Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 08:21   #16

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Hilton Head to NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscottinnc View Post
If your planning on a winter jaunt up the ICW, 10 hours per day is all the daylight you will have, you will want an enclosed cockpit, gloves that will dry out over night, same with weather gear">foul weather gear, I ran 2 chart plotters one zoomed in and one showing overall route. That way you can located your anchorage or marina when it get to around 3 30. To prepare go sit in a park and stare at a leafless tree for 5 hours just to get the hang of it. It was the most boring 2 1/2 weeks I’ve ever spent.
I can agree with the enclosed cockpit.

We left CT for FL on the Tuesday before Christmas a few years ago with out boat. It’s a boat for southern waters. It has no dodger, no enclosure and only a bimini.

We dressed warm.

I would do it again but not on purpose!
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:18   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Hilton Head to NYC

One advantage of traveling during the off season is that marina offices are usually closed by the time you pull in, so you will often not be charge for tying up, assuming you leave early. One disadvantage of off season traveling is that marina offices are usually closed by the time you pull in, so you may not be able to get services.

The only thing a marina has to sell, really, is space. Why would you plan on depriving them of that by coming in late and leaving early, unless you got the ok from them, first?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, nyc