Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 16:17   #16

Re: Has any one sailed or seen a cat with two roller furlings

My boat, CNO is also set up to take a hitch hiker rig - google "My little piece of peace" and the link should take you to my build thread on boatdesign.net around 40 ft x 21.5 ft and Australian registered vessel. She is set up with twin kubota saildrives (nanni) and cruises at about 7knots doing 2500rpm achieving 2 miles per litre of fuel. Another 40K will set up a 12m mast and 2 x 40plus square meter FLAT CUT lightweight genoa that should be taken down before wind over deck exceeds 20knots - she has surfed waves nicely at 19 knots heading over the wide bay bar and on the outside leg to South Percy Island fleeing a storm warning in Moreton Bay (ALL UNDER POWER). with no dramas just confident course maintained under autopilot. For sale as is for Au$350,000 at Cairns
masalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 20:53   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW,

A couple of years ago we sailed "in company" with John on XIT. At the beginning we didn't know who or what it was... odd looking craft. We would set o ut a bit earlier than XIT in our 46 ft mono, and mid morning John would blow by us doing 12-15 kts to our 10-11 (this on a broad reach in ~25 true). Truth is, it pissed me off! But it kept happening and I got used to it. Then one day the wx changed and the course was to windward in 8-10 true... and we blasted (maybe cruised is a better word) by them.

Later we anchored nearby and went over to have a chat and a look around. Interesting chap and an interesting boat. Very stark inside, little built in furniture, no headroom anywhere near the "edges" of the interior, not my cup of tea at all... but bloody fast off the wind and very easy to sail.

Different strokes... and ya gotta admire his ability to think (and act) outside the box.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-02-2013, 21:17   #18

Boat: Cal 2-27

This one has em ask beat
http://www.marinscope.com/ross_valle...44c2d60a8.html
Old 13-02-2013, 00:19   #19

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalai View Post
My boat, CNO is also set up to take a hitch hiker rig - google "My little piece of peace" and the link should take you to my build thread on boatdesign.net around 40 ft x 21.5 ft and Australian registered vessel. She is set up with twin kubota saildrives (nanni) and cruises at about 7knots doing 2500rpm achieving 2 miles per litre of fuel. Another 40K will set up a 12m mast and 2 x 40plus square meter FLAT CUT lightweight genoa that should be taken down before wind over deck exceeds 20knots - she has surfed waves nicely at 19 knots heading over the wide bay bar and on the outside leg to South Percy Island fleeing a storm warning in Moreton Bay (ALL UNDER POWER). with no dramas just confident course maintained under autopilot. For sale as is for Au$350,000 at Cairns
Well this is an old thread, yes I have seen Johns XIT at the time I was look to buy a cat like it, dont remember the detail now.

masalai I was linked to your build thread it was a different one then I lost it, it was a fantastic blog lots of photos and you detailed it well. I now have 190 pages to skim over but there ant meany photo like your blog site. Glad to see you finished and if you sell will you buy more gold

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 01:02   #20

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Here is a link to a cat with an A frame rig with similar sail setup.

Lot of info on the site.

DAMSL — Catbird Suite
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 01:48   #21

Hi sctpc,
I think this forum wanted me back here? as the PM you sent to me arrived yesterday, TALK ABOUT SNAILMAIL... Much of the latter stages of my build were at my old site Boats-n-stuff.com.au - The server was in Dallas, Texas. - - and thanks go to the interest of many workers in Google who monitored that site, - I retained my high rating and identification. Before I went on my first cruise to South Percy Island, I ended up closing the site as I could not find anyone to moderate the site. so I closed it and lost many images relating to that build phase.

A friend, who I figured would crew with me for a jaunt to PNG's Milne Bay, is now blind and expected to die of cancer soon... He still wants to go, and retains a very positive outlook and super strong determination, so he may yet beat the "pimples" and recover his sight... He has outlived the best prognosis and is of the view that every additional day is a bonus...

In the meantime, I am doing what I can to help around his lady Pam's lifestyle 14.5 acre farm-let surrounded by tropical rainforest near Kuranda. (it is now for sale - offers around Au$450K - not listed but word of mouth for the present).

I am also preparing to continue on to PNG - hoping to sell the boat which is set up to cruise those waters but crossing the 480 Nautical Miles from Cairns to Samarai is not a passage I will take solo, - - and severe concerns as to safety, as the path is in a busy seaway, and a little glass boat at 7 knots does not stand up well against a 20 knot foreign cargo vessel plying these waters. The weather in the N Coral Sea can change mood almost instantly, so caution prevails.

I have planned the trip for 'CNO' and the "nasty part" would be 3days-&-8hours... If I had my 'druthers', I would prefer to sell 'CNO', (Au$350K region offers?), now and fly via Port Moresby to Alotau and from there buy a 26ft banana boat with 40hp outboard... Anyway that is the present plan... - - - full of "iffs and buts" the direction is fairly consistent...

There are communities that I hope to involve in generating some infrastructure improvements whilst encouraging and helping to improve food security (bloody bureaucratic buzz words) through farming practices and product processing for quality and niche markets.
masalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 10:27   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I've actually sailed on "Wired" (AFAIK it's now called "Zenataos"). It had roller furling headsails on each hull, and a hanked on blade jib in the middle, as well as a fully battened main.

The setup seemed to work pretty well, going hard to windward you would furl the windward headsail, and use the leeward one and the blade, and if it was blowing a bit harder furl the leeward. The boat pointed amazingly high.

The whole boat was pretty unusual, with the mast supported by a spider-like structure of alloy beams above the deck, and a series of cables below. The hulls were "hinged" to the bridgedeck, allowing some flex, which was controlled by heavy SS cables. (Hence the original name "Wired")
Is that 'Wired' in the photos of posting #9 ? (looks similar rigging as you are describing)

Or do you know where I can find a photo of her??