Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 09:53   #796

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: GUNBOAT Dismasting

Its a inshore coastal toy , no offshore expectations this time....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 21:39   #797

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Kowloon Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 22:03   #798

Boat: In Between Boats

Sort of shocked as I got caught out in some unforecasted weather of this type in my Catalina 36 MKII heading to the Keys. Reefed the sails and Had to hand drive it as the waves were too steep for the autopilot to intelligently drive.

Size of the waves, especially looking into the trough made me pucker but Never even remotely felt unsafe but tired from driving. I feel the roller-furling main is stronger than a standard main and also allows me to never leave the cockpit. it was an important safety feature that is mandatory - for me.

Pretty cool to think my little production boat is more solid than a Gunboat!!!
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:36   #799

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
That's what racing boats have and it can take a full circumnavigation at speed without going away. Some French brands use partial vinyl wrap designs and there is at least an Italian company (probably more in other countries) that does that as an option regarding painting boats.
Im not so concerned with it coming off but more so with how it handles regular useage on average boats such as how does it handle rubbing against fenders, you cant always tie your boat off so it doesn't rub on the fenders and is it repairable, occasionally everyone bumps the dock. I have been considering using vinyl wrap in lieu of paint on one of my current boats.

Steve
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 19:45   #800
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears as though the lower diamond wire on the mast is connected to the very aft portion of the mast section,...in this photo at least?
https://www.facebook.com/gunboatcata...type=3&theater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gunboat rigging.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	98754  
Old 11-03-2015, 19:52   #801
Marine Service Provider

Rig Tunning

I was looking at this Gunboats rigging with its single spreader, diamond wire arrangement and thinking of how we use to tune up smaller cats with similar rigs. We would run those diamond wires pretty loose in order to get the proper mast bend we wanted to shape the mainsail.

Now if the vessel in question was being run like that, and with the very large unsupported length of mast with the single spreader arrangement, and with a third reef in the mainsail likely putting the headboard of that mainsail below the spreaders,.....imagine the load that might have been suddenly put on that mast with the big windshift/gust that might have backwinded that mainsail momentarily....ouch
Old 11-03-2015, 21:47   #802

Re: Rig Tunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
I was looking at this Gunboats rigging with its single spreader, diamond wire arrangement and thinking of how we use to tune up smaller cats with similar rigs. We would run those diamond wires pretty loose in order to get the proper mast bend we wanted to shape the mainsail.

Now if the vessel in question was being run like that, and with the very large unsupported length of mast with the single spreader arrangement, and with a third reef in the mainsail likely putting the headboard of that mainsail below the spreaders,.....imagine the load that might have been suddenly put on that mast with the big windshift/gust that might have backwinded that mainsail momentarily....ouch
Very good analysis Brian.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:44   #803

Quote:

To get mast bend you TIGHTEN the diamond stays. Running them lose would leave a very straight mast. Not so good for keeping it in column.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 13:03   #804

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
I get what you're saying but the spreaders look to be to be around 40% of mast height unless the lens is throwing me off. Would the headboard be that low? Actually it would be lower than that.
Old 12-03-2015, 13:22   #805

I won't be surprised to see lower stays appearing on future (and current) GB 55s though.

BTW this was raised about 50 pages back....
Old 12-03-2015, 14:24   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
To get mast bend you TIGHTEN the diamond stays. Running them lose would leave a very straight mast. Not so good for keeping it in column.
Brian was refering to loose diamonds on OTB cats, and was correct. The Hobie 18 for instance at one stage was sailed with very loose diamonds , so that a combination of sheet tension and rotation could vary the mast bend and hence sail shape as conditions changed.

I doubt the very heavy GB could get away with this option without the mast gyrating like a pole dancer in any sort of seaway.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:34   #807
Marine Service Provider

Rig Tunning

I actually learned this trick from sailmaker and Olympic silver medalist (Tornado cats), Randy Smyth. BTW great guy !
Randy Smyth Biography

You utilized the combination of the aft rake in the spreaders along with loose diamonds to get a really nicely shaped bend in the over-rotated mast to flatten the mainsail shape.
Old 13-03-2015, 10:30   #808

So after all this time that has passed after the Gun Boat disaster what have we learned?

Was it caused by;

1. Reckless decision to tempt nature in going out with a serious storm approaching?

2. Overall boat design failure?

3. Rigging failure?

What is the group wisdom of what caused the unsinkable boat to fail so badly?
Old 13-03-2015, 13:33   #809

The boat or rig haven't been recovered, so all we know is that people continue to speculate.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:57   #810

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The boat or rig haven't been recovered, so all we know is that people continue to speculate.
Very strange that as you say we know nothing since a number of witnesses on board. I know vetted reports have been given on another forum site. Don't you think it's strange that you are non the wiser following his disclosures. What about independent witnesses that were on board and not previously on the payroll of the boat builder. Where are the investigative reports by the sailing magazines? Where is the USCG detailed report and copies of interviews of the rescued?

This was not a boat that disappeared with all hands on deck lost. Very strange that you and so many no nothing.

But we have learned some things from the Skipper emails. So I will ask again what have we learned and what do we know from the minimum disclosure (IMHO) to date?

Tags
crew, dismasting, mast, rescue