Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2007, 19:13   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Kevin --

I have cruised in both an L380 and a Manta 42 for more than a week, each. So, while not living aboard, I certainly got to know each of the boats, intimately.

As the others have already pointed, everything is a compromise: The higher cabin and hulls bring increased windage. The L380 has fatter hulls and sails slower, doesn't point as well as the Manta. The Manta's head room is less (but not by a lot) and has less "square footage", but seems to be laid out better in several respects. Plus, having poked around in just about every square inch of both boats -- the Manta is definitely built much better, from the keels up to the tricolor, in every respect. (That darn bimini on the Lagoon gave me several bruises, as well as my 6'5" friend. It's a killer on the noggin.)

The St. Francis 44's are very nice boats in many respects, and will outsail the others, but headroom is not one of their assets. In the Mk II's, you'd be "OK" in most parts of the salon, but would be watching your head over the nav table. In the hulls, you would be bending over more and more as you work your way aft (the aft cabins have a 5'11" clearance).

The Fountaine-Pajot line has generally had excellent headroom and they are one of the few that actually post that data on their website. (Wish more did!) You would likely also be OK in most Catanas and Privileges.

The Voyage 440 does have excellent headroom and is a very spacious boat, but it gets that with low bridgedeck clearance.

The Maine Cat is a very sweet boat -- but they are "different" -- if those differences match well for you, then you'd have a great time, and be comfortable, too.

Good luck!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 21:33   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Kevin, if you do find a boat with the head clearance that you desire make sure you also check the bride deck clearance above the water. This may be the undesirable compromise made in order to give you more headroom.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 22:14   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Fountaine Pajot
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 11:12   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Have you made the list yet?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 11:33   #20

Boat: Maine Cat 30 - Jasmine
You must mean a list of boats with adequate headroom? Well, I have only verified 3, 2 of which are in a size range where I am no longer looking (see Maine Cat 30 thread):

Lagoon 38
Admiral 40
Maine Cat 41

The admiral goes off the list for other reasons. The Maine Cat 41 would be my choice if I could afford it, SO FAR.

Many folks offered other suggestions in this thread, and I have not had a chance to look at those boats. The Mahe 36 may or may not have enough headroom, depending on who you talk to. Ditto the Orana 44. I have not had a chance to look at the Voyage 440 and Wildcat 35 boats suggested.

Since starting that thread, I refocused my attentions on smaller cruising cats, and came fairly quickly to the Maine Cat 30, because I like the open bridge deck. This boat has 6' 4" at the helm, 6' 2" at the end of the bridge deck, and 6' 3" in the hulls. The newer MC 30s can be modified for small money to make the headroom that the helm and edge of the bridge deck rise to 6' 7" and 6' 5" by changing the poles that hold up the hard bimini and sewing additions on to the bottom of the enclosure. I may do this if I get this boat, or I may find the headroom adequate since I plan to install a helm seat and be seated most of time. So if you are interested in a 30' boat, that is the one I am pursuing right now. Everything I can read and everything that I have learned from talking to folks is positive about this boat. But I have not been able to find one to charter or otherwise sail on yet, so I'll let you know (in the other thread).

I too will be at the Miami boat show, although I may have made a boat decision by then. I am going anyway as I have never seen this show, and I am meeting friends there, so perhaps we will meet there...

Kevin
kevinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 13:12   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It seems there is a minimum length at which you should not go under because the boom has to be placed so high above the water with respect to length that the rig starts to look like an afterthought in order to give you adequate head clearance. That length seems to be around 40 feet, give or take a couple feet depending on other factors.

That sail area right down near the water is very valuable with respect to speed because it does not increase the heeling moment like sail area far up the mast does.

Your situation reminds me of a scientist I work with who stands at 6' 3" who used to be in the Navy on submarines. He was called the "Stork" because his head was always bent over to avoid banging it on things hanging off the overhead.
Old 28-10-2007, 13:12   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmac View Post

Lagoon 38
Admiral 40
Maine Cat 41

Kevin
Thanks,

I seem to have the inability to afford a 38-41ft boat too.
I have looked at the Maine Cat site a few times. I am just not sure I want an open cockpit as opposed to a salon.

