Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2009, 19:10   #1

Help Narrow Search for Multihull with Large Common Area

I'm looking for a multi-hull, I really like the layout of the piver with the sleeping arrangements in the wings and common to main area. Dont like a boat all chopped up into little rooms. I like the group together feeling. the area above and below deck for larger groups would be nice also. I'm not new to boating but I am new to shopping 4 a sailboat so any suggestion would be appreciated to help narrow my search. I'd like this 1969 piver 40, needs lots of work but have heard alot of negative about them in these and other blogs. What do you guys think. Looking for something in the 160,000 or under price range. Thanks in advance.

marc
extremeadven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 19:17   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Seawind, if you're looking for a catamaran. Maybe a large Cross, if you're set on a trimaran. The Cross would be a lot cheaper.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 19:35   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37 (TPI)
At this price point I would recommend the Lagoon 37's.
SVKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 19:45   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
What kind of sailing do you plan?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 19:50   #5

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
looking for a multihull

It would help a little more if we knew where you are and which currency you are looking to spend 160000 in.

To pay that much in US $ for a 1969 Piver is probably not a good idea.

You also might want to try joining the cruisersforum.com forum.

Marshall
Old 28-09-2009, 20:07   #6

Boat: Lagoon 37 (TPI)
We went to the Bahamas this past cruising season to check out the boat. It was new to us and we wanted to change some things this season before heading further out next. We are planning on going to the Bahamas in early January and then going on to the western Carribean sometime in March/April. Next hurricane season in the Rio Dulce.
SVKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 06:12   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I'd look at Wildcat 350's. 35' long and 21' wide with an absolutely huge common area, and standing room throughout.

Impressive boats despite the bad press.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 19:53   #8

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
It's out of your price range, but the catamaran with the largest common area, bar absolutely none, is the Prout 45. There are a couple things that make a huge common area. One is to have a bridgedeck cabin go over the hulls. You loose walk way on the sides of the decks BUT it really increases the apparent common area. The second way to do increase the common area is to have the main bridgedeck cabin extend forward. Every catamaran though has a solid bulkhead ahead of the settee area. Prout is the one real exception which a cutout for that area, so the saloon extends to the forward cabin. So while a common room in the settee area is considered pretty large in a catamaran with the bridgedeck cabin extending say 16ft in beam and 10 ft in depth or 160 sq ft, with a Prout you have a 20 ft beam x 15 ft depth room for 300 sq ft. Very, very big. Price, you could probably bargain someone down to the upper 200s. There are other catamarans which have a few tricks up their sleeves as well, Maine cat with no main cabin per se but an enclosure which makes the bridgedeck into one large common area from the mast aft or the Seawind 1160, whose cabin is a good size, but they have the aft bulkhead removeable so the cockpit blends into the cabin. But those are well into the 300s used. For your price range, I would get this, which I can't believe how well it's priced. It also has the bridedeck which extends over the hulls and given it's size is going to be pretty darn huge. View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prout saloon area.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	10221  
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 20:18   #9

Boat: EndeavourCat 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
For your price range, I would get this, which I can't believe how well it's priced. It also has the bridedeck which extends over the hulls and given it's size is going to be pretty darn huge. View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Wonder what the story is. HERE is an old (yr2000?) add where the price started at $399K

PS - not trying to hijack the thread just wondering.
talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 12:27   #10

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
don't know, maybe it's a typo. It's in Panama, which isn't really easy place to sell from, so it could be a typical story where someone gets the boat somewhere, divorces and then wants it sold fast. It that IS the price, I'd definitely look at it.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:22   #11

I purchased a 30ft Endeavourcat in Panama 2 years ago. It was a great place for us to buy it. Explored Panama during 6 months and then crossed the Pacific. Sold the boat in Australia.

If I had the money I would likly fly to Panama to check it out. Panama is a great country. Dont miss San Blas islands. Great to cruise.

Andreas
www.7hav.se
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 16:04   #12

Id like to sail up the east coast, around the Caribbean. No trans-Atlantic stuff probably but I don't know. Id be living aboard for a couple years. I like to host parties and over night gatherings of up to 10 people. I love the looks of the cross charter but the one I was looking at was a day sailer. No sleeping arrangements on board.
Old 30-09-2009, 16:11   #13

No I wasn't planning to spend that much on a Piver but $160,000 US is top price I could invest in a sailboat. that is a range I'm looking at. I'm in the state of maine and expect Ill have to travel to florida on at least much farther south to find something. I'm planning a trip to Florida around Jan. 10th so do some boat shopping. I don't mind doing a full makeover for the right price.
Old 30-09-2009, 19:18   #14

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Narrow search

You might want to look at this Fountaine Pajot Athena 38, iiwii I am not sure, but I think it is still for sale, and has been for quite a while. I believe it was in charter for 5 years before John Hanti purchased her. Whe was located in Stuart, FL

http://unitedyacht.com/yachts/2539/brochurenh.pdf

I looked at it in April 2007 when the owner was asking $174,900 for it. He had it on the market for a while so I offered him $150k, which he refused and said he couldn't take less than $155k. The broker now has it reduced to $149k

I actually liked the boat, the Athena 38 sails well--there is a review somewhere on cruisersforum.com Biggest problem I see is the 2 heads are a little cramped, but plenty of cabin space. My wife felt the interior in the hulls was a little dark--I guess I agree, though I did like the boat. Even though $155k was a good price at the time for a '98 Athena 38 it was really more than we had budgeted and we were really looking for a 35' cat.
Fortunately we found the one we had our hearts set on.

Good luck.

Marshall
Old 01-10-2009, 20:01   #15

There is a 95' 37ft lagoon on yachtworld right now, looks like a well kept boat: LINKY
Don't know how well this will work with your open space requests though.
malovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, multihull, piver, shopping