Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2019, 02:20   #91

Re: How many cats have flipped ?

Nice thing about an easily driven boat: you carry as much sail as you need, not as much as you can.

https://youtu.be/o4PoObnQrpc

Wind was 15-18 kts. We could have carried full main and jib with ease. Sailing conservatively I'd normally have a reef in. But I noticed the first reef line was getting a bit frayed, so tucked two reefs in. And still sailed the 55 miles in 5 hours.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:45   #92

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Nice thing about an easily driven boat: you carry as much sail as you need, not as much as you can.
^^^ Exactly.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:41   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Nice thing about an easily driven boat: you carry as much sail as you need, not as much as you can.. . .

Yes!! That is the very heart of the matter. And it is not specific to catamarans, even if it is easier to arrange easy-drivenness in boats without ballast. In monos, you need waterline length, fineness, and lightness to achieve this, and that was the key design value for Dashew's Sundeer hull form.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:05   #94

Yes, that is the same boat, Walter Greene Even Keel design, built by the Damien Mclaughlin Corp., RAIN, now at the Toronto Multihull Cruising Club.
Paul H.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:30   #95
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
Yes, that is the same boat, Walter Greene Even Keel design, built by the Damien Mclaughlin Corp., RAIN, now at the Toronto Multihull Cruising Club.
Paul H.
We looked at her when she was for sale. Really pretty cat and I bet she sails really well.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 14:41   #96

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:

https://youtu.be/o4PoObnQrpc

Wind was 15-18 kts. We could have carried full main and jib with ease. Sailing conservatively I'd normally have a reef in. But I noticed the first reef line was getting a bit frayed, so tucked two reefs in. And still sailed the 55 miles in 5 hours.
Saw what seemed to be the wind speed at 19.9, maybe AWS not TWS. But you could go faster if you were not trailing a fishing line off the boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 16:10   #97

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I don't think that statistic exists. My gut feeling is that catamarans capsize more often per cruising mile. I can't prove that though.

All one can really say is that at a 90 degree angle of inclination that a catamaran is unlikely to right itself but a monohull is likely to right itself as long as there was a minimal amount of water ingress into the cabin. Both types of vessels have very different righting moment curves. This would only apply to ocean swell that is not severe. Under severe conditions where you have swells rolling I would imagine the chance of rolling is about equal given the same angle of inclination into the swell.

I know this will stir up controversy but I think monohulls overall have a bit of an advantage in severe wind and ocean swell conditions.

On the other side of the debate, catamarans have a greater initial righting moment and less beam per hull providing a speed advantage allowing them to dodge low pressure areas more readily. If you have the ability to reduce the chance of getting into a bad situation in the first place then that is a distinct advantage.
I've bolded your text where you are incorrect. The force of buoyancy on a hull (or on two hulls as in a catamaran) on a given wave angle is at right angles to the water surface. The force of gravity can be split into two vectors - one vector at right angles to the water surface (directly opposing the buoyancy force) and the other vector parallel to the water surface. The latter vector will push the hull down the wave face and increases as the angle steepens (as the total gravity force must equal the total buoyancy force).

The angle of a catamaran on a wave does not materially affect overall stability as the sideways gravity vector causes the catamaran to skid down the wave (especially if the catamaran doesn't have mini keels). This also increases the buoyancy force on the leeward hull, increasing righting moment. Unlike a monohull, whose keel tends to trip it into a roll rather than skid.

Of course, in extreme conditions neither catamarans nor monohulls want to be sideways to the waves. Hence the use of parachute anchors and drogues to stay aligned with the predominant wave direction. Bummer about the rogue waves at off angles.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 21:03   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I've bolded your text where you are incorrect.
A little of it anyway.
Old 09-06-2019, 21:34   #99
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
An indication of how infrequently cruising cats capsize is in the thread about what it's like in an upturned cat. Nobody on this forum (of how many members?) could say.
That could be that those that have are no longer with us.

My debate and logic professor would call the a "fallacy of the major premise".
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 22:14   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
That could be that those that have are no longer with us.

My debate and logic professor would call the a "fallacy of the major premise".
And I would call that a load of crap.
Old 09-06-2019, 22:26   #101

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I do not think we have any statistics! So no answer to the question is possible.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:48   #102

Can someone explain this statement from page 5:

"you can take the tail, where the stripper takes the line out of the self tailing mechanism, and reverse the direction so that you can very quickly get it out of the self tailer, even from a distance."

I am having trouble picturing what is meant by this. (A photo would help)

Thank you
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 16:33   #103

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Actually cat's tip over far less frequently.

http://www.multihulldynamics.com/new...p?articleID=11

That’s a good read! Thanks.
Old 10-06-2019, 16:52   #104

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I know of three that have flipped. The first was a 40’ foot Wharram in Wellington Harbour. The guy had way to much sail up and when he left the lee of our yard the first few gusts just flipped him.
The second was a 40’ cat on the Wide Bay Bar, bad timing I believe and he got flipped crossing at night.
The third cat was a 32’ Fast Back, racing in Moreton bay. Flipped while pushing her to hard.
Cheers
I remember the 40' Cat, RAMTHA, in the Queen's Birthday Storm. Several boats had problems. And it appears the Catamaran's crew abandoned ship. Ramtha was found intact after the storm but the life-raft and crew were never found.
Even without a crew to guide her, the Cat came through the storm.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 17:14   #105
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

[QUOTE=KP44;2906197]I remember the 40' Cat, RAMTHA, in the Queen's Birthday Storm. Several boats had problems. And it appears the Catamaran's crew abandoned ship. Ramtha was found intact after the storm but the life-raft and crew were never found.

Even without a crew to guide her, the Cat came through the storm.[/
Ramtha’s crew got pulled of the cat by a ship and survived to sail Ramtha again.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote