Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2010, 20:17   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
If your not getting a smoking hot deal right now, don't buy.

As far as buying in the Med vs Carib, the prices are a lot less in Carib. Probably 30%. The only issue is time to get the boat back to OZ if that is your plan. I would personally want to go via Panama and French Poly vs around Somalia. As a matter of fact, I'd probably prefer that route even if I bought the boat in the Med.

I don't know if there are a lot of "traps" but research is fun so keep it up. I spent 10 years browsing and 2 years searching to end up buying within two hours of actually stepping on my boat, so be prepared.

I'll be in SXM quite often so if you find something there, let me know. I can also recommend a broker. Good luck.
Old 30-05-2010, 01:39   #17

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
If your not getting a smoking hot deal right now, don't buy.

As far as buying in the Med vs Carib, the prices are a lot less in Carib. Probably 30%. The only issue is time to get the boat back to OZ if that is your plan. I would personally want to go via Panama and French Poly vs around Somalia. As a matter of fact, I'd probably prefer that route even if I bought the boat in the Med.

I don't know if there are a lot of "traps" but research is fun so keep it up. I spent 10 years browsing and 2 years searching to end up buying within two hours of actually stepping on my boat, so be prepared.

I'll be in SXM quite often so if you find something there, let me know. I can also recommend a broker. Good luck.
No I'm not in the market until the end of the year, why wait do you think the market will soften further?

Sorry where is SXM?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 04:11   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
... where is SXM?
"SXM" refers to Princess Juliana International Airport, on St. Maarten / St. Martin

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 07:21   #19
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I don't know if the market will soften further but more boats will become available at the correct price. There are a few CF members who have bought recently who got great deals in St. Maarten.

Sorry for the SXM shortcut. I've been communicating with a lot of people via e-mail that are on the island and its commonly used.
Old 30-05-2010, 15:53   #20

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
OK thanks, soldboat is a great reference for what boats are realy selling for. Its quite amazing how many boats are listed for way above what anyone is paying. Are these boats genuinely on the market or is just for tax or spouse apeasment purposes?

Any advise on stratagies for making sensible offers on these boats would be appreciated or should I just wait untill reality sets in and they drop their prices.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote