Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2020, 16:58   #1

Holes underneath bridgedeck

I have recently viewed a catamaran my husband and I are thinking about purchasing. There are two purposely made holes underneath the bridgedeck. The broker said this is normal and could be grey water discharge or a spot where the generator would go. I've attached the photo which isn't great quality, but wanted to get an opinion from the community. I've never seen holes underneath the bridgedeck of a catamaran before. Any ideas of what they could be? Is it a problem if the holes aren't covered. I know this sounds like a dumb question, I'm a newbie here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03035.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	219529  
Kris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 17:00   #2

Re: Holes underneath bridgedeck

BTW, the holes are covered by plywood while the boat is on the hard. I didn't want to pry the plywood off.
Old 17-07-2020, 17:50   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Plenty of cats have holes in the bridge deck usually for drainage from galley, cockpit drains, propane locker drain, anchor locker drains etc they sometimes have a clam shell type vent cover. The holes in the photos do not look like that, they look more like weight saving measure, but I don't get the cover with plywood unless to keep critters out when on the hard - a full photo of the underside may reveal more clues, what brand / model boat and what is it constructed of, photo of boat would help too.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 18:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Is that into the anchor chain well or gas locker for drainage?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 18:13   #5

What's on the inside there? How big are they?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 18:39   #6

It's a 2017 FP Lucia 40. The holes seem to be mid bridge and I can't tell exactly where they are underneath. I would say it's not the anchor locker area. The holes are big enough for me to easily put a hand through if I had access. Again apologize for the poor photo.
Old 17-07-2020, 19:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris V View Post
It's a 2017 FP Lucia 40. The holes seem to be mid bridge and I can't tell exactly where they are underneath. I would say it's not the anchor locker area. The holes are big enough for me to easily put a hand through if I had access. Again apologize for the poor photo.

It’s probably drainage from the cockpit grate (where the cockpit doors and salon meet. (Under the teak grate).
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 19:18   #8

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:

Nice open feeling boat! Most likely drain for the anchor locker. If you still have aces, it should be easy to spot but may have to move lost of things around. I would not worry too much about it
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 03:36   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

These aren’t any cause for concern. As long as the core is sealed off and the interior inside the boat can handle a splash from these, you’re all set.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 03:43   #10

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

The first thing I’d do would be to ask on https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f136/ and select Lucia 40 and if you use Facebook, join the owner’s group and ask; lots of expert owners to be found.

The next thing I’d do is look for a broker who knows these boats well; ask the forums. Do that, find out the truth, and then test it. Is he says it’s a drain for “xxxxxxxxx,” then get a hose, fill that area and go check to verify.

After several brokers, I’ve learned lots of lessons - some good, some not. Do NOT assume everything you’re told is the truth, test every piece of equipment and make certain you do not buy anything unless you know how to operate everything. After all, you’re paying for it, not the broker.

Good luck!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 04:31   #11

Great advice! Thank you!
Old 18-07-2020, 05:14   #12

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Great advice! Thank you!
Hope it helps; these forums have been a blessing for many. After 5 boats I’d have thought I’d learned those lessons, but here I am again with a new to us boat not having paid enough attention to my own advice! 🤪

Take your time; no matter what anybody says, there are always other boats...

Have fun,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 03:18   #13

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

As Tin Tin said, lots of reasons for holes in the bottom of the bridge deck. I'd be worried if there weren't any. Our Catana 48 had 2 draining the cockpit well near the door, one in each of 2 cockpit floor lockers, 1 in the propane locker, and one in each of the 4 forward deck lockers, plus one for the drain from the sink in the galley. Most had clamshell covers to reduce the amount of water that could get forced back up through them if a wave slapped underneath.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck