Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2012, 16:37   #16

Re: Headroom in Cats 38-44ft

Mark
I'm not concerned about ducking through bulkheads, that's fine. But I want to have some clearance at the galley, heads, in cabins and in saloon (other than sitting areas).

The newer models (or updates of old models) generally seem to have this sorted, but are out of my price range. Even the 36ft Mahe - the Evolution model - has it fixed now. So I'm looking for, preferably, production cats than cottoned-on to this issue a few years ago.

There have been some conflicting responses - no doubt due to one of the locations noted above being ignored. And not everyone has provided numbers, but below is a list of possibilities based on research to date.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 20:11   #17

Boat: Privilege 37

I have a privilege 37. I am 6' 3". In the salon there is about 6' 6" of head room in the areas that you'd walk. The galley is down. It has 8' feet or so. Same on the starboard side. The port head has about 6' 3" head room. I can touch my head to the top. Not so much of a problem unders the hatch, that gives me another 4 inches or so. The shower on that side is I'd guess less than 6'. I can't stand comfortably in it. The aft cabins are about the same height as the salon. Maybe an inch shorter.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 20:29   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

OK. I was confused on the related bit about a friend bumping his head once in a while walking through the hulls and thought it was because of the doorway cutouts.

Manta 40 - 6'2" in bridgedeck saloon, 6'4" in hulls. Galley is up, so 6'2" there.

Manta 42 (after 2004 or so) - 6'4" in both saloon and hulls. Galley up - 6'4".

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 22:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
OK. I was confused on the related bit about a friend bumping his head once in a while walking through the hulls and thought it was because of the doorway cutouts.

Manta 40 - 6'2" in bridgedeck saloon, 6'4" in hulls. Galley is up, so 6'2" there.

Manta 42 (after 2004 or so) - 6'4" in both saloon and hulls. Galley up - 6'4".

Mark
MARK
I found one comment that on the Manta 42 that the stairway down into the hulls was less than that. Apparently you can't readily walk down, instead you do a 180 turn and back down. Same orientation as walking up. Not a show-stopper, but a bit inconvenient.
Old 22-01-2012, 22:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
I have a privilege 37. I am 6' 3". In the salon there is about 6' 6" of head room in the areas that you'd walk. The galley is down. It has 8' feet or so. Same on the starboard side. The port head has about 6' 3" head room. I can touch my head to the top. Not so much of a problem unders the hatch, that gives me another 4 inches or so. The shower on that side is I'd guess less than 6'. I can't stand comfortably in it. The aft cabins are about the same height as the salon. Maybe an inch shorter.
Thanks, that's pretty good for that length boat. By implication the starboard shower height is OK?
Old 25-01-2012, 19:04   #21

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog

At 6'5" I have to duck in most all cats and monohulls. My present ship has 6'3" headroom
Old 25-01-2012, 19:36   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
MARK
I found one comment that on the Manta 42 that the stairway down into the hulls was less than that. Apparently you can't readily walk down, instead you do a 180 turn and back down. Same orientation as walking up. Not a show-stopper, but a bit inconvenient.
This isn't true on the 40 and earlier model 42, although it will eventually be true for someone tall enough (~6'3" or so). On the later model 42, I have noticed that they changed something that brings the cabin top closer to your head as you walk down them. I think they widened the steps so that you have to walk outboard a bit more before taking the next step down. I am 5'11" and still walk down them normally, but am closer to the cabin top than on my boat and earlier 42's.

You will find this problem on a majority of cats in the size range you asked about. The bigger and fatter they are, the less problem you will have.

Keep in mind we are talking about 3 steps - not staircases. If you are that tall, you will have problems with berth lengths also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, headroom