Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2023, 02:58   #16

Re: HH 44 hull #1 Sea Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
I wish all builders would undertake this process with sincere pride and professionalism.
So which builders do you feel didn't have a full professional crew working with sincere pride and professionalism on sea trials for hull #1 of a performance oriented catamaran?

I'm sure more performance numbers will come out and hitting high speeds wasn't their objective because if it was, it would be massively disappointing.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post

The re-gen is through the props so no folding props there - I'd guess that drag to be worth about 1 knot max from figures on other Hybrid Marine boats I've been on
Re-gen and folding props does not exclude each other.

Just my 5 cts. Or 2 cts? I don't know it anymore :-)

Cheers
Dirk
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:30   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk01 View Post
Re-gen and folding props does not exclude each other.

Just my 5 cts. Or 2 cts? I don't know it anymore :-)

Cheers
Dirk
They didn't for us during testing. Couldn't get the folding props to hold open longer than a minute... this was with Gori, Felxofold and Varifold during testing. The issues was when the boat would decelerate from waves and the pressure would reduce on the blades enough to allow them to flop.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:54   #19

Boat: Max Cruise Marine, Twin Hybrid Electric, 44SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
So which builders do you feel didn't have a full professional crew working with sincere pride and professionalism
I can only speak from personal experience. All builders on all boat commissions should be undertaken as was shown in that video. That was what was impressive. Your comment regarding disappointing boat speed is the reason why I qualified my statement, but that is sometimes easy to miss.
P-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 18:03   #20

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

I watch the Wynns regularly. Met them once. Feel that what you see on their channel is who they are. They are one of the very few sailing channels we follow.

I watched that sea trial video and was very excited and happy for them. It wasn’t until I came across this thread that I started to think about the boat’s performance.

Nice but not great, especially considering that boat was light and the relatively flat sea state. We splashed yesterday after 3 months; fully loaded and kitted out for cruising we made better speed without trying.

It feel like a lot HH buyers are going to be disappointed. :-(
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 06:47   #21

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
They didn't for us during testing. Couldn't get the folding props to hold open longer than a minute... this was with Gori, Felxofold and Varifold during testing. The issues was when the boat would decelerate from waves and the pressure would reduce on the blades enough to allow them to flop.
Yes that happens with electric motor controllers that do not keep the prop(s) spinning while in regeneration mode, at the minimum rpm to keep them open. Oceanvolt being an exception.

The prop type is not the issue, the lack of sophistication of the motor controller is the issue.

OV motor controllers monitor the watts it takes to keep the folding blades open in regen, and you tweak the throttle when starting regeneration to see when regeneration watts is more than propulsion watts.

That was the problem with the early Servoprops, where the motor controller software was adjusting the prop rpm too often due to seastate fluctuations, as Cornell and other users found out.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 10:37   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Yes that happens with electric motor controllers that do not keep the prop(s) spinning while in regeneration mode, at the minimum rpm to keep them open. Oceanvolt being an exception.

The prop type is not the issue, the lack of sophistication of the motor controller is the issue.

OV motor controllers monitor the watts it takes to keep the folding blades open in regen, and you tweak the throttle when starting regeneration to see when regeneration watts is more than propulsion watts.

That was the problem with the early Servoprops, where the motor controller software was adjusting the prop rpm too often due to seastate fluctuations, as Cornell and other users found out.

Correct. But this is about the HH, which uses the same system we use and the Gori is not the right choice
Old 27-11-2023, 14:26   #23

!

I think the footage was shot by Jason Wynn. He's probably in the top five camera husbands among the sailing channels. Not to mention being the best known HH44 owner
Last I heard HH had 17 HH44's on order. The boats are masterpieces. Quality, materials, customization, HH management are all the best. Somebody mentioned that the hulls were too full, damn, the boat was designed by Morelli & Melvin ! The pedigree is there.
I'm a retired yacht broker and I've seen manufacturers just leave people without help.
So far there haven't been any stories that became public that I know of and I follow them closely.
Stephen2258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 05:45   #24

Boat: Mumby 48

I think the speeds seen in the video are about right for the length and displacement of the boat. No surprises there. It's simply not light enough to be a serious performance cat......however it's going to be well faster than most of the same size, very well built, very well equiped and very comfortable.

