Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2021, 09:21   #16

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch
Re: Help Please --- First Time $1M+ Purchase

Go forth have fun but do not come on a forum. To ask about being a novice buying a 62 ft sailboat, amd asking how much is it going to cost me to haul it out
If your at that stage to ask then your in fantasy and ,and no doubt more money than sense, research , research research, goole is your friends books are even better, rya is a must, but nope you ask on here madness
I truly hope you are not as gullible as you sound and have more experience and reserved this more than your letting on or your full of it or perhaps you have been watching YouTube and thinking the dream , or won thr lottery .
I'm a dreamer I jump before I can walk I hate normal im aspergers I spent my life saying f ... it bring it on god show me what you got, then I got a family and said um going go to just have a wee look before I leap of the cliff.
So I'm not wanting to dent your dreams just be realistic in your goals, timing, and experience .
A 62ft boat no matter a cat is still 62ft do you know what sail to pull up
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:47   #17

Boat: 46 ft cutter
Re: HELP PLEASE --- FIRST TIME $1M+ PURCHASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Paying a retainer to a guy on a forum named PirateGuy..............
Arrg Matey - I resemble that remark.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:02   #18

Boat: Leopard 45

Have you even checked into the fleet of 45' cats out there? 62' seems way overkill for what you are heading into. As a first boat 62' seems out of line. Have you chartered or sailed on a large cat before? How much experience do you have?
I just hope you are learning to walk before you run.
I'd hold off on the 62' cat and get more experience and even try a charter for a week or a month on something in the 45' range before you bite off more than you can chew. Or even need. In my experience a 45' cat has all the convenience the 62' has but is easier to maneuver, sail, moor, and repair and is a good size for a family of 4.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:17   #19

Objectively, 62' is a lot of boat for anybody, beginner or experienced, especially shorthanded. A cat perhaps even more challenging than a mono at that length.
Personally, I think that such a boat would be stressful to handle shorthanded regardless of the experience level (it can be done, but still would remain stressful), for somewhat diminishing return in increased comfort and amenities over, say, a 45'-55' cat.
The largest cat I have experience with was a 51', a lot of boat to handle already for a couple (experienced sailors), and plenty comfortable for a family.
If I had to buy a 62' cat, I would plan for having a paid crew most of the time. If that is not an attractive/affordable option, I would turn to something smaller, at most 51' or 52'.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
62' seems way overkill for what you are heading into. As a first boat 62' seems out of line.
That is because, like all new dreamers, they are selling the entirety of the only world that they know and are attempting to replace their dirt home (house, condo, apartment, flat) with a boat.

Step #1: I need the same or similar living space I have given up on land.

Mistake #1: I need the same or similar living space I have given up on land.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:31   #21
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster123 View Post
have found the boat of our dreams a Sunreef 62 30 months old one owner and out in Tahiti.
Probably a dream boat to live on at anchor there in Tahiti.

For RTW sailing You will need completely different boat (and good skipper to start with).

Sorry ...
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:31   #22

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Have you considered the option of building some experience first before you plunk down $1M and make a major life style change all at once to something you know very little about?
+1.
Otherwise. I'm sorry but I do have to ask the original poster - you are kidding, right?

If not, well, well done for consulting this forum. A smart move. Maybe you are starting to get a feel for how outlandish this sounds. To be honest, it speaks of a huge disrespect for the sea.

By the way, buying your boat is the easy bit. Running it is something else - that will cost real money. And there will be plenty of people out there who will help you to spend it.

Of course if money is no object then by all means go ahead. But hire a crew - skipper, engineer, deckhand. The boat is certainly big enough to accommodate them.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:43   #23
Marine Service Provider

Historically 1M stands for one thousand, dollars, pounds, pesos or whatever. 1MM stands for one million. It's Latin and was in use for a thousand years until the really woke designation of "K" was dreamed up for everything a few years ago. "K" is the proper metric designator for weights and measures not money.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:27   #24

