Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2008, 21:39   #1

How to test if a tranducer works

Hi,
it's a long story but I had to cut out my transducer which was unfortunately located behind the little keel.
I patched up the hole with fibreglass and on layer of 1/8th marine grade plywood.

My first idea was to take the transducer inside the hull in a well over the patch. However I'm not sure how to test if this works while still hauled out.

My second idea is to put a new through hull before the keel and place the transducer there.

My big worry is - is this transducer still working at all - and is there a way to test this whilst still out of the water.

Simply would hate to drill a hole in my boat just to find out that the transcuder is not working any more.

Any comment's on my different ideas and my worry are highly welcome.

cheerio,
Olaf
sailingpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 01:12   #2

You could just try switching it on. I had a trailer boat once where if you switched the fishfinder on when the boat was on the trailer, it still gave an indication of the ground below. The transducer would probably need to be fairly close to the ground though, within 1/2 a metre, but it might work.

A reading would possibly prove that it does work, but no reading probably wouldn't conclusively prove it doesnt.

You could take your complete sonar, and a battery, to a swimming pool.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 03:41   #3

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I agree with cruisingcat. Sound travels at around 4 times the speed in water compared to air, but air has a much higher sonic impedance, and transducers for water use a different design between the piezo crystal and the plastic housing for impedance adjustment.

Safest is to try it in water, a length of PVC pipe filled with water is fine, the largest diameter (within reason) will give you the most accurate reading. 2" -3" about 4-6 feet long is ideal.

alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 08:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Thru-hull (needs a hole in the hull) transducers are as cheap as $100. Are you trying to salvage an out of production intrument? I have heard that Airmar, who builds almost all the transducers sold today can help you replace an older one they built.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 08:50   #5

A 5 gallon bucket filled with water, and a 8 inch piece of iron pipe laying on the bottom of it, should definitely give you a reading....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 09:06   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Don't know if 5 gallons will work or not but we have used 35 gallon trash cans filled with water to check transducers in the yard.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 13:00   #7

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Try and get at least a couple of feet, preferably more between the transducer and the bottom of whatever it is you use. The reason for this is that some older tranducers have more "ringing". They work by having a high frequency AC current across a piezo crystal. When the AC (send mode) is switched off, some transducers need a few milliseconds to stop "ringing" before they can "hear" anything, so these units have a bit of a "dead zone" close to the transducer. All sensors have this, it just varies a bit.

Hope this helps

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote