Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2020, 16:13   #1

Help My Shearwater

Hello, this is my first time on this forum. I am 13 and just bought a 1960 Shearwater catamaran. I am cleaning out the nasty hulls, all 16.5 feet of them and all around restoring it. All good except for one problem. I don’t know how to rig it. Can anyone direct me to a video about it or contact me? Thanks, and any tips and tricks on restoring it would be welcome
LakeCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 01:45   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Help My Shearwater

Congratulations on your boat and at such a young age as well. I can't help with any videos but, just in case you didn't know, the Shearwater was built by the Prout brothers who of course went on to be the first mass producers of catamarans in the 1970s with Prout Catamarans. So, I'm guessing, but I think your best source of info would be the Prout Owners Group on Facebook. It is a very active group with a lot of long-time Prout owners so give them a try.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 04:51   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Looking at these photos/videos/articles should give you an ideal of what it should look like rigged

https://www.google.com/search?q=prou...&client=safari
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 07:18   #4

Thanks Sailmonkey I will check that out. It came with both sails, alot of rainwater in the hulls and center boards and rudders. The mainsail is in remarkably perfect condition for being 56 years old and the jib in gross conditions for being stored in disgusting water for who knows how many years. Still its a beauty, very classic, and by what it looks, it goes way too fast.
Old 16-08-2020, 08:51   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCow View Post
Thanks Sailmonkey I will check that out. It came with both sails, alot of rainwater in the hulls and center boards and rudders. The mainsail is in remarkably perfect condition for being 56 years old and the jib in gross conditions for being stored in disgusting water for who knows how many years. Still its a beauty, very classic, and by what it looks, it goes way too fast.
Since you are working on this as a rebuild, look into sailrite for replacing the jib. They probably dont have a kit as a stock model but if you take the dimensions from the old one they can send you the materials and instructions to build a new one.
By the way, its always great to see young people getting into sailing, especially in such a hands on fashion. Good on you! Have fun with it
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 08:56   #6

Well the jib is sound, just kind of stained and ugly. But it will work fine I think. If not we have a good friend who is a sailmaker Yeah, thank you. I got into sailing a few years ago with sailing lessons in California and then went to the east coast to sail a 32 foot mono with family friends. I was completely hooked. I used to get seasick but I have no time for that if I am sailing. I get the, “you bought a boat in Colorado” but there are plenty of large lakes here that are plenty big.

Tags
water