Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 16:18   #31
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Help deciding on a Tri besides Dragonfly & Corsair

From what I see there are a couple of Dragonfly 33 tri's on the market. One on the east coast and one on the west coast, both at reasonable prices.
I honestly wouldnt put the Seawind, Gemini or PDQ in the category of condo cats as they all three have somewhat desirable sailing qualities and their design isnt dictated solely for accomodations.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 18:34   #32

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
From what I see there are a couple of Dragonfly 33 tri's on the market. One on the east coast and one on the west coast, both at reasonable prices.
I honestly wouldnt put the Seawind, Gemini or PDQ in the category of condo cats as they all three have somewhat desirable sailing qualities and their design isnt dictated solely for accomodations.
I have seen one Dragonfly on the West Coast, but it had suffered some type of damage and had been repaired. The price was low enough to make me wonder. There was also on somewhere in MD, but when I called the broker said it was under contract. About a month later it popped up again on yachtworld and when I called I got the same story.

No doubt they are good boats, but my experience has been that it is easier to find a unicorn than a Dragonfly.

The condocat comment was more along the lines comparing a Seawind/PDQ/Gemini to a 30-35 ft tri you could put on a trailer. I really like the Seawinds I have been on and agree they are comfortable and sail well.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 12:48   #33

Boat: Pilot Cutter

I am glad to have created the banter. It helps me flesh out what I want. Anybody have experience with the new Farrier 33? How about compared to the F-36?
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 15:33   #34

There is a new Farrier 33 in my Marina. I have a Corsair 37. The guy had some bad luck, hit a reef and sheared the dagger, then last typhoon destroyed his carbon mast. The boat weighs more than my Corsair 37. Nice boat though. I was quoted $600,000 to build a F39 and bought the Corsair 37 for under $300,000. Spent another $50,000 on extras like Lithium Batteries and light weight solar, dodger bimini. I love my boat. It's very simple, fast and perfect for 4 guys to go out on for a week or two.

I Love the F39 but at double the price I might as well get a catamaran. Also slower and heavier than a corsair 37. The F39 would be better suited to live off of though and the inboard is better for longterm cruising I feel but the outboard is a lot simpler.
Tropical Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 20:04   #35

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Thread drift, but if you're talking in the $300 k and up area, there's a thread about a (Drool) Chris White 46 tri.

Simply beautiful.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ale-91960.html

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:07   #36
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico
Thread drift, but if you're talking in the $300 k and up area, there's a thread about a (Drool) Chris White 46 tri.

Simply beautiful.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ale-91960.html
I believe that's a Chris White catamaran not trimaran.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31   #37

Boat: Shuttlecat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Used to race on a Corsair F-31 -- don't believe the rubbish you read in the sales material about it taking 30 minutes to set-up! Probably true of other foldable-trailerables too.
With our race crew it would take less than 30 minutes to setup and launch a corsair 31. Two to three guys and boats that are trailer sailed and rigged for constant launching.

Breakdown was just as fast, we could setup everything before we got to the ramp, and literally were on the road in 10 minutes from getting to ramp.

Just my experience.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
I am glad to have created the banter. It helps me flesh out what I want. Anybody have experience with the new Farrier 33? How about compared to the F-36?
The f33 and f36 are older design at this point. The f36 is demountable. The f33 can be trailered. Not many of either around. The f36 is a 20+ year old design, and the f33 plans can not be purchased, Ian needs to revise the plans or create a new design in the 35 to 37 feet range in my opinion.

The f35 with an aft cabin extended a bit would be my choice for build if I was playing in this space anymore. Bet you could encourage Ian to design.

Cheers,
CB
Old 01-11-2012, 07:46   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

The condocat comment was more along the lines comparing a Seawind/PDQ/Gemini to a 30-35 ft tri you could put on a trailer. I really like the Seawinds I have been on and agree they are comfortable and sail well.
Sailed all the boats you are talking about. Best overall comfort performance and ease of sailing in my experience has been the seawinds.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:00   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Home View Post
I Love the F39 but at double the price I might as well get a catamaran. Also slower and heavier than a corsair 37. The F39 would be better suited to live off of though and the inboard is better for longterm cruising I feel but the outboard is a lot simpler.
Sailed all three. F39 will crank the most miles at sea by far while being the safest and easiest. In this dialog you need to address the sailing part. The reality is running a boat long distances at the speeds we can maintain is a lot of work. While our corsair was faster than our shuttleworth, we actually match or exceed daily averages because it is easier to sail at high speeds on average.

Regarding the inboard vs outboard, with all the tech you have on your new boat and the ability to sail in light winds, why would you ever need an inboard. light fast and simple wins always in a multihull decision matrix.

cheers,
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12   #41

With boat prices down you can buy a lot of boat for $57k. Canted ama Harris or Super light weight Condor 40 with $30k refit.http://picasaweb.google.com/brian.roze/Wings 775 827 2786 pst
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 23:54   #42
Marine Service Provider

Re: Help Deciding on a Tri besides Dragonfly & Corsair

Check out these clips of the TNT 34 taken during a sail from Imperia to La Spezia before the test for European Yacht of the Year

motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:03   #43

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I think this is the same West coast Dragonfly that's been for sale on Ebay.
It got removed from the Ebay listing about the same time this pic was taken.
I suspect the cap shroud adjusters had been left slack after the boat was folded.

Trimaran Mast fell over on my boat after high winds - Raymarine Technical Forum

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:12   #44

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

As a new sailor, I've only been on one mono-hull and my first purchase trainer, the Wind Rider 16. It's great however, I've gotten the, "Bigger Vessel Bug," as my family can not be accommodated on my small trainer. I've been considering the Wind Rider 17 however, I would like to go, "Blue Water," one day. I may have to go as crew or baggage as I'm a DAV with the, "Sailing Bug."
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 15:56   #45

Boat: Corsair F-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
Yeah, I had figured the 30min was hype. Thanks for confirming my skepticism. I sail a NACRA 5.2 now and the guy I bought it from said 30min to water, but it takes me an hour. Humph!

Telstar is on my list. Thanks.

And I did find the Skyhook. Nice boat.
Esarrat and Belizesailor,

It is possible. I've taken an F-31 from mast up, in the water at the launch ramp, to highway ready in just over 30 minutes with another fellow who knew what he was doing. He was on the boat I was on the ground handing him what he needed and taking care of other things. We didn't talk to each other.

On my F-31, by myself, I've pulled into a marina parking lot and had the mast up, halyards run and boat launched and tied to the launch ramp dock in 55 minutes. I was going cruising for a week, so it took me another hour to load all the food and gear and kayaks on board, but that is different from just rigging and launching.

It takes a plan, having dedicated lines for each thing you'll do and only climbing up and down off the boat once and also practice. I used to keep a list of steps to do and would review before driving to the launch ramp. I saw it as a challenge.

If focused and practised and you have another person who knows their job without discussion, 30 minutes is doable.

Parttime Sailor
Parttime Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corsair