Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2009, 09:01   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I checked out Pleasure Cove. It IS full of big Cats! Unfortunately, its 42 minutes away from me and Herrington is 15 minutes, and I need to haul my mast next year to pull N2k to the masthead. But I'm now looking at real estate in Pasadena!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 09:14   #17

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
The Chesapeake is a big place - does one part matter more than another (e.g., air connections)? Depending on how long you want to haul out, Virginia might have its complications with property taxes due if the boat becomes a "Virginia boat". Not that MD is much better - stay in the water (on a mooring, for example) more than 90 days and you're liable for a use fee sticker, which will set you back 5% of the assessed value. Being on the hard will probably avoid that but land storage can be spendy, too. Since you're going to sell the boat, I'd work with the (potential) broker on these details before you arrive.

Naturally, the boating hotspots (Annapolis, for example) will probably get you more traffic for selling the boat, but you'll pay a premium for being there and Anne Arundel county takes its cut, too. Hauling in, for example, Deale or Galesville (western shore) or Rock Hall or Kent Narrows (eastern shore) isn't too far from "civilization" but not where there's tons of buyer traffic. Ya pays your money, ya takes your choice...
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 11:40   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Brokers are lazy, and most of them are where the buyers go to see the most boats. They are less likely to spend an hour and a half hauling a potential customer some place out of the way. Stay close to Annapolis.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 15:07   #19

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Er, some brokers are lazy. During our hunt for "the next boat", the folks at Clipper Bay in Tracey's Landing (Herrington Harbor area) literally went up and down the western shore with us.

Agreed that being close to Annapolis improves exposure in the sense there's more traffic (and tire kickers). However there's also more competition (heading to see boat "A" "the admiral" says, "oh, let's look at this boat instead!"). And being in or near Annapolis does have a tangible cost. The trick is to come up with a good balance. If it were easy, more folks would be doing it.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 07:53   #20

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
I talked to the ShipWright Marina the other day, their located across from Harrington Harbor North, They have had a number of calls for Cats and are thinking about retrofitting a dock for Cats exclusivly. 23' in a 23' slip don't get it.

Steve
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:51   #21

Boat: Pacific Mariner 65
Georgetown Yacht Basin in MD (www.gybinc.com/ ) can haul and store your boat. We had our 51' catamaran on the hard there for five months over the summer of 2006. Zahniser's at Solomon Island, MD just informed us that they don't have storage space over the summer for a catamaran.
rockerdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 14:13   #22

Boat: Shannon 37 cutter
St Mary's River Yachting Center (www.stmyc.com) (used to be Dennis Pt Marina) about 12 miles up the Potomac should be able to handle yoru boat, several cats there now and friend has had his Dolphin 46 out there (granted, there was about 1/2" space left over when he was in the slings!). Would guess cheaper than Solomons or Annapolis, but also a tad further from the market.....
Old 02-02-2009, 17:54   #23

Boat: Columbia 41
I am in Buzzard Point Marina in Washington, DC. There is a double wide slip available next to me. The manager is Eddy Cohen. He doesn't bother you if you need to work on your boat. There is no marine railway or travel lift there.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 19:02   #24

Boat: Manta 40
We had a great haulout at Severn River Marina in Hayes, VA (south Chesapeake). They have haulout and storage facilities for up to 23' beam. Very friendly folks. They are primarily a do-it-yourself yard, but they can do what you need done if you're not a do-it-yourself type. It's about a 30 minute drive to Norfolk.
ksalt is offline   Reply With Quote