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster123 View Post
Hi all, your assistance would be most appreciated...
We have decided and at long last in a position to sell up and sail off full time and are considering our first Catamaran and have found the boat of our dreams a Sunreef 62 30 months old one owner and out in Tahiti. We are in the UK during lockdown and are needing help with relevant info we should be considering with the broker.
Yes novice sailors, just a formality we know, first boat ownership lol.
We would like your kind assistance in the sort of questions and information we should be asking prior to undertaking expense in surveying.
Our general considerations have been around taxes and country registration, mooring, maintenance, warranty issues, ongoing ownership costs.
The list is endless however you don't know what you don't know so any help you kind people can offer will be much appreciated.
We are planning on circumnavigating full time over the next decade and are looking to be out on the water in the next 4-6 months subject to this Covid fiasco.
Kind regards, family of 4 in cold dark Yorkshire...soon to be in warmer waters.
A bit late to the party here, but your post confuses me on a couple of counts. You stated that you're planning on selling up and then that you're novice sailors (in no way a formality). If you truly are new to sailing then the first step would be take your whole mob on Week long Med charter - just to make sure that everybodys' on board with sailing and not prone to puking everyday. Since you're in the UK, you could also take the Rya courses which are the best universal credentials you can get in terms of sailing courses.

The second thing that's confusing me is why four people would think they need a 62' catamaran when a mid sized model would have enough space to accommodate any luxury (shy of a hot tub), would cost at least half as much and could actually be parked and hauled out in a lot more places than the big cat, The big cat will only be a couple of knots faster but many cat owners focus more on slowing down than going faster. Every couple of years or so you'll need to find a marina that can haul you out for bottom painting - boats with extremely wide beams can be difficult to find adequate facilities for.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 14:14   #25

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

My first thought is, "You do have another $1M to make this dream come true, right?"

Everyone above has certainly covered the main problems of this adventure, now get the cat under option to buy and take all the RYA courses mentioned above & hire a Captain, Engineer, & all around Mate to handle the boat for you. Current owner may have them already, if so lucky you.

Of course a charter in the med would be nice too. Go to Tahiti and check things out with a highly regarded surveyor and go from there on purchase or not.

Just my $.02 worth based on many years of experience.

Apollo Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 14:14   #26

Boat: Freedom 32

First of all with all the respect to the participants here, what the heck are you thinking? Do you know these guys? do you know who is qualified to give you an valid answer and who’s not? Of course you don’t. To draw a parallel think about this. You have a very large diamond but you don’t know what to sell it for. So you go to the local city bus stop at 5 PM and ask the people waiting for a bus what their opinion is. Make sense? Making decisions like this makes me wonder how you came across $1 million to invest. Maybe it was a gift.
Or maybe someone at that bus stop gave you $1 million for that rock. Don’t mind me I’m just passing by. I would wish you good luck but if you’ve gotten this far and still have $1 million you’re doing something better than me.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 14:14   #27

Boat: Former Privilege 48

My three cents,

Since many of us have been out there, we know what you don't.

I sailed a 48 foot cat for ten years, some time just with myself and my parrot.

That size cat created problems, just by it's size. Haul outs were difficult, mechanics and parts scarce in some ports. And then there are the docking fees at Marinas where you will pull into at times.

I would never discourage you from following your dream, but make sure it's the family's dream too! It's pretty easy to jump ship if they decide they don't like the cruising life. Just ask my ex-wife.
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 14:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
First of all with all the respect to the participants here, what the heck are you thinking? Do you know these guys? do you know who is qualified to give you an valid answer and who’s not?
I'm not sure how much qualification it takes to advise someone who has admitted to never sailing that a circumnavigating in a 62 foot cat is biting off more than they can chew.

The bus stop analogy would only make sense if it were in the jewelry district. just about everyone (who is piping in) has at least a few sea miles under their keel.

It's the "Go for It" crowd that needs a bit of a reality check every now and then.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 14:30   #29
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish View Post
My three cents,

Since many of us have been out there, we know what you don't.

I sailed a 48 foot cat for ten years, some time just with myself and my parrot.

That size cat created problems, just by it's size. Haul outs were difficult, mechanics and parts scarce in some ports. And then there are the docking fees at Marinas where you will pull into at times.

I would never discourage you from following your dream, but make sure it's the family's dream too! It's pretty easy to jump ship if they decide they don't like the cruising life. Just ask my ex-wife.

That’s all fine and dandy, but seriously we need to know how much experience the parrot had to make an educational guess at this.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 15:14   #30
cruiser

Re: HELP PLEASE --- FIRST TIME $1M+ PURCHASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Paying a retainer to a guy on a forum named PirateGuy..............
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, purchase