Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2024, 17:07   #226

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: HH 44 by the Wynss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Why do you need a 2m walkway? Between 2x800W of glass panels we have a 500mm walkway along the centre of our bimini and that is sufficient to access the boom. I note that Parley Revival on their Lagoon 450F have a narrow walkway as well.

We have 1000W in three panels above our davits, which are considerably lower than the bimini. Replacing them with bifacial panels is a future, low priority project. With our boat we also consider windage and don’t want our panel footprint to be too much bigger than the original design. Filling in all the space between the sugar scoops on our boat would be dangerous, your boat not so much.
On the Odisea 48 also HH44 (its already quite far back but eg 2x700W panel with the short side about 1m out next to each other would work) you could easly just extending the vertical part of the roof above the sugarscoups without much added windage, sure the sides stay open. On odisea you would need a poles as support on the lowest step of the sugarscoups.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2024, 21:04   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Well, it may depend on the builder. We met a Guam-based guy who was delivering his own MC44 hybrid from Vietnam to Guam via Indonesia. Most of his solar panels had burnt out, neither electric engine’s regeneration was working, and both his diesel engines’ alternators had fried. He ended up buying a petrol generator to complete his delivery home. Apparently was not getting any support from MaxCruise or the builder and of course in a place like Indonesia nobody knows anything about these hybrid systems. YMMV

The Wynns seem to be really happy with their HH as it works the way it should, but boy, there’s a lot of complex systems on that boat that eventually will begin to fail. As well as those glued-down soft panels. I’m not sure that being an early adopter of a hybrid system is worth the risk if you’re going to cruise remotely. Totally different if you stick to areas with good marine technical resources. Time will tell.
That’s why I would only build with Max Cruise shipyard. They seem to provide excellent support. I’ve just met a bloke on his way to New Zealand from Max Cruise in Vietnam passing through Darwin. He has a custom rotating mast rig on his MC 44 and had some issues with it on his way to Australia. Max Cruise flew out someone to Darwin to meet him on arrival and help him work through the problem and continue on his journey within days.

Agree on the complexity of these systems. Apparently, Hybrid Marine (who creates the hybrid systems for both Max Cruise and HH has been in business for more than 15 years. So newish technology but much more tried and tested than any of the alternatives.
SoFoSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 00:02   #228

Boat: Outremer 55L

It’s not just windage from the side; think about what happens when an ocean swell lifts a hull from the side or the sterns from behind and the wind sees all that panel area from underneath. Especially in stronger wind that you can’t guarantee avoiding.

Some cats are designed to be a rectangle that is completely filled in (small, dense trampolines forward, solid bridgedeck going all the way to the sterns) so you can fill in the available space with panels (there is a weight consideration too, not just of the panels, but of the supports as well).

HH carries their bridgedeck very far aft and the davits extend back from that. You probably should check with the designers whether it is OK to extend the bimini line another 1 or 2m aft. Since they want to maximise solar charging, why wasn’t that already done? Same issue for any other boat, really.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 00:34   #229

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
You have fairly good forward visibility through the windows in a boat like that. Similar with the down helm position in a Balance.

That said, I still think a bulkhead helm with a raised bimini over you head simply can't be beat. I don't get why that is so out of fashion when it's so practical.

The Catana OC now has bulkhead helm, they also fully enclose the rear cockpit, a al Bali. Fashion or practicality who knows but I can see others reverting to bulkhead helms in the future.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 15:36   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
The Catana OC now has bulkhead helm, they also fully enclose the rear cockpit, a al Bali. Fashion or practicality who knows but I can see others reverting to bulkhead helms in the future.
I have to say, i really don’t care for the new Catana OC just seems like a slightly sportier Bali. Having to walk around the outside to get to the helm is a dealbreaker.

Having seen this boat in person, I’d bet the farm that it’s not even close to the lightship displacement they advertise. Put it next to a competitor that’s an actual performance cat in the 50’ range and it looks bloated. It’s all a compromise i understand but someone buying this thinking they’ll sail with an HH50 or Outremer 51/52 will be sorely disappointed.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 17:37   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
I have to say, i really don’t care for the new Catana OC just seems like a slightly sportier Bali. Having to walk around the outside to get to the helm is a dealbreaker.

Having seen this boat in person, I’d bet the farm that it’s not even close to the lightship displacement they advertise. Put it next to a competitor that’s an actual performance cat in the 50’ range and it looks bloated. It’s all a compromise i understand but someone buying this thinking they’ll sail with an HH50 or Outremer 51/52 will be sorely disappointed.
Agree, same with Bali, never ever meet their advertised lightship.

