multihulls size plays a big part in seaworthiness so a 34-40 foot boat is going to have more stability than a 30 foot boat. If you had 150K+ to spend you would have more choices in cats but in your price range a trimaran may be better choice IMO. The trimaran will heel a bit more 10- 15 degrees going to weather but as far as being less stable in poor weather I don't agree. It is arguable either way about which is better in rough conditions but comparing boats of similar size I think there is little difference. The tri will give you better light air performance than a cat or monohull. It is just a more efficient hull form under sail or power. And remember fast is fun.

My Searunner 40 has about 6'5" headroom and this could possibly vary a few inches either way depending on what height the floor was built at.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 20:34   #27

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
.... yer not gonna want a 8M or a 9M. A
Why not a 8 or 9M?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:08   #28
Marine Service Provider

27ft and 5 tonnes... She's not going to be a rocket ship of any kind and going to windward would be a slow chore, if it would at all. No way at 42k either, that's crazy talk.

You want a live-a-board cheap but still works well it will be hard to beat a mono for room to $$ value. Multis, as good as they can, be are generally not as good value when talking square foot per dollar especially at the smaller length end.

For the same money as that 27fter you'd get a pile of ready of go monos with piles more room, windward performance, superior load carrying and even a 40ft Searunner Tri, again more room and faster.

I'd say that if you were half handy with your hands there would be some great bargains hidden in corners and with 1, 2 or 3 hulls. If you were prepared to live in a do-up you could do very well for yourself.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:07   #29
cruiser

Catalac 8M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
27ft and 5 tonnes... She's not going to be a rocket ship of any kind and going to windward would be a slow chore, if it would at all. No way at 42k either, that's crazy talk.
Interesting point of view. but if you don't mind I'd like to correct some of this information? After all, you're talking about my boat now.

First they weight 6400 lbs, not 10000.

Next, I sail just fine up to 30 degrees apparent. 8 degrees leeway at 6 knots, 5 degrees at 7.

They handle great, manouver around docks fantasticly, and carry enough fuel on board to cruise under engine power over 600 miles (1000 kilometers).

I have more interior room and stowage than my buddy's Morgan 38'.

At 42K they are the best value in a small cruising catamaran on the market today. Catalac manufactured over 600 boats, before disbanding, and almost all of them are still sailing today. As you've pointed out, they are a bit on the heavy side. What you didn't mention is that the boats are heavy because they have solid fiberglass hulls. There can be no delamination issues with these boats as the hulls aren't cored. On an older boat, this issue trumps just about all others. Ask Bumfuzzle...

One last point, they handle direct lightning hits gracefully.

Overall, a terrific boat without equal in it's size and price range and one I'm extremely happy with.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:13   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Why not a 8 or 9M?
Strictly a headroom issue. You know, headroom conversations have come up before. I've never actual measured it, as it just hasn't been an issue. When I'm at the marina this weekend, I'll bring a tape measure. Incidently the 8M and 9M boats were built on the same hulls. The 9m has a better cabin layout, and slightly smaller cockpit.

For comparison, the cockpit on my 8M is big at 11 ft wide by 7 feet long with seating for 10 - 12 adults or so.