I suspect that most buyers of this boat wouldn't be willing to make the sacrifices on fit out required to bring the weight further down and the performance up.

catarch: I wouldn't be disappointed. She'll be a great boat.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 04:08   #25

Boat: 2017 Bali 4.0

Ok, I just watched the Wynns do their shake out cruise and it was really disappointing. 150* awa, 18kts AWS, and she was doing 8.2knts. Even with the regen off, it wasn't any better. Also, they never showed the data going up wind. All that hype... and an older leopard can perform just as well. take a look, let me know your thoughts?
HUFFnPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 05:35   #26

The first thing is, it's a shake down sail. It takes time to learn how to get the best out of a boat.

Second, it really depends on what your expectations are. If you ignored the unrealistic hype and looked at the numbers, it's performing exactly as you'd expect. It's the same with the smaller balance cats. If you're going to cram all of the mod cons into a smaller cat, it's going to be a bit heavy. If you want to go faster, you need to make sacrifices.

I'm actually quite positive about it. It's going to sail faster, handle better and have a much higher quality built than all of the main steam french stuff. By a large margin. It all looked really good to me. It's one the better thought out new designs.

Can an older simpler cat be faster? Sure. But no one is cross shopping a HH44 with an old production cat.
Old 22-01-2024, 09:41   #27

Boat: 2017 Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
The first thing is, it's a shake down sail. It takes time to learn how to get the best out of a boat.

Second, it really depends on what your expectations are. If you ignored the unrealistic hype and looked at the numbers, it's performing exactly as you'd expect. It's the same with the smaller balance cats. If you're going to cram all of the mod cons into a smaller cat, it's going to be a bit heavy. If you want to go faster, you need to make sacrifices.

I'm actually quite positive about it. It's going to sail faster, handle better and have a much higher quality built than all of the main steam french stuff. By a large margin. It all looked really good to me. It's one the better thought out new designs.

Can an older simpler cat be faster? Sure. But no one is cross shopping a HH44 with an old production cat.
That is my point... with all the hype, I thought this boat was going to scream. So far, its just ok.
HUFFnPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 10:41   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I guess I’m curious how this would compare performance wise to a Lagoon/Nautitech/FP. If it’s similar, you get some more living space with the later which makes them compelling to consider.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 11:11   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFFnPUFF View Post
That is my point... with all the hype, I thought this boat was going to scream. So far, its just ok.
Who actually said it was going to be so fast? Did people just assume it would be as fast as the big HHs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I guess I’m curious how this would compare performance wise to a Lagoon/Nautitech/FP. If it’s similar, you get some more living space with the later which makes them compelling to consider.
Dude, the lagoon and FP will be a no contest. It will sh*t all over those boats. Upwind, downwind, light wind, heavy wind, pointing ability, sailing manners.

The Lagoon and FP are ~50% heavier. The Nautitech is 15% heavier, less water line, fat hulls, lots of weight in the nose and has 10% less sail area. The HH will out handle it everywhere. The Nautitech will likely offer better bang for your buck.

It might be a while before we see it, but I fully expect that if they're game to push that boat, it'll push past its hull speed and do mid to high teens on the right point of sail (flat water, not surfing). The production cats just aren't doing that.
Old 23-01-2024, 00:53   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
Who actually said it was going to be so fast? Did people just assume it would be as fast as the big HHs?

Dude, the lagoon and FP will be a no contest. It will sh*t all over those boats. Upwind, downwind, light wind, heavy wind, pointing ability, sailing manners.

The Lagoon and FP are ~50% heavier. The Nautitech is 15% heavier, less water line, fat hulls, lots of weight in the nose and has 10% less sail area. The HH will out handle it everywhere. The Nautitech will likely offer better bang for your buck.

It might be a while before we see it, but I fully expect that if they're game to push that boat, it'll push past its hull speed and do mid to high teens on the right point of sail (flat water, not surfing). The production cats just aren't doing that.
Just doesn’t seem like the actual numbers are matching to this though and seemed more production based. Seems like a Nautitech may be a good middle ground between a performance HH/Outremer but having more liveable space.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull