Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:10   #1

Hauling a Cat

We have a Fisher Cat 32 we will be hauling out for the first time. Any tips? Is it ok to haul out with beams on the bridge or must it go on the hulls? Thanks
Gwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:30   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Hauling a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwilks View Post
We have a Fisher Cat 32 we will be hauling out for the first time. Any tips? Is it ok to haul out with beams on the bridge or must it go on the hulls? Thanks

Do you mean Catfisher 32?

I can't see a manual, but you will probably use a travel lift and set it on the keels, with stands under the ends of each hull.

Old Today, 13:36   #3

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Gday Gwilks

I don't know the Catfisher 32 too well but they are a solid cat. For all the cats I know of and have seen launched and slipped, all of them can be slipped under the armpits or the hulls. In fact it is usually better to go under the armpits.

If you are worried about the boat not being able to handle the strain then don't. If a cat can't take the load of the hulls being suspended then you don't want to go sailing on that cat. Just make sure that the bridgedeck is flat, that you can locate your main strength bulkheads and that the trailer rests gently on the bridgedeck at these points.

Try not to rest the boat's weight on protrusions or lightweight fairings on the bridegdeck. For example some Schionnings use bridgedeck stiffeneres made from PVC pipe covered in glass. Don't let the slipway put the weight on structures like these. You want the weight to be fed from the floor of the bridgedeck and then into a bulkhead.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:53   #4

cheers, Phil, thanks much. It's built for the NOrth Atlantic so I figured it had to be pretty tough. The boat hauler guy has never hauled on before so I'm getting as much info as possible. thanks again
Old Today, 13:54   #5

thanks. I'm trying to avoid the travel lift/cutting costs

« Catana 431 Cracks | - »