Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 20:48   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
How long sheet lines to the traveller

Hi all

The Targa roof line is too low and I have to crank my head to the side to stand behind the wheel. I'd like to raise the roof line about 100mm / 4".

The traveller runs on the roof and has about 30cm / 1' clearance to the boom when the main sheet is tight.

One option is to only lift the roof line above the wheel but that might look a bit ordinary. Thinking about a slide open hatch, so long as the boom doesn't fling across and decapitate me.

or

I could lift the whole roof line however the traveller is straight not curved so the rate of change in sheet length as the traveller moves becomes more of an issue as this distance decreases. I'm not sure if that is a big deal or not.

Are there any other issues I haven't considered or are any of the issues above a big problem?

Thanks
Dave
Old 12-10-2016, 05:38   #2

Boat: Fusion 40 catamaran
Re: How long sheet lines to the traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Hi all

The Targa roof line is too low and I have to crank my head to the side to stand behind the wheel. I'd like to raise the roof line about 100mm / 4".

The traveller runs on the roof and has about 30cm / 1' clearance to the boom when the main sheet is tight.

One option is to only lift the roof line above the wheel but that might look a bit ordinary. Thinking about a slide open hatch, so long as the boom doesn't fling across and decapitate me.

or

I could lift the whole roof line however the traveller is straight not curved so the rate of change in sheet length as the traveller moves becomes more of an issue as this distance decreases. I'm not sure if that is a big deal or not.

Are there any other issues I haven't considered or are any of the issues above a big problem?

Thanks
Dave
Slide open hatch mate. Easy peasy. Don't worry about the gybe as when head above hatch you are always concentrating on the boom and wind angles. Anyway if you do get clobbered it will only happen once!!!!!
flatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 13:49   #3

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: How long sheet lines to the traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatop View Post
Slide open hatch mate. Easy peasy. Don't worry about the gybe as when head above hatch you are always concentrating on the boom and wind angles. Anyway if you do get clobbered it will only happen once!!!!!
Does sound like the easiest solution, thanks