Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 03:58   #31
Marine Service Provider

Rick, I'm happy to stand corrected. The weight is what is listed on the website. As for the other bit, that was from a lot of looking at Cats recently and that Catalac shape isn't what I'm told by many is the best for windward performance, some have been very derogatory. I believe a boat that doesn't go to windward well is not for me. But as I don't actually know anyone who has sailed one of those specific boats and if you say it's OK, I'm more than happy with that.

As for the money comment, that was more meant as you can get a lot more boat for those dollars if you look at other types. As most agree Cats aren't cheap in the scheme of things and that boat may very well be good value if talking multis but not when taking all types into consideration.

Room wise I'm not to sure I'd agree most of the time. I had a 28ft cat and a 30ft mono, the mono is a lot bigger inside. All depends on the boat I'd say.

By the way I had the Cat and now have a mono but are into another Cat. You can swap around without limbs falling off or stopping the world turning
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:35   #32
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I'd be curious to learn which website you are referring to??? Mine is the only website I'm aware of, and in any case is completely accurate. My spec info was taken from the brochures, and you can just click on the original brochures on my website. I scanned them myself. Editorial comments are from experience. I believe I'm one of the few in the USA who have been on all Catalac models manufactured by Tom Lack Catamarans.

As for windward ability, that's a function of learning to sail the boat. The hull shapes are early an British design and work very well when sailed correctly. I already posted the leeway numbers. The boat sailing instructions are on my website as well, in the form of a letter from the Lack family and again from an editor from Practical Sailor Magazine, who happens to own a 9M.

Although it's certainly not your fault, it is interesting to see how 'facts' are repeated on the internet. That was one of the reasons that motivated me to put up the Catalac USA web pages.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:40   #33

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
I'd be curious to learn which website you are referring to??? Mine is the only website I'm aware of, and in any case is completely accurate. My spec info was taken from the brochures, and you can just click on the original brochures on my website. I scanned them myself. Editorial comments are from experience. I believe I'm one of the few in the USA who have been on all Catalac models manufactured by Tom Lack Catamarans.

As for windward ability, that's a function of learning to sail the boat. The hull shapes are early an British design and work very well when sailed correctly. I already posted the leeway numbers. The boat sailing instructions are on my website as well, in the form of a letter from the Lack family and again from an editor from Practical Sailor Magazine, who happens to own a 9M.

Although it's certainly not your fault, it is interesting to see how 'facts' are repeated on the internet. That was one of the reasons that motivated me to put up the Catalac USA web pages.
Rick... Just for your interest... I had the chance to buy the moulds for 2 of the 3 models back around 1990. I saw them advertised for a very small amount of money and thought of buying them as a future business opportunity. Didn't do it because of Lack of storage space. Spoke to someone from the family at the time but don't think it was Tom.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:48   #34
cruiser

I uderstand that John Lack has the 8M moulds and still offers a 'one off' build.

The family actually ceased production in 1985 when Tom Lack was seriously injured in an automobile crash. For a few years they struggled with subcontractors doing the actual builds while they maintained sales and service. Apparently, it was an unsatisfactory arrangement.

There is more Catalac history on my website.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57   #35

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Carraig,

At 6'6" you will have a real hard time finding headroom in the saloon of any cat you will be looking at in your price range. An open bridgedeck design (again, the Wharrams come to mind) may be your best option. A nice deck tent can be rigged and I have seen a Pahi with a solid bimini like the Mainecats that looked very nice. Again, don't discount a tri. It will be easier to find one with the headroom you need in the main hull.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:37   #36
Marine Service Provider

The website was the one linked too earlier in the thread, as for the rest of your post I don't understand what you mean. But that's OK, if you say they go well to windward I do believe you.

Mike, we had a tent that covered the whole foretramp, it was fantastic spot for having a nice snore off.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:54   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
The website was the one linked too earlier in the thread, as for the rest of your post I don't understand what you mean. But that's OK, if you say they go well to windward I do believe you..
Yes, that's my web site
Old 14-06-2008, 21:44   #38

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
With your ambitious plans it might be best if you get some offshore experience on other peoples boats as crew before you make the big leap into the sailing life.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 05:17   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carraig View Post
......want to be living aboard a cruising sailboat in about 3 years. I'm not sure how ambitious or realistic that is, but it's my goal.
Did you find a boat?
Old 17-12-2008, 05:51   #40

No, not yet. In this economy my boat won't sell and haven't found anyone to trade with yet. Thanks for asking though.
carraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 12:14   #41
cruiser

The double edged sword.. Good deals are all around but it's because no one is buying!