But besides a catana 471/2 with performance cruising laminate sails if you think to sail a catana on par with an outremer, HH or balance you will already be disappointed for beginning.
They are on luxury faster cruising catamaran side like eg a antares but not a performance cat.
Old 19-05-2024, 00:01   #232

Boat: Mumby 48

Catana haven't made a genuine "performance" cat since the Crowther designed generation!
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 00:40   #233

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

I didn't say I liked it, just that it had a bulkhead helm. Yes, it seems that Catana apply the pump it up technique to their bigger designs. The Catana 90 for example oversized in every aspect seats doors windows - bloated, except the sail gear that is undersized. They are also very heavy. I know of a 43ft that displaces 14T. But I digress aft helms would be a deal breaker for me on any cat.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 14:09   #234

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

We are in process for our build for our HH44 right now. Its expected completion is early 2026. Nice to see all the comments and opinions about the boat. We're really looking forward to picking it up. As we are cruisers, we have added more options (and weight) than some may agree with, but its important for us for it to be comfortable platform to live on. We are ok with sacrificing some performance for that, but I expect we will still be able to reach 10-12Kts hull speed in reasonable wind. The ability to sail in 5-8kts of wind is what we're really looking for.

The concern about the solar panels is valid. Its one of my main worries as to whether or not they will last or perform as expected.
Qismat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 14:55   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qismat View Post
We are in process for our build for our HH44 right now. Its expected completion is early 2026. Nice to see all the comments and opinions about the boat. We're really looking forward to picking it up. As we are cruisers, we have added more options (and weight) than some may agree with, but its important for us for it to be comfortable platform to live on. We are ok with sacrificing some performance for that, but I expect we will still be able to reach 10-12Kts hull speed in reasonable wind. The ability to sail in 5-8kts of wind is what we're really looking for.

The concern about the solar panels is valid. Its one of my main worries as to whether or not they will last or perform as expected.
Congrats and excellent choice, I can understand why you guys are excited! So did you choose the OC or SC version if you don’t mind me asking? Also wondering if HH has given the future owner’s feedback yet on the prop selection and motoring speeds you can expect vs the first couple of hulls who are only seeing 5kts? I’m sure that will get sorted.

Will you pick it up in Asia and cruise there first or have it shipped to your destination? Enjoy the wait in the meantime and it’s pretty cool the Wynn’s are able to give you the look into your future and you’ll know the boat very well by the time you get her!
Old 08-06-2024, 15:02   #236

Quote:
Congrats and excellent choice, I can understand why you guys are excited! So did you choose the OC or SC version if you don’t mind me asking? Also wondering if HH has given the future owner’s feedback yet on the prop selection and motoring speeds you can expect vs the first couple of hulls who are only seeing 5kts? I’m sure that will get sorted.

Will you pick it up in Asia and cruise there first or have it shipped to your destination? Enjoy the wait in the meantime and it’s pretty cool the Wynn’s are able to give you the look into your future and you’ll know the boat very well by the time you get her!

Ours is an sc. We weighed the models and prices and by the time we added the options we wanted (that come standard on the sc) the price was approaching the SC price, but then with keels and an aluminum rig rather than cf.

They have given us some feedback, but there's more to discuss. As someone mentioned, the Wynn's props are set up for max regeneration. Which means they're pitched so that they spin the most rather than thrust more for each spin. We will not be doing that.

We'll be sailing our current vessel over to meet it in the Philippines and cruise there.
Old 08-06-2024, 15:11   #237

Quote:
Ours is an sc. We weighed the models and prices and by the time we added the options we wanted (that come standard on the sc) the price was approaching the SC price, but then with keels and an aluminum rig rather than cf.

They have given us some feedback, but there's more to discuss. As someone mentioned, the Wynn's props are set up for max regeneration. Which means they're pitched so that they spin the most rather than thrust more for each spin. We will not be doing that.

We'll be sailing our current vessel over to meet it in the Philippines and cruise there.
Should be an amazing catamaran & that’s what we would have chosen as well. Is the CF from Marstrom or are you able to choose the manufacturer you’d like? Also curious if that comes with EC3 carbon standing rigging or something similar?

About the only thing I would add is some glass solar panels over the davits. Congrats again and good luck with the build 👍🏻
Old 08-06-2024, 15:18   #238

Quote:

Congrats, wish i had the funds to order one too. Maybe in 3 years...
Did you take the daggerboards or the winglet mini keels?
Old 09-06-2024, 16:50   #239

Boat: 2017 Bali 4.0

I have a friend that has the Andreas and he said he gets about 8.5 on a beam reach. Don't really consider that a performance cruiser.
HUFFnPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 12:19   #240

Quote:
Should be an amazing catamaran & that’s what we would have chosen as well. Is the CF from Marstrom or are you able to choose the manufacturer you’d like? Also curious if that comes with EC3 carbon standing rigging or something similar?

About the only thing I would add is some glass solar panels over the davits. Congrats again and good luck with the build 👍🏻
The CF rig is Marstrom. I'm not sure beyond that - They don't let us choose. The standing rigging is K49 synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Congrats, wish i had the funds to order one too. Maybe in 3 years...
Did you take the daggerboards or the winglet mini keels?
The SC model comes with daggerboards as standard.