Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 08:39   #1

Hilton Head to NYC

Im looking to purchase a 29' One-off Catamaran in Hilton Head and bring it to NY. Powered by twin 9.9 Yamahas the boat averages 5-6 knots under power and 6-8 knot average under sail. How long should this passage take ICW and outside when applicable. Yes there are 1 million other variables just want to figure some realistic figures. If I decide to hire a captain for delivery how long would that take as well, them being more experienced in the passage. I have coastal cruised the North East but never anything to this magnitude. Thanks.
TDP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:49   #2

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Hilton Head to NYC

Just to throw numbers out, ten days to two weeks.

That’s about what I’d expect.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:15   #3

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran

Just did Hilton head to Chesapeake. but we stopped a lot. And I think Jason is right on the time. The wind usually flows from the north so ICW is usually the way to go unless you go out a long ways. The coast is choppy and winds seem to always die out. You only get a day or two of winds proper for sailing North. I single hand a 38 ft cat and nights were brutal a lot of traffic so no sleep.
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:24   #4

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Last time we did it took about two weeks, no big hurry, daylight, ICW only. Offshore will let you avoid the North Carolina bridges with their hourly openings, but the season says it may be less than wonderful going offshore to avoid those bridges. Lotsa good anchorages in between. Check your bridge clearances in Jersey- you may or may not be able to clear bridges and avoid offshore there, which may not be an option. That could be the most uncomfortable part of the trip.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDP1 View Post
Im looking to purchase a 29' One-off Catamaran in Hilton Head and bring it to NY. Powered by twin 9.9 Yamahas the boat averages 5-6 knots under power and 6-8 knot average under sail. How long should this passage take ICW and outside when applicable. Yes there are 1 million other variables just want to figure some realistic figures. If I decide to hire a captain for delivery how long would that take as well, them being more experienced in the passage. I have coastal cruised the North East but never anything to this magnitude. Thanks.
As a delivery a ‘Capt’, my estimate would be to assume a VMG of 5kts. With a 29’ boat going outside of Hatteras would require an INCREDIBLE weather window. Even then I might stay inside, especially with a one-off boat versus a boat I knew.

Complicating things is that the boat is only 29’. Depending on layout, having a 3-person team aboard could get extremely ‘cozy’. I would likely do it with one crew member.

So we take the 5 kts, and convert that to MPH. 5kts is 5.75 mph. Apply that to the number of ICW miles, divided by average hours of sunlight minus 1(time to find a dock or anchorage) and you have a pretty good idea of time to Norfolk. Note, I am assuming the boat stops each night. I do NOT run the ICW at night. Way too many ways to have an issue.

From Norfolk to NYC, it depends. If you have 3 onboard, it is non-stop to New Jersey where we wait for a weather window.

If there are two aboard, we run 48 hours and rest for 10.

If you would like to discuss this further, please email me or check my website. A link appears in my profile.

Al that said—- a 29’ cat would likely fit on an OTR trailer, and not be oversize.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:00   #6

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Just to repeat what Snore said, you do not want to run the ICW at night - two words: Crab Traps. And associated floats. I've never personally had one wrapped around my prop, but my buddy has. Makes for a real problem, especially this time of year when the water is cold. And there are tons of crab traps between Hilton Head and Beaufort, NC.

Also, if you want to stop at marinas you'll have to plan that out carefully so that you arrive in daylight. If you are anchoring, it's not as bad, though there are sections of the ICW where it is tough to find a spot.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:28   #7

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

What time of the year are you thinking about, and where in New York are you going? At this time of the year you will have a lot less daylight, so you will have much shorter legs if you are on the ICW. If you are going up the Hudson or to the north shore on Long Island, you will have to add a few days.

One advantage of traveling during the off season is that marina offices are usually closed by the time you pull in, so you will often not be charge for tying up, assuming you leave early. One disadvantage of off season traveling is that marina offices are usually closed by the time you pull in, so you may not be able to get services.

If you are traveling early in the spring, it can be a cold trip as the water will still be very cold. I have done the trip on the inside and outside, and early, during, and late in the season. I love it all, but there are differences.

Good luck with your trip.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:29   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Made the trip a few times. Inside figure max 50-60 miles per day. You will have to go outside past Norfolk though you can make a long detour up the Chesapeake, through the D&D canal and back down Delaware Bay.

So if you watch the weather easy to do a couple of overnights, Norfolk to Delaware Bay. DE to NY harbor.

I can usually do the trip in two weeks by this method.

Agree running the ICW at night is not advised. Have done it some but it's a lot of work.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 14:59   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

You will have to go outside past Norfolk though you can make a long detour up the Chesapeake, through the D&D canal and back down Delaware Bay.

That would be the C&D canal Chesapeake and Delaware vs the Dungeons and Dragons game some fields play.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 16:05   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
That would be the C&D canal Chesapeake and Delaware vs the Dungeons and Dragons game some fields play.
Since I've never gone that way it's the unknown to me so on my charts there's notation that says, "Here be dragons."
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:34   #11

Thanks everyone all good advice. Boat has 2 queen berths and a single. Open bridge deck design with an enclosed bimini and vinyl windows. Ill probably end up hiring a capt. Dont think I can take off the full two weeks for the trip or possibly hire someone to do the first 3/4 of the trip and sail from somewhere near Delaware. I have to purchase the boat first. Trying to sell the layout to my wife (the Admiral).
Old 07-12-2020, 15:03   #12

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

It took me 1 month, from April 6th to May 6th this year.
Considering sailing only during day time, 5 days of rest along the trip.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 16:26   #13

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Correction:

It took me 1 month, from April 6th to May 4th this year.

Considering sailing only during day time, 9 days of rest, reprovision along the trip, or because not suitable weather.

992 NM on my log book.

Been sailing along the ICW, Dismal Swamp Canal, Chesapeake, Delaware and then up to NY City. anchoring almost every night. Did not went into Marina beside Annaoplis.

Apr 6th: Hilton Head to South Edisto River
Apr 7th: Charleston
Apr 8th: Georgetown (off shore)
Apr 9th: Myrtle Beach
Apr 10th: SouthPort
Apr 11th: Carolina Beach (2 days off, bad weather)
Apr 14th: Mile Hamock
Apr 15th: Swansboro
Apr 16th: Oriental (SC)
Apr 17th: Pungo River
Apr 18th: Aligator River South
Apr 19th: Elisabeth City (1 day off)
Apr 21th: Chesapeake (1 day off)
Apr 23th: Deltaville (1 day off)
Apr 25th: Solomon Island
Apr 26th: Annapolis (1 day off)
Apr 28th: Havre de Grace ( 2 days off)
May 1st: Chesapeake city
May 2st: Cap May
May 3st: Atlantic city (1 day off)
May 5st: Coney Island NY.

Could possibly shave a 2 or 3 days, but the Amiral already felt we were running pretty hard all the way.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:24   #14

Boat: Pearson 323

If your planning on a winter jaunt up the ICW, 10 hours per day is all the daylight you will have, you will want an enclosed cockpit, gloves that will dry out over night, same with foul weather gear, I ran 2 chart plotters one zoomed in and one showing overall route. That way you can located your anchorage or marina when it get to around 3 30. To prepare go sit in a park and stare at a leafless tree for 5 hours just to get the hang of it. It was the most boring 2 1/2 weeks I’ve ever spent.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:40   #15

Thanks Again. I certainly am not looking to do a winter trip, that's for sure. I would be paying marina fees in Hilton Head until spring April/may for the trip north. The cockpit can be completely enclosed as well.

Tags
head, nyc