Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2021, 14:31   #46

Re: Help Please --- First Time $1M+ Purchase

Wow, the price just keeps dropping. She was built in Turkey and I'm sure the choice of the Iveco engine was an economy measure, since they are a readily available engine in Europe. I think the engine speed is very comparable to a 6 cylinder Cummins, but the Gardner engines do have a great reputation.

The paint seems to have been freshened up in the latest pictures, it had been chalky on the exterior before. Also notice several different prices on the last listing from $500k to $245k.

Definitely seems a great boat for the price, wish I had that much to spend... A similar price to the trailerable tugs with their 75-125hp engines.
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 15:28   #47

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
I think the engine speed is very comparable to a 6 cylinder Cummins, but the Gardner engines do have a great reputation.

Depends on the Cummins
Ours only goes to 1850rpm at full noise but 1150rpm has us doing 7.5 knots using around 100 of the ponies locked inside.

Ours when reconfigured and repowered was looking at a Gardner but an 855 Cummins was chosen instead - glad they did as the 6lxb Gardner would have been running hard on ours.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 15:36   #48

I'm sure the guy's not a troll. He just wised up and decided he needed professional help, not just a bunch of forum lurkers. He's probably invested in the sage advice and services of Pirate Guy.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:51   #49

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
I'm sure the guy's not a troll. He just wised up and decided he needed professional help, not just a bunch of forum lurkers. He's probably invested in the sage advice and services of Pirate Guy.
Naw, Mr. A Million Bucks is Burning a Hole in my Pocket is far lower in my priorities of life than trying to convince the latest in a string of young hotties to come sailing with me in the islands.
That and trying to optimize my DIY LFP house battery bank. Found some counterfeit Chinese batteries I picked up on Fleabay at an apparently too good to be true price.
Aaaarrr me Mateys - even suspicious, one legged, parrot toting, devastatingly handsome cynics can get burned, I guess.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:42   #50

I love these posts as they make me seem less crazy (which my family thinks I am)

Got five more years before I retire and have house paid off and kids no longer living at home. Plan is to sell up and buy a catamaran and the two of us sail the world. Basically stuck inside watching you-tube videos has awakened the dream. Did a bit of sailing as a teenager but none since - so really all I know is what port and starboard are and what a sail looks like. The plan for the next few years is to learn how to sail get experience make sure both of us are onboard with this before we make an "investment" (which is nowhere where $1,000,000 - more than likely a used 40'). Then once we've made the plunge use the Caribbean as a training ground before venturing to Pacific.

In the meantime absorb as much info as possible.
Gary_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:20   #51

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
Agreed. But then to maybe he got tired of all the snarky remarks and nasty attitudes. While I agree that a 62 cat is way more than he needs, at this point he doesn’t realize that. A charter on a 42-45 ft. Cat will enlighten him, along with the input from the charter captain. Good luck to him, wouldn’t we all love to be in his position !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:32   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Whatever happened to...I bought a Capri 16, then moved up to a Catalina 25, followed by a Hunter 36, and finally I have my Jeanneau 41DS. Oh, and in the process I learned alot. I learned so much that I decided my trip around the world was reduced to just going up and down the west coast of the US/Canada/Mexico when the times comes.
I am so glad I did not buy that Jenneau 40 something as my first boat 30 years ago.
You are in the UK, know very little to nothing about sailing and you are going to move into a boat in Tahiti. Not a good idea. I would read what Tupaia stated over and over again till it is memorized.

Seriously, good luck to the OP....but do you homework, practice a lot, and learn to fix things before you leave the shores.

Abe
What happened? You tube happened. People stuck at home in a pandemic have watched a few videos of La vagabond or the wynns and now think they can sail away easily. I foresee lots of boats on the market in a year or two when reality hits.
LkOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:33   #53

Boat: 1973 Whitby 42 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Paul

Let me start with complimenting you for asking before the purchase. I have delivered boats for many who purchased then sought guidance.

In business when you had a new or unusual situation, you sought out a competent consultant, or hired someone with the relevant skills. Your new adventure should be looked at in the same manner.

Suggest that you start with what the insurance carriers will require. I have taken an owner and his friend from non-boaters to being able to handle a Saba 50, in coastal waters, and their insurance company accepted that. But a 62 is a lot more boat!

Once insurance is worked out, now look at boats. But as a newbie you may not be able to see the value, or lack thereof, in a vessel. Having someone like Bob Perry, who is a yacht designer, or someone else to mentor you through the process. Your mentor could also be the delivery captain that you plan on using.

During the purchase phase you should also be taking some basic classes. Independent studying would include reading up on the physics of sailing and weather and radar.

Finally, when the boat is purchased you should be part of the delivery crew.

Very well put. 62 feet is a lot of boat and probably has a 25 Plus foot beam. Not like parallel parking a volkswagen. Best of luck in your dreams!
uptickguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:38   #54

Boat: Bali 4.8 Sailing Catamaran

Congratulations - go for it.

I only read about 20% of the comments here and I'm not even sure why as I knew what was coming already.

Internet forums are mostly junk in general and sailing forums have what are some of the most sanctimonious, pretentious individuals on earth. Whatever you're doing is wrong and they'll be happy to tell you how to run your beautiful Sunreef from the their armchair from the viewpoint of their 60 year old monohull that hasn't left it's mooring in a decade.

My advice - get ahold of Grant from Nauticed.org. They got some great resources to get you up to speed on the basics and they know a ton of people worldwide to help get you on your way.

Enjoy every minute. My wife and I are going on almost a year on a new Bali 4.3 (for sale!) and loving it so much we decided to move up to a 4.8

PM me if you have any other ?'s!
Bali43Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:39   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkOntario View Post
What happened? You tube happened. People stuck at home in a pandemic have watched a few videos of La vagabond or the wynns and now think they can sail away easily. I foresee lots of boats on the market in a year or two when reality hits.
I think this is always the case, but there is never an end to the next batch of dreamers ready to take their place. I’m always surprised when I see a listing of an amazing boat less than 2 years old that was obviously someone’s dream that’s now for sale. I can’t help be think that there was some medical or family issues that prompted the change which makes it all that more important to go now while you can.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:39   #56

My advice ? Just take advice. You’re not experienced enough to make this decision. And it’s one that could cost you way more than that million you’re budgeting for and may well kill you and your family. I know that sounds dramatic but it’s just the truth.

It’s a bit like flying. Once you’ve taken off , the only thing that will get you safely on the ground will be your skill and experience.

Same with that big boat. Once you’re out of sight of the dock , only your skill and experience will get you and your family safely back. And you don’t have either.

One more thing. If you scare your wife and children, that ends your dream of cruising instantly.

I’m not saying don’t do. Just saying. Take advice. You need it.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:41   #57

Rule of Thumb: 10% of the value or your boat in maintenance and up keep per year. Note if you get a 100K boat for 50K it is still 10% or 100K.

Good luck. I often wonder how many people choose the lifestyle and then bail...
tgradyv7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:46   #58

Boat: Catalina 270, 27 ft

Novice sailor is ready to spend 1M+ on a first boat. Guess you can't make this stuff up.
Bawlmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:58   #59

Boat: 1973 Whitby 42 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgradyv7m View Post
Rule of Thumb: 10% of the value or your boat in maintenance and up keep per year. Note if you get a 100K boat for 50K it is still 10% or 100K.

Good luck. I often wonder how many people choose the lifestyle and then bail...
More important is how many choose this lifestyle and are still in love with it. You have to try to find out if you like it. If it cost a million and does not work out, then sell the boat for 900000 and try something else. But go for it! I bought my first boat not knowing **** about sailing. Then I learned how to ground it, run into fuel docks, break rigging by jibling at the wrong time, rip sails by not reefing correctly and all the other wonderful lessons that sailors never do on this forum because they were born under Popeye's eternal guidance and sailing was instinctual for them.

These days I still run aground in certain areas due to shoaling and occasionally nail a fuel dock hard, but I love the life, have learned to fix most stuff or break out the checkbook, and would not give up the cruising lifestyle for anything at this moment in time. Especially during this COVID ******** did this life turn out to be a blessing. We were free to sail but not go ashore in populated areas. I saw more of South Florida/ The keys, and Southwest Florida in the last year than in the previous 30 years here. Wonderful gunkholing while the world was locked down.

Some mistakes can be expensive. However, the risk can be mitigated using some common sense. Join a local sailing club for a couple hundred bucks a year. Go to the meetings and happy hours. Find someone who owns a boat close to what you want to get and buy him a few drinks and ask what he would do if he were buying his boat now.

But most importantly, do it or you will never know what you are missing. And can always get most of your money back if you don't care for it.

Best of luck my friend. Hope to meet you in Miami or the Keys one of these days to share a ration of grog!

Cheers !
uptickguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 06:59   #60

Reading the title, I thought this was going to be about a prince needing help getting $1m out of a country and needed my checking account number.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, purchase