Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 12:09   #16

Re: Good Value Cat: Is My Dream Still Alive?

I know your looking at Cats but expand your search a bit an look for tri's as well. there are a lot of really good trimarans out there that will easily fit your budget and make great deep blue boats.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 15:22   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Tony Smith built the Gemini cats here on the Chesapeake down at Casa Rio Marina if I remember correctly. I enjoyed a visit there once many years ago. One could argue it's the best gunkholing boat ever built - wonderful for the Chesapeake Bay.

IF your plan is to stay here in the Bay for a time, go down the ICW to Florida and then across to the Bahamas, I'd say you'll be just fine. If you want to cross to Europe or head to the Pacific, I'd say no, IMHO.

There are older cats around; you'll just need to search and GET A SURVEY! Otherwise, keep saving your money and look for an older Leopard 40 (very sturdy) or Lagoon 380 (Lagoon's most produced cat in the 800s)

Good luck with your search.
I had initially really been happy with the price range of the Geminis, but after a lot of research found out that the bridge height leads to an excessively annoying wave slapping. I like to Lagoon 380s and Leopards, too...just would need to save up some. Would it be crazy to get a cheaper coastal cruiser now, since it will be a few years before we would be ready to go out in the ocean anyways, and then potentially get a bigger, bluewater-ready boat in 3-4 years if we are ready to cross into bigger waters? I'm thinking we might just lose a bunch of money in sales after only a few years of owning a cheaper boat.
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 17:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer1008 View Post
I know your looking at Cats but expand your search a bit an look for tri's as well. there are a lot of really good trimarans out there that will easily fit your budget and make great deep blue boats.
That's a good point...haven't really looked at trimarans, so I'll start digging into those. I always figured they would just be more than cats because of another hull.
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 19:00   #19

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Yes, looking around there are also affordable cats for sale by owner. Here an example located in southern Canada: Prout 37 Elite for sale by owner.

Good luck for your plans

onavegador
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:16   #20

Boat: Ocean Renegade 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettrae View Post
I had initially really been happy with the price range of the Geminis, but after a lot of research found out that the bridge height leads to an excessively annoying wave slapping. I like to Lagoon 380s and Leopards, too...just would need to save up some. Would it be crazy to get a cheaper coastal cruiser now, since it will be a few years before we would be ready to go out in the ocean anyways, and then potentially get a bigger, bluewater-ready boat in 3-4 years if we are ready to cross into bigger waters? I'm thinking we might just lose a bunch of money in sales after only a few years of owning a cheaper boat.
Are you currently renting an apt? If yes, then buying a boat that is very unlikely to lose much value in 3-4 years, and putting your previous rent towards the boat payment, would be a very reasonable way to go. You're also now partly paying yourself on the loan's principle.

If the 10% commission you'll lose on the subsequent resale, the loss in market value of the boat over 4 years, and any money you put into it is less than the rent you would have paid, then it's a win. It might not be too hard to find such a boat, and keep in mind that if you're still working full time you won't likely be doing a lot of traveling on it so you could get away with almost any boat and just use it to live on. Just don't overpay for it and get one that is already well depreciated (15+ years). Also use those 4 years in your spare time, to learn about the boat, it's systems and maintenance. That's a valuable investment right there that will transfer to other boats. Maybe try to just spend 50-75K on this first one, go smaller and older than you would like later. 3-4 years will go by quickly.

I dunno, just some thoughts. I know I learned a LOT living on my first boat, some things I didn't even understand about what I would want until after I spent a while on it.
css145hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:42   #21

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean.jedi View Post
A few years ago I heard of a Gemini blown over on the San Francisco Bay. Probably not reefed properly but still scary.
I agree, monos are much safer, they sit upright on the seabottom and because nobody sees them there it never happens!
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 23:11   #22

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
I'm thinking we might just lose a bunch of money in sales after only a few years of owning a cheaper boat.
Unless you have "concrete, immediate plans" to cross oceans, it could be argued that you could possibly lose more money on that more expensive, "blue water" cat.

For example, spend $300,000 on a Lagoon 380. Sit around the east coast of the USA for 5 years...... Maybe cross, maybe not........ How much depreciation do you think you 'll see. My guess is probably a third, or $100,000.

In the last five years, my boat may have lost $15,000 - $30,000. Maybe not even that much............. Depending on how bad I might want to sell it.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 23:32   #23

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
but after a lot of research found out that the bridge height leads to an excessively annoying wave slapping.
Too this point, all catamarans will slap at some point. And yes in the wrong conditions, Gemini's will slap like a 14' Carolina skiff.......

On our last trip up the west coast of Florida, we left Boot Key Harbor. As I passed under the Seven Mile Bridge, I knew it was going to be bad........

I should have turned around and waited a day or two.... But, we were on a schedule............ Pounded into head seas for about eight hours. Probably the worst sailing day for us ever. Did we die, no, did the boat survive, yes, was it fun, absolutely not.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 01:33   #24

Boat: Custom Catamaran

There’s an argument for buying your long-term boat now and spending a few years getting it up to spec / getting to know it tho.

Like I’ve said before, you can pick up a reasonable 37-42ft cat well within your budget. Spend a winter learning and updating the systems on it. Refresh the rigging. Take it out for day sails. Venture further afield each weekend. Do a custom sailing course on your boat. Spend a week or two at a time living aboard, seeing what works and what doesn’t.

MUCH better to do that than buy a $300k+ monster and expect to be able to head off sailing straight away, then find all sorts of breakages and issues in far flung ports.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 01:37   #25

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Not crazy, very doable. Here’s one of my favorite catamarans priced well within your range.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...dard%20listing
Had this cat been for sale at this price when I was looking, I’d have 100% bought it.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 03:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Try this one, offer 130k
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...dard%20listing

Sailing it back from PR would be good experience, a downwind run. Then up the ICW for the gnarly bits.
that thing seems to have everything,,,, except bridge deck clearance,,, be prepared for some serious slamming ...
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 05:02   #27

Boat: C&C

He's looking "to learn to sail on" in the Chesapeake! Not travel to Trinidad or Puerto Rico and try to bring back a boat with their inexperience. Like "DavyJ" mentioned above, buy an older solid depreciated one [like mine] that's in good shape, play with it while you figure out your dream. Upgrade things slowly the way you want them, try living on her and learn to sail her. Most likely you'll find in 4-5 years that this boat has tons of room, great performance, shallow draft , stable and the one you'll keep to do your dream in as we have.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 05:33   #28

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettrae View Post
Would it be crazy to get a cheaper coastal cruiser now, since it will be a few years before we would be ready to go out in the ocean anyways, and then potentially get a bigger, bluewater-ready boat in 3-4 years if we are ready to cross into bigger waters? I'm thinking we might just lose a bunch of money in sales after only a few years of owning a cheaper boat.

No it would not be crazy at all for a very important reason. You know nothing about boats and have no practical experience sailing on one or living on one. Which means that the likelihood of you buying the wrong boat for you is high.

There is a saying “buy the smallest boat that fits your needs”. Part of that is based on cost but also manageability.

If I were in your shoes I would buy a Catalina 30, live on it a few years and learn to sail. They hold their value well so you’ll be able to sell it at minimal loss, and your slip cost will be modest in comparison to a cat. And it will be an education on living aboard in a small space. You’ll learn a lot about managing and maintaining a boat and you’ll get to see and get in lots of other boats. THEN you’ll be in a position to buy the right boat for you.
Old 13-02-2019, 05:59   #29

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Your best investment might be classes or a week long live aboard class for you and your wife. You can even have an instructor come aboard your own boat to teach you the ropes (pun intended!).

If you're on/near the Chesapeake, there are several places where you can get training. Well worth it, with your goals.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 07:38   #30

Yacht transport from Fl to Med. about $ 1000, per foot. Cheaper if cargo on RoRo.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote