Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 16:53   #61

Re: How do you do it... (no AC)

Is the Hudson really that nasty where you are? Cos swimming/lounging in the water is great on a hot day. We swim occasionally in L Ontario with no ill effect. The water is tested regularly and they make announcements if the bacteria are up.

Other tips I agree with - tarping, wind scoops, spicy food, fans.

We really like wearing shirts made of one of the technical fabrics that runners wear as opposed to the plain ole cotton tee; they really are better at staying cool, in the slightest breeze.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 17:42   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
I have always known that rigging sun shades/tarps over the deck will reduce cabin temperature, but I didn't get around to doing it until this summer. What a huge difference. I rigged silver/grey poly tarps over most of the foredeck, the entire top of the cabin, and half of the cockpit. There is about a two foot gap between the deck and the tarp, allowing air to flow through. I don't have any hard numbers, but the decrease in air temperature in the cabin is incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I don't have anything nice to say to you guys who are suggesting that I shove ice up my butt.
Hmmm...an ice enema. I wonder what the benefits of that could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
as i type this i am sitting on my yacht, waiting for clouds to move in.
its 82 outside, and 82 inside. i have fans blowing on me, and i am sweating.
also should mention i am 300#.
how do you deal with this humid heat with no AC?
the parts i need for mine will arrive tomorrow.
it will be switched on, and not turned off until we leave the dock.
i cant even work inside. its so hot.
lucky for me we have two AC units.
both will be repaired.
a 6K unit for when underway, and a 16K for when docked.
i have no idea how you can live without AC when it is blistering outside.
is it my Russian genes?
So scoopert. I wonder how you like those teak decks now! When the sun beats down on them, it transfers a lot of heat inside the boat. Like Tritons post above states, a white tarp (painters drop cloth) might be the best bet. Also...get one of those large square fans from Home Depot and place it over the forward hatch. As you know and as others have politely mentioned, your weight has some contributing factors involved with how you are feeling. Look at it this way...as you re-do the boat...re-do yourself at the same time. there are lots of good programs out there. A few of my friends have had great success losing unwanted weight. Just do it a pound at a time and enjoy your boat project. Lastly, you can acclimate to the heat. I have been to Thailand many times. A few time in April when the humidity is 90% and temperatures are in the 100s. You just sweat and get use to it. As i type this it is 82 here in my boat and I have dressed accordingly...you don't want to know!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 17:58   #63

Boat: Cal 2-27

In the military, when we went to desert or cold, they told us to expect about two weeks to acclimate. You'll get used to it.

Go run a mile....its hard......do it everyday for a month and it will be easy......

Replace the word run in the example above..with "be in the heat"...we get so used to the ac our bodies become "untrained"

Acclimate
Old 27-06-2013, 18:05   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
82 degrees ? Thats down right cool. lol. Sorry thats not helpful. Your body will adjust over time to the higher temps. I find my diet affects how I deal with heat. I'm building a steel boat here in Tennessee and its like an oven inside in the middle of the day. I function better if I drink lots of water and eat light foods. I stay away from fried greasy stuff in the heat of the day. I still get hot, but its more tollerable.
Yeah I'd kill for 82.

The heat down here in Baja, and it's not even the hottest time of the year yet, is insane. Touch any horizontal stainless on the boat and you'll get a second degree burn. Even the water gets over 90f. If it doesn't break 100f in the cabin I consider it a good day.

And air conditioners are nice but you're essentially chained to the dock. At that point just live in an apartment.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:07   #65

But to answer the question: it won't kill you. Just get used to it and try to work around it. I have some deck work that I want to do (or need to do, actually) but I wouldn't dream of trying it until October or so.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:10   #66

Boat: Catalina 30

I work in it every day here in Florida, 95F and 98% humidity.

You will get use to it, just stay hydrated and keep a fan going, swamp coolers and wet towels are nice also. Take a cold shower before bed and you just may make it through the night without sticking to the sheets.

Oh, and by hydrated I mean a few gallons a day and don't be afraid to be sweaty..
Old 27-06-2013, 18:18   #67
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

82 in your boat, that's what mine is when I run the ac wow your spoiled.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:23   #68

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Wouldn't be nice if you had a "convertible" sail boat, where the "top" would come down like a small power boat? Unfortunately, the rigging would be in the way.

Mauritz
Old 27-06-2013, 18:36   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Wouldn't be nice if you had a "convertible" sail boat, where the "top" would come down like a small power boat? Unfortunately, the rigging would be in the way.

Mauritz
Google the Catalina 25 pop top or Hunter 25 pop top and you can see a version that "kind of" has a convertible top..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:39   #70

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Misters work great when it isn't humid. In Palm Springs, for instance, they use misters around restaurant patios to keep them comfortable. Buttonwillow Raceway uses them too under their HUGE canopy. They're like sprinkler heads. Spaced about 4-6 feet apart. If you're in a marina you could probably just plumb a hose to a piece of PVC under the bimini or whatever you have with a couple of misters and it would keep the cockpit pretty nice in the shade.
Wow, that must be pretty new at Buttonwillow. I don't remember it last time I was on track there, maybe 6-7 years ago. A really nice improvement though. Miller Motorsports Park could benefit from that!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:45   #71

Hiya Tropical! Wow, the top lifts up! I have never seen one of those; very clever designs. Thanks for pointing them out!

Mauritz
Old 27-06-2013, 18:53   #72

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
It is 102F in central Texas, but the humidity is very low. Stop complaining and eat your dinner; Angus ribeye, baked potato, Cesar salad, ice cold lemonade and triple chocolate somethin'... sheesh!

Mauritz
I used to like you, Teknav.
Old 27-06-2013, 18:53   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the extremely hot desert temps are only one of the reasons why i never wanted to go to gulf of california for summer. is ridiculous there.
here in tropical mexico in summer the max temp until early august is 90. temp gets to 95 by august-sept.
humidity is high, yes,and it rains, yes--but it is soo much more comfortable than mazatlan or up into gulf of california, which gringos call sea of cortez.--

summer is repair season and good time for dock time--travels inland and other adventures--mayan ruins, native wonders not found in other places--all off boat time--must be able to leave boat in a safe place to go to these places.
winter is our sailing season. novthru may
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 19:01   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the extremely hot desert temps are only one of the reasons why i never wanted to go to gulf of california for summer. is ridiculous there.
here in tropical mexico in summer the max temp until early august is 90. temp gets to 95 by august-sept.
humidity is high, yes,and it rains, yes--but it is soo much more comfortable than mazatlan or up into gulf of california, which gringos call sea of cortez.--

summer is repair season and good time for dock time--travels inland and other adventures--mayan ruins, native wonders not found in other places--all off boat time--must be able to leave boat in a safe place to go to these places.
winter is our sailing season. novthru may
Hey Zee ,if you like those Mayan ruins you might like that movie Apocalipto(sp?) by Mel Gibson, if you havent seen it ..Theres one part where they show you how to cool off a hot head on all those steps of the ruins without an aircon..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 19:17   #75

Hi SWW! You know TX is the land of Angus beef. If you happen to be by Dallas/Ft Worth, let me know in advance. Dinner at my favorite steak house, Salt Grass; my treat. How's that for TX hospitality?

Mauritz