Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2021, 05:47   #106

Re: Help Please --- First Time $1M+ Purchase

Thanks for kind words of encouragement.
If you haven't got anything to add that might assist us, I would suggest you don't say anything at all.
Negativity is the last thing we need.
PaulForster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 06:25   #107

Boat: Southerly 57

Paul - I’m sticking with you. it’s awesome to do this if you can. I recommend doing a crewed charter of a large cat with the family to get a feel of the space and living conditions. Then find a good broker to help you find what you want. A knowledgeable broker can guide you not just to the purchase, but help you find things like a quality captain and service providers.

I’m sorry for the board feedback when you’re thinking of such a cool dream to realize. This board can be rough to newbies, but for the most part their hearts are in the right place. They are concerned with your safety, since sailing without boat, navigation and weather skills can be deadly. Once they get that you’re serious and not some wild yahoo with too much money with a death wish they will lighten up.
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:37   #108

Friends are those who tell us what we need to hear, not what we want to hear.

Those who are looking to make a shekel or three, or enjoy being popular, will always say what they think we want to hear.

Not forgetting those who just want to egg on those they could care less about so as to laugh up their sleeve at them.

'nuff said.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 13:17   #109

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Paul

Let me start with complimenting you for asking before the purchase. I have delivered boats for many who purchased then sought guidance.

In business when you had a new or unusual situation, you 👀 sought out a competent consultant, or hired someone with the relevant skills. Your new adventure should be looked at in the same manner.

Suggest that you start with what the insurance carriers will require. I have taken an owner and his friend from non-boaters to being able to handle a Saba 50, in coastal waters, and their insurance company accepted that. But a 62 is a lot more boat!

Once insurance is worked out, now look at boats. But as a newbie you may not be able to see the value, or lack thereof, in a vessel. Having someone like Bob Perry, who is a yacht designer, or someone else to mentor you through the process. Your mentor could also be the delivery captain that you plan on using.

During the purchase phase you should also be taking some basic classes. Independent studying would include reading up on the physics of sailing and weather and radar.

Finally, when the boat is purchased you should be part of the delivery crew.
. Well said !
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:24   #110

I purchased a 53ft ketch as my first sailboat. I had sailed in the Bahamas, Eastern Caribbean, and Chesapeake Bay as captain on bare boat rentals 30+ times after taking a learn to sail then cruising class 20 years prior. I had sailed on many different types of boats, and studied boat design as a lay person to understand the vagaries of different boats. I dont know how you arrived at a 60ft catamaran, but i suspect it looks great in pictures with lots of room to live in. Have you studied the differences in catamarans and monohulls, and trimarans? Have you sailed on any of the boats you are considering?

I was a physician by trade, and knew how inexperienced I was at repairing nonbiological things. I am finally ready to start my circumnavigation 12 years after buying my dream boat. I know what spares i need and how to repair almost everything on the boat. I've taken numerous classes on boat repair, safety at sea, weather prediction, heavy weather sailing, and have at least 3 dozen books I've read about cruising. I'm aging out at 73 with back and knee and hip issues .... Its hard to get in the awkward positions required to fix things.
I guess I'm suggesting that you sound woefully unprepared for a life at sea. This forum is a good place to start. Go on some charter trips with your family and an experienced captain and crew. Do an ocean passage or two on different boats with different captains (also with your family), passage making isn't for everybody.

I would guess that you could be ready to go if you immerse yourself and your family in learning as much as you can absorb in 2-3 years. Don't buy until you have done your homework, you'll be much more likely to buy the right boat.

Get your family involved from the beginning. You can't be the only one with skills. If you are sick or injured, they have to be able to handle what ever comes.

This all sounds discouraging, I'm sure. If you find you love sailing as much as the people on this forum do, the process will be great fun and worth all the time, effort, and money. If you jump in without understanding what is involved, you are likely to end up buying the wrong boat, putting your family in danger, or divorced.
Good luck!
karkauai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, purchase