Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2010, 10:43   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Headroom - We Are Tall . . .

Greetings (my first post):

Both my girlfriend and I are tall... she 6', me 6'5. So headroom really is an issue.

We are looking at buying a potentially bluewater capable (no Geminis obviously) cat, but it needs to have reasonable headroom for us.

Most ads in Yachtworld.com do not mention the headroom that the cats for sale there have, and I have tried a number (not all) manufacturers websites to see if that spec is available, and usually it is not.

Can any one direct me to either:
  1. a source that we can use to determine headroom
  2. or suggestions of cats that may be suitable

I hope to stay under $200K, and preferably well under, as I would expect to be spending a good dollar for refurbishing.

Thanks for any guidance.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 10:56   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
My Prout 31, and many larger ones, have 6ft in the hulls, and 5ft ish in the centre nacelle.
It's enough as standing inside is not the usual though at 6ft 3 I find cooking hard on the neck/back. The saloon seating has adequate headroom though sloping seats and foot rests would improve comfort. The boom over the cockpit is above 6ft 6in so is safe.
In your price range comes the legendary SnowGoose, 37ft of ancient mariner from the early sixties and with a sound record for cruiser with good passage making and windward performance. Clean lines above and below the waterline seem to have been forgotten by later builds though some new boats are better, the price tends to be steeper too.
Old 13-07-2010, 11:02   #3

Boat: L42
I am also 6'5" and its going to be very tough in your price range. Where do you intend to sail? weekend or cruising? bluewater or coastal?

Probably your best bet is a used Lagoon 380. They typically have about 6'7" throughout or more, including a walk in shower. Many can be had for under $200 but expect it to be very used, probably ex-charter. If you can stretch to around $220 or so you can probably find an owners version in better condition.

I understand your problem. Good Luck!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 19:08   #4

Boat: FP Bahia 46
I had the same problem when looking for my boat. 6'3". I started looking at 39'. ended up with a FP Bahia 46. I can stand just about everywhere. They seem to be in the mid 200's and up for an older model. Mine is a 99. Venezia 42 might also be an option. A little ducking over the galley, but you will have your GF there anyway. I haven't seen a price for them lately, but I imagine they will be a little cheaper. Good luck!
Old 14-07-2010, 05:31   #5

Boat: searching
can't stand it

I'm 6ft and cannot stand at the galley on the FP Venezia.
Old 14-07-2010, 17:25   #6

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Somehow the FP Mahe 36 has like 6'8" headroom in most places.
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 09:02   #7

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking
Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I am also 6'5" and its going to be very tough in your price range. Where do you intend to sail? weekend or cruising? bluewater or coastal?

Probably your best bet is a used Lagoon 380. They typically have about 6'7" throughout or more, including a walk in shower. Many can be had for under $200 but expect it to be very used, probably ex-charter. If you can stretch to around $220 or so you can probably find an owners version in better condition.

I understand your problem. Good Luck!
This is a question I have been asking for a while as I search for the perfect cat for a 6'7" sailor; me. I agree with Steve, the Lagoon 380's I have chartered have ample height in 80% of the interior spaces. The FP boats that I have been on do not. Although out of your price range, the Main Cat 41 has the best height this 6'7" sailor has found in 41' or less and its performance is outstanding. You also might look at the Lagoon 41. Like the 380 plenty of headroom but the extra length, in my opinion, gives you less hobby-horsing and better performance.
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 10:55   #8

I have little experience with catamarans. But the same issue occurs with monohulls - not for me, but for some of my gravity challenged friends. Anecdotal reports are helpful and can steer you in the right direction, but there is no "source." Do not trust manufacturer's numbers - they are often true, if at all, only in select areas of the boat. The only real way to tell how well you fit in a given boat is to duck, stoop, bump your way around inside it.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 14:51   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
All Catalac Catamarans have 6' 5" in the hulls. The 10M (34')and 12M (41') boats have this in the salon and all areas of the boat as well. These are older boats which are well within your price range.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 23:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
All Catalac Catamarans have 6' 5" in the hulls. The 10M (34')and 12M (41') boats have this in the salon and all areas of the boat as well. These are older boats which are well within your price range.
But, what is their bridge deck clearance ??
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 04:48   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I'm 195 cms and I have standing headroom almost everywhere in my boat - Seawind 1000XL
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 05:22   #12
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
But, what is their bridge deck clearance ??
It's never been an issue in my experience. If you can find a boat built in the 1980's with skeg hung rudders, performance is greatly improved.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 05:39   #13

What is the best bridge deck clearance on any Catalac ( the distance between the sea and the under-surface of the bridge deck) without payload and also with designed cruising payload?
Old 16-07-2010, 09:36   #14

The main problem with standing headroom in a catamaran salon is the relationsship between bridgedeck clearance and esthetics. Normally it needs around 12 m length to get both.

The bridgedeck clearance is also dependent from boats weight, and the hull design. If you have 70 cm between cwl and bridegdeck, an 80 cm high and short wave will hit the bridges bottom, before if could lift 15 t. A boat with half the weight may raise with the wave.

I had developed a catamaran which offers from salon 2.05 cm to bedroom 1.95 cm standing headroom. And I hope it looks not very clumsy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlatCat_Sail_Interior.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	17771   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlatCat_Sail_over.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	17772  

multihuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 19:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Greetings (my first post):

Both my girlfriend and I are tall... she 6', me 6'5. So headroom really is an issue.

We are looking at buying a potentially bluewater capable (no Geminis obviously) cat, but it needs to have reasonable headroom for us.

Most ads in Yachtworld.com do not mention the headroom that the cats for sale there have, and I have tried a number (not all) manufacturers websites to see if that spec is available, and usually it is not.

Can any one direct me to either:
  1. a source that we can use to determine headroom
  2. or suggestions of cats that may be suitable

I hope to stay under $200K, and preferably well under, as I would expect to be spending a good dollar for refurbishing.

Thanks for any guidance.
Check out this one :- 40' Norseman 400 Catamaran

Tags
headroom