Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2007, 14:53   #1

How about a short list $200-300K

Although I have greatly enjoyed the under $200k and the "what boat would you choose" posts, I believe 40 ft + is where a lot of us will be (especially with families full time cruising). Our last boat was a 36' aluminum cutter with just the two of us - now add 16 and 9 y.o boys and you need room!

Anyone like to start another thread on boats you like and why at this price range?

Until I sell my horse farm business, I can't buy, but thanks to the internet I sure can learn!

The boats I seem to be attracted to are few and hard to find - St Francis 44, Lagoon 42, Island Spirit 41, Admiral...

I find these in the asking range of $235 - $280 or so which means they should sell for a bit less - but then you will add back in to personalize/upgrade etc.

Got to do this under $250!
coachmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 16:04   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Coach - how many cats have you sailed? Did you pick those specific boats (in your post) because you have sailed them? Have you done any bareboat charters on cats? How many have you examined at boat shows (although I assume you are looking for a used boat)? In other words, how much do you really know about the ones you think you like?

I can tell you the ones in that range that I think you ought to look for. Other folks can do the same thing. But we are not you and woe be to anyone else who thinks they know what you ought to like.

I suggest you get on as many cats of differing makes that you can. In parallel, browse Yachtworld.com and start getting a feel for what's out there in your price range. Grind down to a handful of acceptable boats and then get ready to pounce.

JMHO

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 16:27   #3

Gettin Opinions

[quote=2Hulls;105908]Coach - how many cats have you sailed?

Ummm. None.

I am still horse farming. Does that count?

Other than racing hobies nationally a long time ago my experience has been all in monohulls - like living on a 36' cutter for 7 years.

I guess I am trying to get others thoughts (some good ones here) and compile a short list. I really do not want to look at every boat in the size and price range.

Trying to get to Ft Lauderdale fr the show and to the 2hulls dock next week...

Miami
coachmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 20:15   #4

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Privilege?

I'll ask the same thing here as I did on the <200K thread. There are a number of 40-50' Privilege and Lagoons from the early 90's. Even a Lagoon 47 for < 300.

It seems that a slightly older but more solidly constructed boat might require a bit more on the front end refit, but will hopefully be better designed and have less recurring problems than a newer but more cheaply designed/built boat. Maybe the analogy doesn't hold, but the fishing guys I know all go for Hatteras and Bertram's from the 80's rather than the newer el cheapo production boats.

Maybe it's a case of a first love, but my first cat charter in the early 90's was a P39, so I have a soft spot for that boat. The FP Tabago 35 and Bahia 46 were disappointing. The FP 35 was near new and already had rust coming out of many of the fittings. Later in '02 the Bahia 46 we had had a lot small details that were annoying and we ended up doing a lot of minor repairs during our charter that were just bad design. Latches, drain hose Ts, etc. I asked the the Sunsail base manager in French Polynesia about the FPs and he basically said the FP was mass produced to be cheap for the charter trade and longevity was sacrificed relative to boats like the Privilege. Maybe things are different now, but as I'm looking at older boats, I'm dubious about the FP.

Does anyone have any comments on early 90's Privileges vs Lagoons vs ?
I'm having a hard time finding details on what years the P42/43/47/48 were built and what the standard configurations where.

I don't really know the Island Spirit, Admiral, etc. What am I missing?

I've charted a couple Aussie boats in the Whitesunday's but didn't really care for them. The Tasman 4000 was ok, but didn't care for the cockpit where I tend to spend a lot of time.

The helm position is a relative non-issue for me. I actually prefer the outboard position, but as Dave from maxingout wrote, the autopilot does the driving 99% of the time.

I'd also be curious of anyone done any reconfiguring of the layouts. For live-aboard or seasonal cruising I'm not a fan of the micro-heads and would like a bigger shower. I'd also like a small office/nook with desk and seat/bench for reading. I'm toying with the idea of putting aside some of my budget for some customization rather than going newer or bigger to get what I want.

Ok, enough rambling. Thanks for the feedback.

Mark
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 22:16   #5

Mark 424
"I'm having a hard time finding details on what years the P42/43/47/48 were built and what the standard configurations where. "

Go to the "Boatguide" at Guide to multihulls, catamaran, trimaram and proa models; the designers and boat yards; easy-to-browse and objective information on multihull craft . They provide this information for most production cats, including Privilege.
Onedaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 22:18   #6

My last post didn't copy correctly. The website for the Boatguide is at Guide to multihulls, catamaran, trimaram and proa models; the designers and boat yards; easy-to-browse and objective information on multihull craft
Old 07-11-2007, 22:20   #7

OK, perhaps an administrator can sort this problem out !! I am trying to write the web address for multihull-maven.
Old 08-11-2007, 20:10   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onedaysoon View Post
OK, perhaps an administrator can sort this problem out !! I am trying to write the web address for multihull-maven.
It is right.

The words in the address do not mean anything. It is what the properties are.

Guide to multihulls, catamaran, trimaram and proa models; the designers and boat yards; easy-to-browse and objective information on multihull craft is the properties of what you posted.

Right click what you put in and choose properties and you will see the true address.

This is one of the ways people get you to go to sites you don't want to. They name it something else. Sometimes they say click HERE and that is a link.

I forget how to do it or I would make a link at the above HERE.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:35   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Onedaysoon: Your original link works for me.

Multihull Maven: multihull-maven.com

Guide to multihulls, catamaran, trimaram and proa models; the designers and boat yards; easy-to-browse and objective information on multihull craft

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote