Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2024, 12:30   #241

Re: HH 44 by the Wynss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qismat View Post
Ours is an sc. We weighed the models and prices and by the time we added the options we wanted (that come standard on the sc) the price was approaching the SC price, but then with keels and an aluminum rig rather than cf.

They have given us some feedback, but there's more to discuss. As someone mentioned, the Wynn's props are set up for max regeneration. Which means they're pitched so that they spin the most rather than thrust more for each spin. We will not be doing that.

We'll be sailing our current vessel over to meet it in the Philippines and cruise there.
Are you getting glass or plexi windows? Originally the Wynns said they were gettting glass but I haven't noticed them mention it since launch. While I assume the glass is heavier I'm not sure how the new Lewmar glass compares in weight to plexi.

It strikes me as a really interesting weight tradeoff for a performance cat. But I sure would like the ease of maintenance and longevity of glass. After 5 years or so, plexi is just a pain.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 12:36   #242

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Are you getting glass or plexi windows? Originally the Wynns said they were gettting glass but I haven't noticed them mention it since launch. While I assume the glass is heavier I'm not sure how the new Lewmar glass compares in weight to plexi.

It strikes me as a really interesting weight tradeoff for a performance cat. But I sure would like the ease of maintenance and longevity of glass. After 5 years or so, plexi is just a pain.
Per our contract the salon windows are tempered glass. The hatches are lewmar, unspecified.
Qismat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 12:49   #243

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qismat View Post
Per our contract the salon windows are tempered glass.
Glass windows and /or hatches are a huge improvement over the plastic alternative.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 16:52   #244

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

Our boat has about 104 sqft of "windows" area. The ISO CE requirements with our opening size is 1/2" if acrylic and 5/16" if tempered glass. The weight difference is 136 lbs overall.
Old 10-06-2024, 16:56   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Our boat has about 104 sqft of "windows" area. The ISO CE requirements with our opening size is 1/2" if acrylic and 5/16" if tempered glass. The weight difference is 136 lbs overall.
Did you guys go with glass Matt?
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 17:14   #246

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Still deciding. The cost is 5 times acrylic. I'd like to go with tempered/laminated, but that's almost 10 times the cost.
Old 10-06-2024, 21:38   #247

Boat: Mumby 48

Personally, as an owner of a boat with polycarbonate windows, I'd sacrifice the weight and find the money to go glass.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 04:16   #248

Quote:
Still deciding. The cost is 5 times acrylic. I'd like to go with tempered/laminated, but that's almost 10 times the cost.
This is one area that I’d absolutely sacrifice the dollars and weight. Just walking the dock recently in Jolly Harbor at sunrise when the angle of the light was just right I cringed as I walked by all the cats with plastic windows and the crazing that every single one of them had.

Your future self will thank you!
Old 11-06-2024, 07:12   #249

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
This is one area that I’d absolutely sacrifice the dollars and weight. Just walking the dock recently in Jolly Harbor at sunrise when the angle of the light was just right I cringed as I walked by all the cats with plastic windows and the crazing that every single one of them had.

Your future self will thank you!

Acrylic has 15-17x the impact resistance of tempered glass and does not shatter. Why bother with weight saving carbon and then accept the weight of glass.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 07:23   #250

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Acrylic has 15-17x the impact resistance of tempered glass and does not shatter. Why bother with weight saving carbon and then accept the weight of glass.
The impact resistance on these glass windows made by lewmar is pretty impressive. I'll be glad not to have to replace all my windows after 5 years because they've crazed/gone translucent.
Qismat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 07:24   #251

Quote:
As an engineer I can answer this one easily. It’s because tempered glass exceeds the performance requirements for the application by 10X, so just because acrylic is 15x better in a single metric does not mean it’s the best choice.

Acrylic will scratch and craze and need to be replaced. Walk any dock and look at how bad it looks after a few years. Glass windows can have ceramic UV and Heat mitigation film applied that will cut down the head in the saloon by 12-15 degrees. How important is that in the tropics?

An airplane is 4000x faster across the Atlantic Ocean that a catamaran, doesn’t always mean it’s the right choice for the goal in mind.
Old 16-06-2024, 15:25   #252

Boat: Mumby 48

Quote:
So you can see out your windows.
It's a pretty huge safety and liveability thing IMO.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 16:34   #253

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
You could do a mix, the front facing windows glass and side acrylic. The front one are important for visability.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 23:21   #254

Boat: Outremer 55L

Back to the HH44, a couple of things popped out at me during their latest video sailing to Palawan.

1) Visibility from the helms is absolute crap, just a narrow slice along the deck (barely above deck level) and bounded by the cabin. You can’t see the front beam, the forestay furler, or anything to do with an anchor or mooring buoy, let alone in front of the boat or the other bow. The helm doesn’t rotate high enough to use it when standing on the deck, which is necessary to see over the cabin roof and down to the water at and between the bows. I just don’t get how a reasonably cleverly designed boat could get something so fundamental to cruising the boat so wrong.

2) There doesnt seem to be much bridgedeck clearance vertically but in particular width wise because of the hull tapers. In any sort of seas that tunnel is going to get congested with waves, with commensurate impacts, noise and drag - lots of water comes in between the bows, then gets constricted at the front beam. I understand that they want nice hip and shoulder room in the hulls, but that’s another design choice that is not helpful to sailing characteristics.

It will be interesting to see how the Wynns deal with those issues, particularly the first.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote