Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 07:30   #841

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: GUNBOAT Dismasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
On a rotating rig of that height, I would call that just about normal,...maybe just a little loose. But rotating rigs need slack at their mast attachment point to facilitate mast rotation without excessive 'binding'.

Did you also notice the slack leeward shroud on 'Tiger Lily" (another Gunboat model) at about minute 2:22
I assume you are talking about Min 2.20 on the movie? Yes the shrouds move a lot but the situation is different: Tiger Lilly is passing a big wave and the mast is pumping. On the Gunboat 55 (1.35) the boat is sailing on almost flat water, with little waves.

That raises another question since we can see Tribe, just at the beginning of the movie, sailing with big waves and with nowhere the slack on the shrouds that Tiger Lily or the Gunboat 55 show on the movie. So, do they use substantially different tuning on Gunboat rigs? and if so that seems odd to me since the rigs are very similar.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:57   #842

Boat: Seaward 22

Visited NC boatyard Friday and saw this unfinished Gunboat with a hard bulkhead along the back of cockpit area. Some owner wised up and knows something.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0171.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	100242
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 19:42   #843

Boat: St. Francis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisElectric View Post
Visited NC boatyard Friday and saw this unfinished Gunboat with a hard bulkhead along the back of cockpit area. Some owner wised up and knows something.
Attachment 100242
Nice update.

I visited the yard and walked through a few 55s last year, when the GB 55 was near the top of my list for a "circumnavigating couple cat." If a hard enclosure was an option, with the saloon being more of a "living room" than a working cockpit meant to take on water and be hosed out, I think I could've gotten the wife onboard with the purchase.

It seems to be a perfect racing boat, and it felt like it could've been made into a fine cruiser (for a weight-conscious couple), but it just wasn't enough of a live-aboard for us to go with. Maybe future iterations will find the right balance for those who want what we were after.
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:37   #844
pbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisElectric View Post
Attachment 100242
That's a 60 which comes that way
pbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 07:15   #845
Eternal Member

Interesting update on RAINMAKER, according to the chatter over on Sailing Anarchy...

She was spotted a few weeks ago by a merchant vessel, no position given... This is confirmed by Mr Clean from SA. Photos were taken, and according to one who claims to have seen them, the coachroof/greenhouse/salon/whatever you want to call it was gone...

Then, just the other day, another poster claims to have heard from someone in the insurance business that she has actually been towed into port by a fishing trawler, which for whatever reason declined a claim of salvage... No location was given, nor is there any independent confirmation of this account, at least that I'm aware of...

It's surprising that if she was towed into a harbor along the Mid-Atlantic or NE coast, the word hasn't gotten out beyond some marine insurance industry 'insider', or that some pics haven't surfaced... so, I'll take that last one with a grain of salt for the time being... That possibility would seem a bit more likely had she been brought back into someplace in Nova Scotia, or Newfoundland, perhaps...

Nevertheless, interesting, to say the least... :-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 07:49   #846

Thanks Jon. Very interesting update.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 09:03   #847

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Have you got a link? It's not in the "prayer" thread.
Old 16-04-2015, 09:48   #848
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Have you got a link? It's not in the "prayer" thread.
Sorry, it's on this page of the "Rainmaker Dismasted" thread, scroll down to #1931 for the first mention that she was sighted...

RAINMAKER DISMASTED OFF HATTERAS IN GALE - Page 20 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 19:45   #849

Just wondering about the S-AIS system onboard. I did a search to see if it was discussed but didn't find any post on it. So wouldn't the S-AIS have been able to locate vessel?
Old 23-04-2015, 20:17   #850

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

It appears that she was taking on water which would have killed the electrics. So no AIS.
Old 23-04-2015, 20:38   #851

The mast was cut away too and that's where the antenna was. Plus I don't know whether or not the GB had the S-AIS system aboard. Also when the window broke open and let the sea enter, that could have destroyed the electronics. Once those systems went out, so went any control they had with the vessel, I imagine
Old 29-04-2015, 15:17   #852

Fair to say it did better than this:

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 16:01   #853

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Fair to say it did better than this:

Did you hear the last sentence? "Get a hammer"
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 03:39   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
It is understood that the Phoebe was a 66 foot Gunboat. But a Gunboat nonetheless. One catastrophic Gunboat dismantling is an accident. Two Gunboat dismastings is a trend. And given the percentages against how many Gunboats are out there if it were a car it would be being recalled.
Phaedo is set up as a race boat and sailed as a race boat. I've seen chevy's crash at Daytona and Drag strips. Should we then question all chevy's in all conditions?

Rain Maker was in extraordinary circumstances. I've seen Jeep's roll and break in Moab. Should we then question all Jeeps in all conditions?

well thats my 2 cents
Dr Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:02   #855

Boat: Comet 41s

They have improved a lot: now they can capsize without breaking the mast, at least sometimes

https://vimeo.com/125378004
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, dismasting, mast, rescue