Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2019, 13:11   #31

Re: Good Value Cat: Is My Dream Still Alive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by css145hs View Post
Are you currently renting an apt? If yes, then buying a boat that is very unlikely to lose much value in 3-4 years, and putting your previous rent towards the boat payment, would be a very reasonable way to go. You're also now partly paying yourself on the loan's principle.

If the 10% commission you'll lose on the subsequent resale, the loss in market value of the boat over 4 years, and any money you put into it is less than the rent you would have paid, then it's a win. It might not be too hard to find such a boat, and keep in mind that if you're still working full time you won't likely be doing a lot of traveling on it so you could get away with almost any boat and just use it to live on. Just don't overpay for it and get one that is already well depreciated (15+ years). Also use those 4 years in your spare time, to learn about the boat, it's systems and maintenance. That's a valuable investment right there that will transfer to other boats. Maybe try to just spend 50-75K on this first one, go smaller and older than you would like later. 3-4 years will go by quickly.

I dunno, just some thoughts. I know I learned a LOT living on my first boat, some things I didn't even understand about what I would want until after I spent a while on it.
Those are great points. And that's how I had originally justified everything until I heard about how much maintenance costs were. That, combined with the harbor fees, combined with the actual boat loan started to pile up and scare me. But if we got a smaller, cheaper, older cat for 50-75k, I think it would be much more manageable. Now I would just need to make sure we could still save up while owning a smaller boat for a bigger bluewater cruiser in 5 years or so.
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 13:22   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Too this point, all catamarans will slap at some point. And yes in the wrong conditions, Gemini's will slap like a 14' Carolina skiff.......

On our last trip up the west coast of Florida, we left Boot Key Harbor. As I passed under the Seven Mile Bridge, I knew it was going to be bad........

I should have turned around and waited a day or two.... But, we were on a schedule............ Pounded into head seas for about eight hours. Probably the worst sailing day for us ever. Did we die, no, did the boat survive, yes, was it fun, absolutely not.
That's very true. And I would venture to bet that the better price tag will make those days of wave slap worth it....right? Since you're an owner, would you feel comfortable sailing the Gemini from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas along the coast? Or would you prefer to stick to the ICW? Just curious. Thanks
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 13:31   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good Value Cat: Is My Dream Still Alive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettrae View Post
That's very true. And I would venture to bet that the better price tag will make those days of wave slap worth it....right? Since you're an owner, would you feel comfortable sailing the Gemini from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas along the coast? Or would you prefer to stick to the ICW? Just curious. Thanks
ICW to past Cape Lookout then exit and go coastal from Morehead City/Beaufort.. you do not really want to go as far out on a Gemini as you would have too to clear Hatteras and Lookout.. there can be some big standing waves out there.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 15:10   #34

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Since you're an owner, would you feel comfortable sailing the Gemini from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas along the coast? Or would you prefer to stick to the ICW? Just curious. Thanks
I don't know anything about the Chesapeake Bay, but, I would not hesitate to sail a Gemini from Florida to Bahamas or really anywhere in the Caribbean.

Our next trip will probably be a direct shot from Tampa Bay to the Dry Tortugas. Slightly over 200 miles in the Gulf of Mexico.

You just have to try to prevent having significant headwinds on the passage. If not, stay put until you can.

I'm editing to add, we avoid the ICW if we can and go directly out into the Gulf of Mexico. Unless the weather is very bad. Boat wakes and bridges waste time.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 22:43   #35

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
ICW to past Cape Lookout then exit and go coastal from Morehead City/Beaufort.. you do not really want to go as far out on a Gemini as you would have too to clear Hatteras and Lookout.. there can be some big standing waves out there.
Quick question as I have no access to charts (traveling) - can an “unfriendly” 70’ mast get get around Hatteras/Lookout on the ICW? I’ve not done the Ditch and can’t recall...

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 02:45   #36

Quote:
can an “unfriendly” 70’ mast get get around Hatteras/Lookout on the ICW?
Not sure about the Hatteras/Lookout area, but a 70' mast will be a problem on most of the ICW in Florida. Most of the fixed bridges have been built to 65'. There are a few on the east coast that cruisers are reporting to be even slightly less. There is also one in the Miami area that is something like 56'.
Old 14-02-2019, 03:00   #37

Not sure of the inlets in that area trying to get around Hatteras with a 70' mast, but most of NC ICW is a no go as well.

Link to North Carolina ICW Bridges:

https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/aicw-nc.php

Link to Florida ICW Bridges:

https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/aicw-fl.php
Old 14-02-2019, 03:09   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Quick question as I have no access to charts (traveling) - can an “unfriendly” 70’ mast get get around Hatteras/Lookout on the ICW? I’ve not done the Ditch and can’t recall...

Regards,
As stated above I am not sure on a 70ft mast.. but I am sure the Gemini with its 45ft odd air draught should have no problems.
I believe 65ft is the fixed bridge maximum and even then some playing with the tides can be needed
Take a look on Active Captain, thats alledged to be a good source of info.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 14-02-2019, 04:30   #39

Here is a well written article on dealing with Cape Hatteras:

http://wavetrain.net/techniques-a-ta...sit-strategies
Old 14-02-2019, 05:08   #40

Quote:
Not sure of the inlets in that area trying to get around Hatteras with a 70' mast, but most of NC ICW is a no go as well.

Link to North Carolina ICW Bridges:

https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/aicw-nc.php

Link to Florida ICW Bridges:

https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/aicw-fl.php
I shouldn't have interrupted the thread. I'm aware of the 64' heights going down; I just couldn't recall whether or not taller masts could get around those 2 specific points. Having been forced to heave to off Hatteras once, I'm cautious about it, and just wanted those details.

Sorry to have taken everybody astray. I'll wait till I have charts unless you (boatman61) know offhand and want to pm me! :-)

Thanks,
Old 14-02-2019, 05:49   #41

Quote:
I shouldn't have interrupted the thread.
Can't speak for the OP, but he did ask about transiting that area.

Personally, I think you did him, and anyone else searching for any boat, mono or cat, a favor. I think many people, when looking at boats, forget the fact that they will be limited by mast height if they go over 64' tall.

If they want to utilize the AICW or GICW, they need a boat with an air draft of less than 65'

Many boats on my want list have been crossed off by that simple fact alone.
Old 14-02-2019, 06:04   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I shouldn't have interrupted the thread. I'm aware of the 64' heights going down; I just couldn't recall whether or not taller masts could get around those 2 specific points. Having been forced to heave to off Hatteras once, I'm cautious about it, and just wanted those details.

Sorry to have taken everybody astray. I'll wait till I have charts unless you (boatman61) know offhand and want to pm me! :-)

Thanks,
Hi Lee.. the best way for you to go behind Hatteras is in at Oregon Inlet and through the Pamlico Sound then back out at Ocracoke.. trouble is I cannot find the height of the old bridge there.. the new one is twenty foot higher so in future should be no problem.. but who knows how long you will need to wait
Ahah.. the new one is alledgedly 90.5 air draught so the old one is 70ft one assumes.. but I would if you, check that with the local CG as they have a big base there.

Old 14-02-2019, 06:26   #43

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

Regards,

No you can’t. There are a number of fixed 65’ bridges without enough tidal help along the way.
Old 14-02-2019, 06:32   #44

Quote:
Can't speak for the OP, but he did ask about transiting that area.

Personally, I think you did him, and anyone else searching for any boat, mono or cat, a favor. I think many people, when looking at boats, forget the fact that they will be limited by mast height if they go over 64' tall.

If they want to utilize the AICW or GICW, they need a boat with an air draft of less than 65'

Many boats on my want list have been crossed off by that simple fact alone.

It *definitely* has been a factor on our search as well.
Old 14-02-2019, 10:58   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
No you can’t. There are a number of fixed 65’ bridges without enough tidal help along the way.
With Oregon-Ocracoke theres only the bridge at Oregon Inlet to deal with.. and he may just scrape under..
But should definitely confirm the clearance first coz it can be an awkward entry if the winds wrong.