I have been on a Gemini 105Mc though. A little cramped and all.

I think I won't have the money for what I want.

Story of my life.
Old 28-10-2007, 13:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It seems there is a minimum length at which you should not go under because the boom has to be placed so high above the water with respect to length that the rig starts to look like an afterthought in order to give you adequate head clearance. That length seems to be around 40 feet, give or take a couple feet depending on other factors.

That sail area right down near the water is very valuable with respect to speed because it does not increase the heeling moment like sail area far above the water does.
The problem with Kevin and myself is that we are tall.
It is a real handicap. Not believed by most, but true. Try it. You won't like it. No matter what, we must be able to stand in most places on the boat and sleep on the boat.
Otherwise "boating" would not be a consideration.

Speaking for myself of course.
Old 28-10-2007, 13:28   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Thanks,

I seem to have the inability to afford a 38-41ft boat too.
I have looked at the Maine Cat site a few times. I am just not sure I want an open cockpit as opposed to a salon.

I have been on a Gemini 105Mc though. A little cramped and all.

I think I won't have the money for what I want.

Story of my life.
There are still plenty of monohulls in that price range that provide plenty of overhead clearance and adequate berthing accommodations. All is not lost!
Old 28-10-2007, 13:36   #25

Boat: Maine Cat 30 - Jasmine
When I buy the boat we will live on, it will likely be at least 40'. If I am going to live on it, I am going to be able to stand up.

But this process of learning has led me to realize that I actually don't want to live on the boat for the next five year or so, just sail it evenings, weekends, and on vacations. So I can relax the headroom requirement some. (Speaking for me and not anyone else.) My current boat I cannot stand up below decks. When I sail it, I sit in the cockpit (it is a Catalina 250WK with a tiller), I don't stand up. And it works fine for evenings, weekends, and vacations, but I want more space, I want a more capable boat for coastal cruising, and I have really become impressed with the advantages of multihulls.

I *love* visibility. Visibilty and headroom were the two things that knocked me out about the Lagoon 380 S2 I saw this summer. The Maine Cat 30 looks like it will give me the visibility and openness that I like. I would have seated headroom at a helmsmens chair, and I might be able to stand up at the help, although my head would brush the bimini. In the hulls, I would only have to incline my head enough to deal with being 1" shy on headroom. It sounds like a possibly acceptable compromise for me, but like I say, wait until I get to sail one, it is all theory right now.

The berths are 6' 8" long, that's a good thing.

The designer of the boat is 6' 2" tall, that gives me hope too...

Kevin
kevinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 13:55   #26

Quote:
There are still plenty of monohulls in that price range!
Blech!!!!!!
Old 28-10-2007, 13:58   #27

Kevin,
I am sold on the advantages of a cat.
I am in a very similar situation but do not think I can buy one now and sell later to "move up". More limited I guess.
I want to do the Miami show if I can find a cheap place to stay.
Sailors are cheap aren't they.
Old 28-10-2007, 14:11   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Blech!!!!!!
LOL...I hear ya. I feel the same. Adding weight to a boat to keep it upright seems counterproductive.

I feel for ya. On land being tall has its distinct advantages. But us shorter people (5' 10" here) have the distinct advantage at sea. I'm sure you will eventually find something that will work for ya.
Old 28-10-2007, 15:34   #29

Quote:

I feel for ya. On land being tall has its distinct advantages.
Yea, like trying to find a car to fit in.

I built my own bed 25+ years ago and since then two more for the boys.

Everything costs more.

I can be found in a crowd more easily though.
Old 30-10-2007, 13:37   #30

Quote:
Yea, like trying to find a car to fit in.

I built my own bed 25+ years ago and since then two more for the boys.

Everything costs more.

I can be found in a crowd more easily though.
At 6 foot 4?

I'm 2 metres even (6 foot 8) and I fit in a normal queen size bed fine - they are 2.1 metres long. I fit most cars OK. Boats are another story though, but there is a solution - build your own! I have raised the sheerline to increase headroom throughout, and increased the beam so the cross berths could be longer without intruding into the hulls too much.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...00&userid=3477
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headroom