Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 15:23   #1

Boat: Coronado 25
Homebuilt Catamaran Insurance in 2015 - Possible ?

After a LOT of Googling, blog reading and other searching I still haven't found a source for homebuilt catamaran insurance, so posting this here...

We are looking at possibly building a 12m cat - over two years I have narrowed the search down to two well known designers - priced builds, etc... So far so good...

The question I cannot find a clear answer for is; who currently insures homebuilt cats in US waters ? During construction, and after launch.

I know there are lots of variables on insurance - just obtaining ANY coverage seems to be more the issue than the coverage details at the moment....

Assumptions:

Private - no USCG cert. needed, but build will be documented and surveyed during / after construction - seems to be a requirement for coverage. Would building it to USCG criteria make it much easier to insure?

Materials - ply/epoxy or foam/glass - I have seen written blog comments that foam/glass is easier to insure than wood - but nothing in writing yet from any insurance company - anyone have a source or definitive answer on this comment?

Coverage afloat - assume third party/liability only for marina needs - anything else will be a bonus - I'd like to have add'l inurance, but I would have to be marina complaint at a minimum.

Coverage area - US/Bahamas initially - further 5+ years from now?

I know there must be homebuilt cat owners who have solved this - somehow? -

after many calls to insurance companies I'm getting more disheartened than encouraged on this part of the self build concept - Might even be a self-build deal killer

This has recently become way more of an issue since almost all? marinas now require third party insurance at a minimum - from what I see.

Appreciate if this thread could stay on track - I didn't post this because of the AeroRig Wharram that broke up No - I'm not looking at building a Wharram -

If you have obtained insurance for a homebuilt cat sailing in US or other waters I'd appreciate your thoughts/input - or just the contact info for your insurance company so I could investigate coverage through them...

Thanks! Rusty
theelkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 22:57   #2

Re: Homebuilt Catamaran Insurance in 2015 - Possible ?

Doesn't seem to be any problem here in Aus. You can insure the boat while it's being built (Builder's risk insurance) with a few companies, and with a survey, can insure the boat when completed.

We've been offered insurance by Club Marine, by Pantaenius, were originally insured with Nautilus, and are currently insured with QBE.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:23   #3

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran

Try Trident insurance they insured my home built one off design built in ply &epoxy no problem as long as the boat is surveyed good luck cheers Andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 17:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Rusty,
Home built cats are very insurable. Fiberglass is preferred, but wood is acceptable. (Ferro would be difficult, except for US waters). Most Wharram cats are wood, and we insure quite a number of them both in the USA and throughout the world. The real question is whether you are insurable? For an underwriter to quote coverage, they will look at both the boat and your experience when making the decision whether to offer a quote.
Old 06-01-2015, 18:01   #5

Boat: 1994 39 Privilege

Call. BC yacht Insurancce. 250-656-2668 talk to Vera she is great. Even tho they are a Canadian company they do us policies.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amphibious1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, insurance