Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2021, 07:00   #61

Re: Help Please --- First Time $1M+ Purchase

You need to hire Capt. Ron.

Don't know who he is? Watch the movie, then you will understand.
captainmarknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 07:07   #62

Boat: Leopard 42

Paul,
I would only recommend a boat this size, with no experience, if it is crewed. You really need to plan on having an experienced captain on board for a year minimum. This will help in acquiring insurance and give you time to learn skills and gain experience.
mountaindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 07:08   #63

Good Day All .......

I am to take a guess here so bear with me ......

I believe this post is really a moment of grandeur ..... now talk me out of it ......

When I see a post that says ..... I have an idea or hey Bubba hold my beer and watch this ...... I scratch me head sit back and have a cold one and ponder ...... why?

I see post as ..... hey look at me .... I have a million dollars ..... and want to spend it on something I know nothing about ...... I think pirateguy may be spot on. A fool and their money are often easily separated.

If the poster is serious ...... here's my advice: Don't do it and don't put your family at risk. Everything looks like a lot of fun in Hollywood movies or on the internet until you go behind the scenes and see the rest of the story. I recommend spending a month in Tahiti on dry land and do some sailing to see if you like Tahiti and sailing both are not for everyone. Then if it fits ....... get lots of experience on rented smaller boats and eventually move up when you are ready.

Be safe be smart and be real!!

Cheers!
captainwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 07:16   #64

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

I am not a broker, I hate brokers with a passion, but in My 40 years involved with boats, I have purchased many boats over seas.
About tax, every country is different. I never paid tax on My last boat because it was bought in Curacao and registered in Canada. As long as the boat does not go back to Canada I do not have to pay the tax till then. But one important factor is the "de-registration" of the boat. Before you can register it in your country, you need a de certification from the country where it is flagged. So I always keep a 10% back until I get the de certification. Last one took 3 months to come from the Netherlands. For the survey, it is a hit and miss. Many surveyors are not qualified, I would rely more on an old salt like Me, that as not connections to a broker. Problem is that in a small country, they are all related or in cahoots. So know old sailors with 40 years experience like me would be My choice. Especially when you are in the million dollar range. Good luck.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 07:32   #65

This sounds like a scam.

See various scam stories at

https://www.sailingtexas.com/chumor4.html
Gingersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 07:33   #66

Boat: Fountain Pajot Maryland 37
Send a message via Skype™ to womensetsail

We are two women sailors. We've boated all our lives in Florida and Hawaii, on smaller power boats and fishing in Hawaii, but when we decided to purchase a larger catamaran sailboat and sail off, we made sure we had all the proper classes, including Captains Licenses. We chartered with a captain first, took all the proper classes and USCG classes. We even flew to California to take a diesel engine class for women.

With a boat that size in the US you would need Master 100 ton Captain License to operate, correct everyone?

It is unfathomable to me that anyone unfamiliar with boating would cast off with a family aboard on a boat that size without knowing anything about sailing.
womensetsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 07:43   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by womensetsail View Post

With a boat that size in the US you would need Master 100 ton Captain License to operate, correct everyone?
I can't speak for everyone, however to my knowledge there are no USCG requirements for licensing based on the size of the vessel for recreational vessels.

Requirements such as classes, sea time, captains, etc are all dictated by your insurance company.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 08:01   #68

Boat: Cal 29 mk2
Re: HELP PLEASE --- FIRST TIME $1M+ PURCHASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
Feel free to PM me for private or onsite consultations. Retainer plus expenses required.
oh boy !
capn ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 08:13   #69

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

That is one huge boat. I noticed a few youtube videos on this particular boat, you might want to review those to compare with the one you are considering.
It will be a LOT of boat to handle. The six people in this picture look tiny.

BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 08:41   #70

If you have that kind of money hirer a licensed Captain for a year. Might solve most of your problems. Make sure he knows the boat!!!
jpmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 09:00   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster123 View Post
Hi all, your assistance would be most appreciated...
We have decided and at long last in a position to sell up and sail off full time and are considering our first Catamaran and have found the boat of our dreams a Sunreef 62 30 months old one owner and out in Tahiti. .
Under these circumstances, would consider hiring on an experienced captain for at least a year.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 09:02   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by womensetsail View Post

If not taking people for, say, charter, don't think any specific license is required.

Need to purchase a million bucks of common sense before setting out, however.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 09:04   #73

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 34

This post so wild that I decided to post for first time. I get wanting to go for it and change your life drastically. In this instance, safety of family is pretty important. I wouldnt intentionally put my family in harms way like is being contemplated here. I think that in order to execute a plan like this, you would want to break it down into steps that ensure the best outcome . EG :
- take sailing courses locally
- do a charter w family
- read everything you possibly can about others experience who are actually doing this ( this forum has been helpful for me)
- buy a smaller boat to start

Could be the post is a troll as well..
poopship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 09:06   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Moody 41

Sunreef? Stay away. As Yeloya stated, their build quality is not up where it should be. Keep looking.
dnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 09:09   #75

One has to take everything said here with a pinch of salt... If I take an example, the Canadian buffalo rancher who commissioned "Idlewild" to be built as a bare hull, then finishing it himself, followed by transporting it by river (and over land) to the arctic ocean and thence doing the "Northwest passage" or maybe it was a "North East passage" given the direction....

After getting through the ice, he then went on to do a circumnavigation, setting a record for the longest un-refueled passage in a motor yacht. Ben Gray went on to do all this without any background in boating beyond having small pleasure craft like a lot of us do. However, the man was clearly an experienced engineer and self sufficient, knowing all systems in his vessel and having problem solving skills to get himself out of all the jams that he got into (and there were many) along the way.

Its not clear that the OP has this skill set or not, definitely a tall order...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ben Gray An incredibe Journey.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	232857  
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, purchase