Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 09:36   #1

Holding Tanks

Boat I charter has an 11 gal holding tank. If you have crew of 3 or 4 that fills quickly. Any suggestions for managing or installing larger tank? What is a "normal" holding tank capacity as 11 gal seems small? Not my boat but if there are good alternatives I could share with charter company.
AndyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:38   #2

Re: Holding Tanks

Unless the holding tank is leaking, I seriously doubt it's going to get replaced by client suggestion.

The size of the vessel or number of berths typically dictate holding tank size.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Unless the holding tank is leaking, I seriously doubt it's going to get replaced by client suggestion.

The size of the vessel or number of berths typically dictate holding tank size.
Thx for ur reply.

Can't argue that.

36' boat with 3 berths. So should be sized for up to 6? Never noticed size of tanks on other charters before because never had them fill so quickly. 11 gals a normal size?

Not a huge issue as I can just take a different boat but want to learn if I every decide to purchase.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:07   #4

11 gallons is small for a boat manufactured in a area where discharge is restricted. If discharge is not heavily restricted, then it's not a huge deal.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 18:45   #5

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Mine has a 50 gallon tank, 3 people on board it lasts a week but not two weeks

Sent from my D6653 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:54   #6

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' NERISSA

The cat I chartered in BVI had heads go straight overboard, I believe the whole country basically goes straight to the ocean, so why hold it on a boat?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
The cat I chartered in BVI had heads go straight overboard, I believe the whole country basically goes straight to the ocean, so why hold it on a boat?
It's illegal in the US. Must be 3 miles offshore. Can't believe it's not illegal in BVI with all the chartering there. Locals must not like that. I wouldn't.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:14   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

People, please lets not use language that is not necessary, we can call it a holding tank, we do not have to call it by what it holds.
We strive to be a family friendly site, using non family friendly words adds nothing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:19   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBerry View Post
Boat I charter has an 11 gal holding tank. If you have crew of 3 or 4 that fills quickly. Any suggestions for managing or installing larger tank? What is a "normal" holding tank capacity as 11 gal seems small? Not my boat but if there are good alternatives I could share with charter company.
Nobody can tell you on the Internet how you can install a larger holding tank. That would be specific to the boat.

Managing the tank? Well, you could ask males to pee overboard. You could not allow beer on board. You could empty it overboard where this is legal.

If you are chartering a boat with a holding tank that doesn't meet your needs, try chartering a different boat.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Nobody can tell you on the Internet how you can install a larger holding tank. That would be specific to the boat.

Managing the tank? Well, you could ask males to pee overboard. You could not allow beer on board. You could empty it overboard where this is legal.

If you are chartering a boat with a holding tank that doesn't meet your needs, try chartering a different boat.
Yea, you are right and all that has been done (except not allowing beer on board) Just wanted to see if there was anything I was missing. Also wonder why a company would put that small a holding tank in any boat. Seems like common sense says there should be a minimum of maybe 20 gallons or so.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:34   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Unlikely the charter company put the tank there, more likely the boat manufacturer did.
I believe some boats that are marketed primarily in parts of the world that direct discharge, the tank is a very low priority, and for the US market, they have one cause you have to.
11 gls would not get us through a weekend
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 13:25   #12

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
People, please lets not use language that is not necessary, we can call it a holding tank, we do not have to call it by what it holds.
We strive to be a family friendly site, using non family friendly words adds nothing.
Sorry mate, didnt mean to offend, lack of sense of humour on my side. Im interested in this thread and what size holding tanks are in the boats around the world. I go to Tangalooma just out from Brisbane a fair bit, and on busy days hate all the effluent that is pumped into the pristine water from other boats.

Sent from my SM-T315T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 15:52   #13

Boat: Freedom 38

My boat has a 12-gallon tank. I agree, it is too small. The only thing that can be done to fix it (short of direct discharge) would be to find a place to plumb in a larger tank. If not that, then can you use it manually where you control the amount of water that goes in after the flushes? There's no need to flush water down each time someone urinates, just pump it dry and then flush it with clean water at the end of the day. With judicious rationing of the flush water, you might be able to go 3-4 days with four people.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 17:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
My boat has a 12-gallon tank. I agree, it is too small. The only thing that can be done to fix it (short of direct discharge) would be to find a place to plumb in a larger tank. If not that, then can you use it manually where you control the amount of water that goes in after the flushes? There's no need to flush water down each time someone urinates, just pump it dry and then flush it with clean water at the end of the day. With judicious rationing of the flush water, you might be able to go 3-4 days with four people.
Sound advice. Got caught by surprise with the size of the tank and it was too late to plan. Will be using your suggestion if take that boat again.
Old 14-09-2016, 23:23   #15

Okay, not a ton of information here. I would definitely go the discharge route vs plumbing larger *if available. My question is my boat is a 34' live aboard. My tank (11 gal also) fills about once a month....I get it pumped out pretty easy at the marina. But it does start to smell when 45% or so filled....especially when under sail getting sloshed around. Any solutions? I use the West Marine holding tank stuff...but seems zero effect. I wish I could just pump direct out, but it's set for US rules to only hold. I don't even see a line for manual discharge when well off shore.
Hunter34StPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, tanks